• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Pokemon Switch News

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
So, we just got some news on Pokemon Switch titles; 3 of them, in fact.

The first one is both a mobile game and a Switch game; Pokemon Quest.
https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/1001631951571238912

The second is confirmation of the Let's Go: Pikachu & Eevee games.

The third is an announcement that a core game is set for the second half of 2019.
https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/1001636250158223360

So, we get two spin offs to hold us over for the core game. What are your thoughts on this?

Personally, I don't care about Quest at all. The aesthetic does nothing for me. Let's Go doesn't do much for me, either; restricting it to Kanto, the most Boring region and generation, is very disappointing, it STILL has no free camera, and they went back to chibi-esque character models which, while it has its own charm, is a downgrade from Sun and Moon. Co-op play is actually really awesome, but only if it's not limited to local. If it is local-only, there's literally zero reason for me to care about it. Also, linking it with Pokemon Go is nice and all, but I never played that, so I don't personally care about that, either.

I know these are just to hold us over for the core game, but I'm still kinda disappointed. I wanted something on the core game, you know? And I REALLY hope that Let's Go is not an indication of what to expect from the core game. Give me open world free camera gen 8 or give me death!

I am so excited for Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee! I am looking forward to returning to my favorite region in HD, and the added coop makes me happy! Graphics are beautiful, but I agree that I preferred the character models in Gen 7 to this more chibi art style like in Gen 6.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
Lol, I was so excited when I watched the trailer. But then I read everything about it and my heart sank. Guess I still won't be getting a Switch anytime soon. :/

I'm not terribly fond of Let's Go. I like the art style (I never had much issue with the chibi style) and I don't hate Kanto but I do dislike Pokemon Go and everything it stands for. I can't get past the castration of wild pokemon encounters and (apparently, so far) forced motion controls always leave a bad taste in my mouth.

I'd play it, but I wouldn't pay much, if anything, for it based on what we know now.

Pokemon Quest looks...interesting? I'm not fond of the design but the gameplay looks decent enough. I don't know if it'll be free to play on mobile but if it is I'll try it out.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Well, now that we know Let's Go DOES in fact have online play, I'm a little more warm to it. If it has online co-op, that's a big plus in its favor. But I can't bring myself to be too fond of the chibi character models. And since I never played Go, I don't know what to expect from wild Pokemon, especially since you can't battle them. I'm gonna wait til we know more about the games to make a decision.

As far as Quest goes, it's engaging me pretty well. My main issue with it is the paid features that make it more playable. It's not like I can't play it as is, but buying the extras would make the process so much better and would mean less waiting in real-time to actually play through it. But something about free-to-play games makes me extremely determined to never spend a single solitary penny on them. At the very least, I think this game will last me a while because of this, so there is a silver lining.

The way wild pokemon work in Go (or at least did near launch, I haven't played it since) is simply "you find them and throw balls". You're rewarded with higher catch rate for good timing and being able to throw the ball a certain way, but even then it's little better than the safari zone.

Actually now that I think of it, it's worse than the safari zone. At least there you have rocks.

But back on topic, Let's Go seems to have a similar catching mechanic, based on the trailer, just with motion controls as the gimmick instead of touch.

I fell off the Pokemon bandwagon after Gen 2. I've since played Y and it was okay but i didn't like ORAS or S/M... so I fell off the wagon again.

Going back to Yellow with the original 151 in a world i'm familiar with in what will be the most advanced Pokemon game to date in terms of the tech it is appearing on is the best thing Let's Go could be for me.

I really wasn't sold on the Go-like catching at first. But Let's Go is a streamlined affair, so I honestly don't mind it. There'll be way less grinding for levels in the wild and way less frustration from KOing a Pokemon when you're trying to catch the damn thing.

The simplicity of Let's Go is what appeals to me. Having played the newest generation and remakes I really feel as if Pokemon has become far too complicated and demanding with how to attain certain Pokemon.
Having just the original 151 and the link to Pokemon Go may mean that I can finish a Pokedex for once in my life.

I have seen some really negative views on these games and had I not played ORAS and S/M I'd agree that the last game that needs streamlined or simplified would be a Pokemon game. But ORAS and S/M weren't enjoyable to me because of how obscure evolving and catching Pokemon could be.

Wild battles would still be nice, I agree, especially now that you can pick your battles with Pokemon appearing in the field. Takes out the time wasting random element. But really, I'm okay with not fighting them in the wild. That may make me a bad Pokemon fan, but I'm not the biggest to begin with.

I'm really loving the graphics and artstyle too. Nice chunky sprites and expressive faces. My heart melted when I saw the female trainer and Eevee share a moment;

tumblr_p9ipoe6ta51qf5hjqo3_500.gif

So cute! This is a moment you should be proud exists in your franchise.

I don't even mind the price of the Pokeball joycon. Sure, they'd just need to unbracket a line of code to have Mew be transferable between PoGo and Let's Go... but even without Mew being in the Pokeball Joycon that thing would still be as expensive as it is.
This way none PoGo players can still have Mew.

I like the walking mechanic too, there seems to be quite a few quality of life enhancements that I'm on board with such as having your Pokemon Storage boxes on you at all times, very good.

I will say though, even though I am a filthy Pokemon casual (thus the negativity I should feel here just flies over my head), Let's Go almost pushes the casual boat out too far in that you can play the game with one hand.

Playing the game with one hand sounds like half an experience in my head. Like it isn't fully involved and it'll be weird to play a game docked on a big TV and have a free hand.

Sure, I'll be able to eat cake and play at the same time but a one handed game... y'know? It just feels uninvolved, y'know?

I guess if I wanted to though I could just play with both trainers all the time. Twin stick RPG funsies.

Anyway... looks like Nintendo may want to make Pokemon annual between Let's Go and core games. If that is the case then I hope Let's Go does well because I'm already hyped for Let's Go Johto baby!

2nd Gen, HD, home and docked, the two best regions and the two best gens! Come at me bro!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom