• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Pokemon Sun and Moon Demo Impressions

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
So, today, the Pokemon company released the Pokemon Sun and Moon demo!

I have not booted it up yet, however I will soon. The game is downloading as I speak.

So what are your impressions of Pokemon Sun and Moon demo so far?

Disclaimer: This is NOT a thread to discuss the data mined Pokemon leak from the demo. Please take that to a spoiler marked separate thread, and do not spoil others.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I like how big the overworld is and that it isn't downsized like it always has been, but I has hoping it would be like Lumoise City in that it's always behind the back, the fixed camera angles in the town are a little wonky and feel rigid. And I don't like that just walking through a little gate in the town requires a loading screen, I understand for entering buildings but there's no reason for that for such a small gate. At least the camera angles are better on the route.

I absolutely love the battle cinematics though, seeing your trainer behind your pokemon is great and I like the new touch screen layout. The new animations for moves is awesome as well. Z-moves are super cool, too.

Also, the fact that you can't seem to access the hair stylist or clothing shop in the demo makes me sad, they are literally the first places I'm going to when I get the full game.

Last edited:
I'm very bothered by the fact that it does the soft reset before launching like Smash 4. I don't like the idea that a game is pushing my system to its limit, especially if it's a game I will be prone to playing for very long periods of time. Starting out when I get Moon, I'm probably going to be playing four or five hours at a time, and that kind of worries me. Also, not sure; I thought the 3D mode was supposed to be available everywhere this time around? Is that a New 3DS exclusive thing? I only have 3D mode available for use in the Pokefinder thus far. It's not even available for battles.

I still don't know what to think of the camera and scaling of the characters and overworld. Like, I get why they did it, but something about it just doesn't feel right. Especially since they didn't fully ditch the previous mechanics, like the beeping when you walk into a wall. It just feels very... meh. Also, I am SO bothered that I can't move around with the control pad. **** the circle pad. The circle pad isn't even utilized the way it should be. With the fullscaling as it is, you should be able to adjust your walking speed with it, but you can't. Ridiculous.

I'm playing some pokemon-catching challenge right now. But, playing the demo raises so many questions, and I actually feel suffocated because some of them I can't even begin to describe.

I thought the demo was alright. I'm kind of intrigued to see what the rest of the gyms in the full games will look like since the one they had in the demo was so much different. Overall I like the feel of the game and I look forward to playing the full game in a couple of weeks.

Night Owl

~Momentai
It seemed like a very very small taste of the actual game. It took me longer to download it than it did to actually play it.

I seem to remember oras demo having more content.

I guess the limited content means that the demo didn't spoil too much lol.

Unless there are other things that I somehow missed?

I made sure to talk to every character that I could, and a few of them mentioned "visiting them again in x amount of days" and I'm assuming that's measured in real time; I plan to talk to them again today after my 3ds finishes charging to see if the day count went down any. If that's the case, there might be some more content later. One of the people was in the ferry service building, asking you to see her off in 24 days (as of yesterday), and the other was a police officer in front of the aforementioned building saying there's an investigation for something that's going to occur in 18 days (as of yesterday).

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
It seemed like a very very small taste of the actual game. It took me longer to download it than it did to actually play it.

I seem to remember oras demo having more content.

I guess the limited content means that the demo didn't spoil too much lol.

I made sure to talk to every character that I could, and a few of them mentioned "visiting them again in x amount of days" and I'm assuming that's measured in real time; I plan to talk to them again today after my 3ds finishes charging to see if the day count went down any. If that's the case, there might be some more content later. One of the people was in the ferry service building, asking you to see her off in 24 days (as of yesterday), and the other was a police officer in front of the aforementioned building saying there's an investigation for something that's going to occur in 18 days (as of yesterday).
Yes, those events are all based in real time.

"Guy in front of Pokemon Center: Tomorrow (October 19th)

Girl on street corner: 5 days (October 23rd)

Guy with a Pikachu in Town Hall: 12 days (October 30th)

Policeman by the docks: 18 days (November 5th)

Girl in the ferry building: 24 days (November 11th)"

This was spread around yesterday so obviously "tomorrow" would be today.

Night Owl

~Momentai
Yes, those events are all based in real time.

"Guy in front of Pokemon Center: Tomorrow (October 19th)

Girl on street corner: 5 days (October 23rd)

Guy with a Pikachu in Town Hall: 12 days (October 30th)

Policeman by the docks: 18 days (November 5th)

Girl in the ferry building: 24 days (November 11th)"

This was spread around yesterday so obviously "tomorrow" would be today.
I think those "events" are relative to when you start playing the demo.
Eg. the tomorrow guy still says come back tomorrow for me when I started playing the demo this morning.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I think those "events" are relative to when you start playing the demo.
Eg. the tomorrow guy still says come back tomorrow for me when I started playing the demo this morning.
Hmm, that's weird. I haven't heard about anyone else having such a problem. Though it was still nighttime for me when i opened the demo this morning, but the event still happened.

I'll update this as the days pass but for now here are all the dates and people you can obtain things from (assuming you started yesterday)

1 Day Later (October 19th)

Talk to the man standing outside the Pokemon Center.
  • Reward: 10 Pretty Wings
5 Days Later (October 23rd)
Talk to the woman standing by the street sign in the bottom left corner of town.
  • Reward: Unknown
12 Days Later (October 30th)
Talk to the man with the Pikachu inside Hau’oli City Hall.
18 Days Later (November 5th)
Talk to the policeman by the lamppost on the Marina.
24 Days Later (November 11th)
Talk to the first woman you see inside the Ferry Terminal on the Marina.
30/31 Days Later? (November 17th/18th)
Talk to the cafe owner inside the Pokemon Center, who is supposed to return in “about a month.” It’s still unclear if this is one of the events or not.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Talk to the cafe owner inside the Pokemon Center, who is supposed to return in “about a month.” It’s still unclear if this is one of the events or not.
I thought it was just a joke about how the game comes out in a month, same as the poke mart dude and the girl in front of the clothing shop (probably).

Night Owl

~Momentai
Hmm, that's weird. I haven't heard about anyone else having such a problem. Though it was still nighttime for me when i opened the demo this morning, but the event still happened.
Since the demo doesn't seem to connect to the internet, it seems to count time after the demo was started.
I'll know for sure tomorrow if I get the stuff .
edit: It's after midnight and I was able to get the stuff. So the timing is number of days after you start playing the demo. /edit

Someone might be able to time travel and get the stuff then...

Last edited:

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Since the demo doesn't seem to connect to the internet, it seems to count time after the demo was started.
I'll know for sure tomorrow if I get the stuff .

Someone might be able to time travel and get the stuff then...
Actually, you might be onto something. That way would be more fair. I mean, if someone couldn't get the demo right away, they'd miss out on some of that stuff.

Night Owl

~Momentai
I know I edit my previous post, But after it turned midnight on my 3ds , (1 am local time since i never bother changing my clock), I was able to get the guy who kept telling me to come back the next day.

So it seems that the demo counts the number of date changes since you started playing the demo for the events.
Anyone who downloaded and started late will still be able to get all the rewards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom