• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Pokemon Scarlet and Violet

The Dashing Darknut

DD, the dashing one
reading his post made me think of XY, of which I don't even remember their freaking names besides Shauna, and that's purely b/c of the show
Silver and Gary/Blue made way more of a lasting impression
I didn’t like the Kalos rivals either. I was just saying that Wally is pretty good, he develops a bit and feels very real for his age, and his final battle did leave a good impression, for me at least. He’s friendly but a good rival character

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I didn’t like the Kalos rivals either. I was just saying that Wally is pretty good, he develops a bit and feels very real for his age, and his final battle did leave a good impression, for me at least. He’s friendly but a good rival character
I don't even think of him as a rival, but I played Emerald so I know they expanded on him a bit in the remakes

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Im tired of people acting like rivals are automatically better when their entire personality revolves around them being mean spirited.

Like yeah, the gen 6-8 rivals had very little personality but its not like Blue or Silver were any better. Id prefer if the rivals had a bit more personality or interesting characteristics than just “asshole” and Blue especially just doesn’t cut it. Silver is a little better just because of the fact that he actually has an arc of sorts and his dad is the main villain of the previous games, but I still wouldn’t call him a particularly good character.

If you want a good rival, then Cheren and Hugh are easily some of the best in the series. Barry and Brendan/May were also great, and while I’m on the fence about Bianca she’s still far and away better than either Blue or Silver.

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
they're finally returning to the roots of pokemon- everyone knows that in RBY, the first game in the series, you could pretty much go anywhere and beat the eight dungeons gyms in any order

thePlinko

ZD Legend
they're finally returning to the roots of pokemon- everyone knows that in RBY, the first game in the series, you could pretty much go anywhere and beat the eight dungeons gyms in any order
I mean… no you couldn’t. There was more freedom, sure, but there were still restrictions. You had to do Brock first, misty second, and Giovanni last.

Also, this aspect of the games actively hurt gen 2 in particular, so im pretty skeptical of it returning here unless they do some sort of level scaling.

MW7

I mean… no you couldn’t. There was more freedom, sure, but there were still restrictions. You had to do Brock first, misty second, and Giovanni last.

Also, this aspect of the games actively hurt gen 2 in particular, so im pretty skeptical of it returning here unless they do some sort of level scaling.
On the other hand if they do level scaling and even adjust teams based on the order, it would be extremely replayable. For example it really wouldn't be that hard for them to do something like the first 3 gyms are capped at 3 pokemon for the leader, and scale up the levels and number of pokemon depending on how many badges you have. This way you wouldn't even know what a leader's full team would be on a subsequent playthrough. I know this is wishful thinking, but they have to be aware that they can't just do what they did in gen 2 and it will be accepted.

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
On the other hand if they do level scaling and even adjust teams based on the order, it would be extremely replayable. For example it really wouldn't be that hard for them to do something like the first 3 gyms are capped at 3 pokemon for the leader, and scale up the levels and number of pokemon depending on how many badges you have. This way you wouldn't even know what a leader's full team would be on a subsequent playthrough. I know this is wishful thinking, but they have to be aware that they can't just do what they did in gen 2 and it will be accepted.
for me pokemon replayability depends on the story more than pathing
like emerald is the most linear game in the series but it's the only one I'll replay just because the pacing's so good
if the open world means you can REALLY build wildly different teams right from the start then I'm listening
imagine all the monotype runs you can do

Paldea looks like the best region since Pokémon went 3D.

The fact that you can tackle gyms in any order is a dream come true. I wonder how having the cover legendary with you throughout will affect the game, though. I assume you'll only use them as ride Pokémon for most of the adventure, and then you'll be able to battle and catch them to officially join your party towards the end of the game. Being able to use a legendary in battle early on would break the games.

Terastallized Pokémon look like porcelain. I think it looks neat visually, and changing types will have a big impact on gameplay, though I scratched my head when they mentioned grass and water Eevee. Leafeon and Vaporeon are off crying in the corner.

thePlinko

ZD Legend
This trailer was exactly what I expected it to be. The only real thing of note was this gens mega evolution clone that adds nothing, will be replaced in 3 years, and just feels like an excuse for the rest of the game to be lacking in content like 8 was.

Also
5E3358B0-8A90-4EB0-9507-2591E706A91E.jpeg
pooper

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom