• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Pokemon Scarlet and Violet

ExLight

why
Forum Volunteer
Potential spoilers for those who are 100% unaware of leaks.

====

Massive amount of leaks showcasing some of the new pokémon dropped recently.
Now that we're approaching release date, I can probably say with confidence that SV's promotion campaign was extremely subpar.

I am personaly extremely disappointed with the new pokémon designs. It clearly took a shift from the westernized/cartoony designs from James Turner's management into a fairly bland and generic one with this new one. It feels like the pokémon designs are gradually losing its identity, and I can't help but partially attribute part of the issue to concepts that focused on recycling old designs with minimal changes in the past few generations (regional variants, totems, dynamax, megas) instead of focusing on developing strongly original designs.

When discussing the leaks with some friends in some pokémon groups it seemed to be the unanimous agreement that the current direction has little to no quality filter: a lot of the new pokémon are good looking, but another chunk is overwhelmingly bad. Back in Gen V, when this part was still directed and supervised by Ken Sugimori, the same said in an interview that during development the team made "around three times more Pokemon than we intend to actually use in the game". They definitely seem to definitely be going for quantity over quality this time.

Some pokémon look like just the same species but awkwardly big or distorted, like Dunsparce's evolution or Sprigatito's final evolution. Some look almost AI generated like the strange pink blobs that hold hammers, the double-headed pepper ones, the frill thing, or the dolphin evolution. Some others are extremely polluted design wise (car engine thing, ostrich, the kamen rider grasshopper), some are overly simplistic (i.e. the yellow fish, bramblin, the rat family). Some other designs are just absurdly anatomically (this considering organic inspired ones), specially the saber-tooth tiger thing. There's an oversaturation of certain ideas too, why the need for at least 3 similar looking dog evolution lines in a single generation? And they don't seem to be related, it's a bit insane, why not save some for future generations?

Some of the concepts of this gen feel extremely strange so far, specially the Future Paradox Forms. Turning pokémon into robots isn't really something that makes sense, and I feel like they should've taken a more organic approach. Turning them into cyborgs (would still be pretty bad because that's not how evolution works) or giving them some speculative evolution with bizarre features (there are amazing books that approach this kind of fiction, it has ton of potential) would've been infinitely better alternatives.
The Past Paradox Forms aren't horrible, but they're extremely boring. They're literally the pokémon with messier hair. Even Magneton got hair, like, why? (I get that it's a reference to magnetic iron powder, doesn't mean it's not bad, plus it's a recycled concept as it was already seen in Alolan Geodude's line).
Another bizarre 'form' concept they're implementing is the whole "oh these pokémon are actually completely different species but look very similar to existing ones" they pulled for digglet and tentacool. Like, why? Regardless of it possibly having a plot explanation, It once again goes back into that loop of lack of originality self-feeding unoriginal content creation that should've never been approved by the current director.

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
FhjwJiBXwAADV_V

Looks like version exclusives are fairly shallow, should make completing the dex easy

MW7

Tomorrow I'm heading down to pick up darling daughter's copy. That'll give me a good look at it, though I do plan on picking up violet for myself later. The starters, Greavard, and Lechon are my favorite designs this gen. You guys excited?
I'm pretty excited. I saw some of the reviews said that the graphical performance held back the game, but I care much more about the gameplay so that doesn't hurt my enthusiasm at all. I think I'm going with Quaxly as my starter because I like the typing the best.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
Damn is that a timezone thing?
Yeah that’s right, our local game store opened two hours ago so I went in to pick it up and just played through the first hour of the game. Pretty interesting opening sequence so far. (spoilers ahead)

I went in without any knowledge of the game and I wasn’t expecting to see let alone get Miraidon so quickly. I had to stop for work just after obtaining Miraidon.

accio boomerang

you've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?
I have been playing it for the last few hours and I really like it! I know that there is a lot of people who aren't happy but I hope you guys have fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom