• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Pokemon Scarlet and Violet

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator

Today's Pokemon Presents gave us a reveal trailer of gen 9 Pokemon games, Scarlet and Violet. What are your thoughts?

Personally I think its way too soon. The footage in this trailer is incredibly rough. Legends Arceus looks a lot better than this does. Hoping that will change in time, but still. The end of this year is pretty fast. How did they split development between Arceus and this?

The new starters are pretty cute, I'm hoping I also like their evolutions. Not a big fan of the player character designs, though. There better be good fashion.

It seems like this gen is following Arceus's lead, or at least I hope so. The main thing I need them to carry over is the world-to-battle transitions. We cannot do without that anymore, that was such a massive step up it would really suck to lose it.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
That starter doggo is adorable, shame it's a grass type. Captain bird looks good tho, hopefully he stays consistent with his evos. I'm still a little behind in the world of Pokemon overall, so hopefully I can be a bit more caught up once these come out.

Loving the starters. For the first time in a long time, I can't decide which to go with.

Technically, it does look rough. But I'm still optimistic. The world looks a lot more open. Game Freak is hopefully incorporating a lot of what they learned from Legends Arceus.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator

Gorozoron

wild ride
if that cat turns bipedal by its final evolution, I'm gonna kick someone
It will and everyone who picked it shall forever be bullied because of it
Sad Lam.png
Anyway this looks good
Pokemon will always have a tight grip on my soul and I hate that lol, so I'm def going to get it at some point
My only gripe is how lame the trainers look

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
if that cat turns bipedal by its final evolution, I'm gonna kick someone
Huge mood. I would love it to become a quadruped lion or something. Fluffy grassy mane with flowers in it and stuff. That would be perf.

But knowing gamefreak, it's probably just gonna be another incineraor and it'll be half fighting-type somehow :crylaugh:

ExLight

why
Forum Volunteer
Honestly too soon for them to be putting out another gen like this, but as a fan I would be lying if I said I'm not hyped lol
The in-game looks very rough still, specially some textures and areas, but they have plenty of time to fix things up without rushing. Surprised they decided to show us some of it already. The trainer model looks fairly good, but a bit unlike the usual Pokémon style, in Twitter JP some people were making fun of it, and I can kinda see why lol.

I like the pokémon designs so far, especially the grass cat.
The duck is my least favorite one probably, because it reminds me too much of Ducklett; although the bright blue feet might hint to a blue-footed booby which is cool;

I'm fine with Spain (and possibly also Portugal) as the place that inspired the new region, but I wish they had gone a bit bolder and picked a culturally different one, not another western European country since we already had Kalos (France) and Galar (UK) recently

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I have no investment in Pokemon games since I still haven't played one, unless Pokemom Stadium and Pokemon Snap count.

The game looks pretty rough, so I'm surprised they are wanting to release it by the end of the year. The starters look cool at least.

Kirino

Tatakae
This does seem pretty fast after Arceus, but I like that they're incorporating aspect of it into this game. The starters seem neat too, and so far I like them better than the ones in Sword/Shield. Fire one is my favorite.
These aren't pokemon what? I saw these in a discord and assumed they were fakemons
Huge departure from traditional mons art style and I don't like it at alll
How so? They look pretty normal to me.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Sigh. I called it.

You’d think that the Pokémon company would be willing to hold off on gen IX for a little while since that might just interfere with PLA and BDSP sales, but nope. They gotta keep pumping out this stuff, only for it to be sub-par at best.

I’m a little curious why they went with Scarlet and Violet. The last few generations have all had names that correlate decently well with the themes of the game, and I’m struggling to think of any theming that would work with “colors that are just specific shades of other colors but people like my sister will insist that they’re actual colors.”

I’m ok with having another Western European country, but I’m hoping that they actually put the effort into making the region feel like the place it’s based on. SwSh didn’t outside of random one off steampunk crap and making every gym leader have a rabid fanbase chanting like it was a soccer match. Personally I hoped for another North American region, as we only have one in the mainline series and the continent is filled with far more distinct cultures than “business people.” But that’s just my bias talking, Spain (I think) is a great setting for a region.

I like the starters…. mostly. There overall much, much better than the crap we got last gen. The Galar starters are easily some of the worst in the series, rivaled only by the Johto starters. Luckily I think these are pretty good. I’m really not a fan of the fire starter. It looks like a bad fusion of appleton and totodile, 2 Pokémon I’m already not particularly fond of. I really do like the Grass and Water starters, and I was debating which one I liked better until I saw their names. Quaxly is an amazing name and I shall be choosing this if I actually get the game.

That’s a massive “if” by the way. After how irredeemably bad SwSh and BDSP were, I’m incredibly skeptical. I don’t think that anything in the trailer looked particularly bad, but that’s just a trailer. I’d be ok with sub-par graphics if they included the national dex, but this is Game Freak we’re talking about. Masuda couldn’t be bothered to hire a bigger team if his life depended on it, despite being given an ample budget. There’s absolutely no reason why every Pokémon that was in SwSh shouldn’t be here at the very least, as all they have to do is copy and paste from there, but they’ll think of one.

Personally, I can’t wait for them to not include any previous gimmick and instead force another 1-off gimmick in the game that’ll add absolutely nothing of value. They’ll probably use that as an excuse for why the rest of the game will suck.

If you couldn’t tell, I’m not particularly excited for this. It could be good, and every point I’ve made so far is absolutely just based on GF’s previous behavior and not any confirmed points on the game, but Pokemons track record has been shaky at best as of late. PLA was pretty good, it’s up to this game to determine if it was actually indicative of the franchise moving forward or just a fluke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom