• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Pokemon Reborn - Dark, Gritty Pokemon

QoQW73N.png

Pokemon Reborn is fan-made game that is probably the best I've ever played. It's not a rom hack, but rather something completely independent, created by one super nice girl who goes by the name Amethyst with RPG Maker. She's poured tons of time and effort into designing it, and it really shows.

The game itself is a very dark, gritty rendition of the Pokemon universe. But it's not so dark and gritty that you think things are really going off the deep end into Creepypasta territory. It presents a much more realist interpretation of what a world with Pokemon would actually be like, with enormously powerful Pokemon causing collateral damage and many accidental deaths of humans, and natural human greed and desire playing a huge part in individual's motives. The villainous team, Team Meteor, is a very cunning organization that takes Pokemon and abuses the creatures in order to achieve an ideal that turns out to be somewhat philosophical, and never feels like stupid mustache-twirling evil.

But I don't want to ruin the story, mood, or atmosphere for you guys, because that's a huge part of what makes this fan-game so special; you're on your own to find out what it is. There are no walk-throughs, and there is very little help for you unless you seek it out from other players. This game is also DIFFICULT. Amethyst herself is a competitive battler, and I drew inspiration from her Pokemon Reborn League as the basis for our little league on DGN. But because of her competitive background, she's integrated all of it into her game. You will not succeed by pressing the A button on attacks that are super effective.

You will need to know what you're doing, and it's a true testament to how good you really are at Pokemon if you can conquer the maddening challenges of this game.

teaser5.png
teaser12.png

Being a huge fan of Pokemon, Amethyst has also worked in tons of additional quirks that will make hardcore fans happy. Pokemon with their Hidden Abilities can be found natural in the wild, and even your starter can have its Hidden Ability! (So if you want a Speed Boost Blaziken, go right ahead. But it won't help you as much as you think. :P) Shiny Pokemon are also found in the wild with a much higher encounter rate, meaning you could very well find a shiny version of your favorite Pokemon no problem. It's little details like this that make the experience so much more enjoyable on top of the setting and characters that you'll find yourself invested in.

Of course, the music is something that makes this game twice as good as it would normally be. All of the music is done by GlitchxCity of Youtube fame, who's music presents a hard-rocking, dark techno vibe. Not only is much of the music some of her own original creations, but the remixes she does of classic Pokemon tunes is nothing short of phenomenal. The music captures the mood of the game perfectly, and if you've been a fan through all six generations, you'll find yourself squealing like a fan-girl at all the remixes that are in store.

I don't want to spoil much else, because hopefully you guys will give it a try and have as good a time as I have so far. I'll leave my current team though, as it has served me quite well and given me somewhat of a fighting chance against the madness that is the difficulty of this game.

Infernape(Flame-Fist)
Ability: Iron Fist
-Close Combat
-Mach Punch
-Flame Wheel
-Taunt

Crobat(Krobar)
Ability: Inner Focus
-Poison Fang
-Confuse Ray
-Acrobatics
-Bite

Sharpedo(Photon)
Ability: Speed Boost
-Slash
-Crunch
-Ice Fang
-Aqua Jey

Honchcrow (BigBoss)
Ability: Moxie
-Nightshade
-Shadow Ball
-Foul Play
-Wing Attack

Venasaur
Ability: Chlorophyll
-Growth
-Leech Seed
-Sleep Powder
-Petal Dance

Ninetales(Mozilla)
Ability: Drought
-Will-O-Wisp
-Extrasensory
-Hex
-Flamethrower

It is, of course, completely free to play. It's a huge game, so it may take some time to download, but it's worth it. Hopefully you guys will check it out - http://www.pokemonreborn.com/game/

Last edited:

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
I just downloaded it, and I plan to enjoy my playthrough of it.

Starting it off on a bad foot, though. I couldn't even win the first fight... or the second one... or the THIRD. Holy crap I suck.

*Ok so I've been listening to the soundtrack while working on other things - ermagerd it's so friggin' amazing!*

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom