• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Pokemon Gray(?): Predictions

Justeazy

Todo is the pfuf!
As we all know (at least, you should know; this is the Pokemon section of the forums), Nintendo and Game Freak have recently announced that the current games, Pokemon Black and Pokemon White, are all we will be getting for "Generation five". They were very specific when they stated this. They did not say "this generation" or say "for this installment", but they specifically said generation five. They have also recently stated that they "are done with this generation with Pokémon Black and White Edition".

However, recently Nintendo also registered the domain name "PokemonGray.com". Why would they do this if they have no intentions of making an expansion to Generation V?

We all know they like their color themes. Red, Blue, (Green,) and Yellow; basic colors. Gold, Silver, Crystal; expensive things. Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald; gems. Diamond, Pearl, Platinum; again, precious materials. Black and White; monochrome, but also basic colors (or lack thereof, depending on how you define a color) again. Black and white also followed in the footsteps of R/B/(G/)Y, with only one generation of pokemon and only one involved story line. There's no doubt Pokemon Gray is coming, so, what's coming for Pokemon Gray?

Well, here's what I think. Pokemon Gray will be released, and it will be the first in the next step of "Pokemon Evolution".

We all know that Nintendo has a history of releasing games that are compatible with their older and their newer systems, but only have all the content unlocked on the newest systems. Most notably with the handhelds. This is a marketing gimmick, but it works exceptionally well on boosting sales for their newer systems. Among many other first-party games, they did this with Yellow, where the color, as well as a few other minor things, were only accessed when playing on the GBC, although the game was entirely GB compatible. They also did this with LoZ: OoA and OoS, where a secret shop and few other bonuses were only available while playing this GBC game on a GBA. Then, they did this again with Pokemon where Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Red/Blue Rescue team were for the GBA/DS exclusively, and you had to get a DS, and both games, to fully complete either game.

First off, I believe that Pokemon Gray will use this gimmick again. I think that I'll be a game entirely on a DS cartridge, but it will have exclusive bonus content only accessible on a 3DS, such as possibly 3D pokedex images, possibly an extra region or area to train and catch pokemon, and maybe an exclusive legendary to download, just to name a few of the possibilities. But we're still left with the problem that they specifically said there will be nothing more in Generation V.

I mentioned earlier that I believe Pokemon Gray will be released, regardless of the end to Generation V. I believe it will follow in the footsteps of Black and White, and include the same pokemon, as well as the same regions and characters. However, I also believe that they were serious when they said it's the end of the generation. But, what they didn't say is that it's also the end of all generations.

Nintendo will release Pokemon Gray, with complete DS compatibility. They will also release it with bonus content accessible only on the 3DS. They will, finally, release DLC through the 3DS e-shop. This DLC will not only include shiny, rare, and legendary pokemon, but it will also include new pokemon, new areas, and new challenges. Nintendo will be doing away with generations all together to make the next step; a series of games that evolves over time as do we. There will always be new adventures to take because, instead of getting stuck with the same game, the game changes, it adapts, and it's reinvented constantly.

Nintendo may make series of carts that have a base story-line and can gain extra DLC. After all, there should be plenty of room on those DS carts in Black and White, since they took out nearly all of the information on the old generations to start fresh. They also could possibly make the games, and even entire systems, completely download-and-play. Meaning we'll do away with cartridges and solely play on the system, not just Pokemon, but everything, eventually.

Either way, Nintendo may be done with Generation V, but they are doing something with Pokemon Gray, and they are not even close to being done with the Pokemon franchise.

What does this mean for us? Well, for one, we're at the prime, because we, the fans, can never be in a better position to experience Pokemon in all it's glory as it grows and evolves before our very eyes. Pokemon Dungeon is great where it is, because we'll not only be expanding Pokemon Gray, but everything at the same time, and Zelda Dungeon is here with us through it all. A Pokemon Gray Walkthrough may be impossible, or it may be like the Never Ending Story, always growing. But either way, I don't think that this can be anything but good news.

So, what do you think? Any ideas on what'll be in store for us with Pokemon Gray/? Am I completely insane? Post your thoughts, criticisms, or lulz.

Why would they do this if they have no intentions of making an expansion to Generation V?

This Statement is false. Some Spanish Game Freak representitive said that they had no intention to make a expantion game whereas Junichi Masuda never recalled Game Freak saying that there wasn't going to be a expansion game. Junichi Masuda himself was suprised about this rumor. Hope that help buddy. ;)

Anyway, moving on, I did put a list of things that might be in Pokemon "Gray" on Facebook, but I can't remember them by heart.
I think it went as follows:

Catch Kyurem at level 50, like Reshiram and Zekrom in Pokemon Black and White.
However, Kyurem will have a second form, just like Giratina has (I think this has been confirmed, I'm not 100% sure)
Kyurem will have the moves: Freeze Shock and Ice Burn when you capture it
An extended story on Kyurem's origin
Catch both Reshiram and Zekrom at Level 75, at Dragon Spiral Tower.
Catch both Landorus and Thundurus at Level 50 around Unova.
Re-Battle Gym Leaders
Include the Battle Frontier somewhere in Unova
Be able to obtain starters and legendaries of previous generations

I think that was the list. What do you think of the ideas guys?

Last edited:

Justeazy

Todo is the pfuf!
This Statement is false. Some Spanish Game Freak representitive said that they had no intention to make a expantion game whereas Junichi Masuda never recalled Game Freak saying that there wasn't going to be a expansion game. Junichi Masuda himself was suprised about this rumor. Hope that help buddy. ;)
Just want to touch back, but we actually had a conversation about this very thing in the staff chat before I posted this. We looked into it, and only very few, non-reputable sites are reporting this information, with no factual source other than saying "Junichi Masuda stated that...." There is no transcript, video, or recording of him ever saying what he is said to have said, and the quote that they give isn't even in context. This is floating around a few unknown sites and found it's way into bulbapedia, where it grew widespread attention, before it was removed, but it was never sourced or documented properly. Furthermore, this was brought up in February. This is counterpointed by a quote from July in which Tsunekazu Ishihara, the CEO of the Pokemon Company has said they're working on something apart from their already revealed games that will "surprise players." They hope to continue taking care of DS owners, while still showing what can be done on the 3DS. This information is a big basis on why I believed that it will be a DS/3DS cartridge and follow the "bonuses for using new hardware" trend that Nintendo loves so much.

This also leads me to believe that the Junichi Masuda quote was a hoax. To further this point, the earliest we can date this "information" was on a site titled "pokemongray.wordpress.com". It seems pretty simple that a wordpress site, operating from the name pokemongray, would want to spread a false rumor that the very game that is the foundation of the site was still in development, as without the belief in the game the site would wither and die. In fact, it has done exactly that, with the last post on February 24th, five days after the Junichi Masuda quote myth originated.

tl;dr: That quote is not credible, and has been counteracted by two credible statements, both earlier and later than that supposed quote. Without further information or documentation, I have no reason to believe it as reliable information and thus I ignored it when making my analysis.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom