• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Pokemon for DS - Suggestions?

So, I was a huge fan of the original Pokemon games for GameBoy (Red, Blue, Yellow), but haven't played another one since then. I would like to get one for my DS, but I need some suggestions on which one to buy. I tried reading reviews online, but of course I couldn't really get any solid opinions. So, given the fact that I liked the originals, what would you suggest? Diamond/Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold/SoulSilver, or Black/White? Input appreciated.

ZeldaOcarina

Princess of Hyrule
I would say Black/White, personally. There is more involved to it, and the after-Elite-Four plot is more fun. You also get the Dream World, if you sign up for it (I suggest you do). The only unfortunate part is that it replaces contests with musicals. :/

I would definitely recommend Black/White, I think they are the best Pokemon games to date, they have a more involved storyline, I personally like a lot of the new Pokemon that are introduced and I think they are the most difficult yet, with opponent's levels not being too far behind yours and then jumping up hugely after the elite four.

I would suggest Black/White, personally.

B/W has so much more content, the plot is good (on Pokémon-level), the game mechanics are good and in case you want to train Pokémons on a more complex level (IV breeding, EV training, all that) any DS game is good for that, but personally I liked B/W.

Even if you haven't played original Silver and Gold, you should just get B/W because it has more content and stuff to do in it.

Why do so many people like Black and White? I personally think that all of the Pokemon in B/W are bland and unimaginative. Anyway, I would go with Soul Silver or Heart Gold.

Why do so many people like Black and White? I personally think that all of the Pokemon in B/W are bland and unimaginative. Anyway, I would go with Soul Silver or Heart Gold.

Hmmm, Black and White Pokemon are unimaginative?

Voltorb, Electrode, Magnemite, Magneton, Grimer, Muk, Caterpie, Beedril, Weedle, Ledyba, Butterfree, Geodude, Ekans, Mareep, Sunkern, and many many more say hi.

Not that I dislike the earlier generation Pokemon such as the ones above, it's just that if you're going to argue that Black and White Pokemon are unimaginative, you're going to have reflect on the earlier Pokemon too.

Anyways, I suggest Black and White. It has the best soundtrack in the series, a more engrossing storyline than any other Pokemon game, some awesome new gameplay additions, and the Pokemon, while weird at first, grow on you extremely quickly. I was one of the people that hated the 5th gen Pokemon at first, but now they're completely awesome.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! Since I'm leaving on a trip in the next few days I went out and bought White today, since the majority seemed to recommend that. (Might try out HG/SS later, but for now White will do.) I feel like I've regained part of my childhood. :D

But really, you haven't played Gold or Silver? That's outrageous!
Yeah, I know, I'm a terrible person. What can I say?

A word of advice: Be open to the game as you play. Don't expect everything to be the same, this will allow nostalgia to blind you from seeing the awesomeness in these games. Black and White is the newest itteration of the series and definitely the most advanced. (And my personal favorite next to Ruby/Sapphire IMO.)

Last edited:
A word of advice: Be open to the game as you play. Don't expect everything to be the same, this will allow nostalgia to blind you from seeing the awesomeness in these games. Black and White is the newest itteration of the series and definitely the most advanced. (And my personal favorite next to Ruby/Sapphire IMO.)

Thanks for the advice; I'll be sure to keep that in mind. I am a little bit of a nostalgia lover, so I will have to distance myself a bit. Again, my thanks!

(I do agree already that the soundtrack is amazing!)

ZeldaOcarina

Princess of Hyrule
Thank you everyone for your suggestions! Since I'm leaving on a trip in the next few days I went out and bought White today, since the majority seemed to recommend that.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it. :) I don't know if you play with Wi-Fi, but it is totally worth it. The Global Trading System, and the Battle Subway are totally improvements over the last games. Enjoy your trip!

I'm sure you'll enjoy it. :) I don't know if you play with Wi-Fi, but it is totally worth it. The Global Trading System, and the Battle Subway are totally improvements over the last games. Enjoy your trip!
Well, I have WiFi, but I've never really had anyone to play with over WiFi, so I've been leaving it unconnected to conserve battery. I might try it out sometime, though. :)

Dan

Heart gold or Soul Silver !
IMO the best in the series although I haven't played Black or White

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom