• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Pokemon Cards

Hylian Pants

Nintendo Wench
Did anyone besides myself ever actually have Pokemon card battles? I collected around the same time when I began playing the games, at age 8 or 9, and would get together with my friends and have good old fashioned card battles. It seems that whenever I ask people if they were into Pokemon when they were kids, they only ever mention the video games, sometimes they mention they collected cards, but very few people I've asked actually played with them.

I recently found my old card binder. It's not a huge collection, pretty much all first generation, but I have some cool ones, even some of the promo cards from the early movies and some Japanese holographic ones that I have no idea where I got them... Alas, I did have the coveted holographic Charizard at one point, but lost it long ago, since my dumb kid-self was so proud that I carried it everywhere I went. sigh... So anyone else take part in the nerdy goodness of card battling/collecting?

ShaneOMac713

The Seal has been Broken
When I was five I did it all the time most of the time by my self because my family didn't know how to but I use to but two years later I decided to stop and sell them I still haven't sold them and it has been 5 years.

Smitie

The Dutch Kusagari
I used to have some pokemon cards. The first cards we had here were not the trading cards for the card game though and I think they stopped after cloyster (I have no idea why and what company made them). Later the trading cards were popular and I got all the cards that my friends didn't want. Eventually I had some cool ones, but my mom threw them away without my permission... We also had pokemon flippos that you got with lays crisps that were very popular. I had a lot of those and even some from Turkey which were the size of at least four regular flippos :P

I never played the battle game though and too be honest I still don't know how it works :xd:

SuperSilly

Horizon Walker
I used to have Pokémon card battles with my siblings when we were younger, this is actually the only form of Pokémon I've ever really played. :P I didn't have a ton of cards, and I think most of mine were first gen as well. My sister closest in age to me was really the only one of my siblings who had a deck that could compete with mine, and we each had cards the other envied. (Though we never traded them to each other.;))

I don't think I had anything too rare, a couple holo cards and some promo cards which came with movies. My sister and I eventually combined our decks when we were older, basically for convenience in storage and memories. Though after a while my youngest siblings, who used to just borrow my/my sister closest in age's cards, started to buy newer Pokémon cards and I gave some to them.

I also remember drawing my own Pikachu for the cover of my binder, I think it's still lying around somewhere.. It was a terrible picture, drawn in crayon of course, and the slightly pudgy Pikachu was flying on thunderbolts. Must have drawn it when I was 6 or 7. My binder was also spotted with stickers, though I don't recall them being Pokémon stickers. :xd:

Last edited:

romani64

PASTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
well, i will say 2 things.
if i knew anyone THAN that liked pokemon, i would have...
and if i did know anyone who liked pokemon and WANTED to play the card game, we wouldent know to play it...
so really...no one ever won...:/

My friends and I were mainly just collectors. None of us knew HOW to actually play the card game:lol:. If we did "battle", we would just take turns hitting each other with our pokemon's attacks, like the Gameboy games. We never used the energy cards. This, of course, means whoever had a Charizard would win automatically.

Speaking of which, I remember exactly where I was when I got my holographic Charizard card. It was an amazing day.:D

amaterasu

Writer
I used to have craploads of Pokemon Cards from when they were "cool" at my school. it was one of the few fads that i could understand and take part in. it took us a while to figure out how to actually play, but we did play the game. then it changed to some other random ****. i still have a few, and if i could just turn back the clock and go back to when pokemon cards were awesome, i would.

Hylian Pants

Nintendo Wench
(Though we never traded them to each other.;))
Oh gosh, yeah, that was like our unwritten rule between me and my, like, 2 other card-playing friends. All of us were way too attached to even consider trading, even though the cards were meant to be traded :P

I also remember drawing my own Pikachu for the cover of my binder, I think it's still lying around somewhere.. It was a terrible picture, drawn in crayon of course, and the slightly pudgy Pikachu was flying on thunderbolts. Must have drawn it when I was 6 or 7. My binder was also spotted with stickers, though I don't recall them being Pokémon stickers. :xd:

My first card binder was this big blue school binder converted to hold penny sleeves. My sister drew a big Squirtle on computer paper to put in the cover slip. It was actually a good drawing, she copied it from the card. I guess at some point I put all my cards in a more "official" binder. When I rediscovered them, they were in a red, laminated bound binder with the Pokemon logo and a Raichu. I feel like I had many more cards in that blue one though, so hopefully I'll find it one day...

My friends and I were mainly just collectors. None of us knew HOW to actually play the card game:lol:. If we did "battle", we would just take turns hitting each other with our pokemon's attacks, like the Gameboy games. We never used the energy cards.

Sounds like our battles. I hated energy cards, and just thought it was a waste when I got them in booster packs! They were hardly used

C

Cardkeeper

Quite frankly, as nerdy as it is, I buy new stuff to this day and play the game competitvely. I've won a few City Championships and nearly a State Championship. I probably have a few thousand dollars worth of cards. I would have gone to Nationals, but I dislike the format too much atm to spend that much travel expense.

Quite frankly, as nerdy as it is, I buy new stuff to this day and play the game competitvely. I've won a few City Championships and nearly a State Championship. I probably have a few thousand dollars worth of cards. I would have gone to Nationals, but I dislike the format too much atm to spend that much travel expense.
That's actually pretty cool. Are the original cards from like 1998 still allowed in these tournaments?

C

Cardkeeper

Yes and No, but pretty much no. There's 3 Types of Tournaments; Modified (99% of Tournaments including Nationals and Worlds), Limited and Unlimited. Modified is most common with only a certain block of sets being allowed for use, usually it's the most recent 4-10 sets. For example, right kow only cards from the set HeartGold SoulSilver (the set released in early 2010 to co-release with the HGSS games) and onward are allowed. Then in limited, usually for prereleases are when only 1 set is allowed to be used. These tourneys are great for beginners and usually are not nearly as serious. And finally, Unlimited, where ANY card released EVER can be used. Unfortunately there are no Officially sponsored unlimited tourneys by Nintendo and/or Pokemon, so you have to rely on individual Tournament Organizers, so as a result, they are few and far between, get a handful of participants and usually don't do very well at ALL. Sigh, I'm fine with the 3 formats, but I wish Nintendo held official Unlimited tourneys like they do the first 2.

i used to trade my pkmn cards alot, but rarely did i have a battle!!
i play a pokemon battle by me and my opponent get 50 cards each, then we play the game like the card game war except when someone draws out a better card then u, the lower-numbered is put in the "Dead Deck" which means that card is gone from the game for good!!

I was really into Pokemon cards when I was young, back when they first came out. I remember standing in line for hours at a shop that sold them when the "Fossil" set first came out.

I had three original Charizard holo cards. One was First Edition, another was with no shadow, and the third with shadow. I sold the First Edition at a comic book/card shop for $75 store credit (Yes, I realize it sells for hundreds of dollars on ebay now >.<) . I still have the others in storage somewhere along with my other cards.

I always wanted to play in tournaments because I felt like I had an unbeatable deck, but I never got the chance.

prince rallis

I'm a huge metal fan.
i have over 400 pokemon but only few are black and white my best cards are probally tyranitar meganium and magmortar lv.x.i love card battles but if i play with my older bro.he always beats me with his stupid froslass and his stupid kecleon and if I play with triforces (zelda dungeon forum name) he always beats me with his stupid ninetails his stupid scramble energy and hi stupid raichu:mad: and if i play with my younger sister i always win and thats just no fun:S

My son has hundreds of them... like boxes full... we spoil him. I suppose that is what you get when you have a Nintendo fanboy for a father... I personally do not get into Pokemon.. but I like to buy him things he likes... So when ever we are out I usually let him get some while we are in the checkout.

Last birthday we bought him some and we also got him a bunch of Pokemon figures. To which he said "You guys sure do know what I like"
300050_218854334837875_100001399309631_620483_547124852_n.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom