• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Pokemon Button Holding Myth - Is It True?

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
If you would really like to know how things work...well...here you go.

Then, there are a whole bunch of sub-equations after that. However, while I don't hold down special buttons, I just tap A as fast as I can, hoping and praying that it the Pokemon stays in the Pokeball.

When I was in the hey-days of Yellow and Silver, I would rapidly tap A believing that it would actually work. Even though I'm well aware about this equation, I still do it even to this day. (Why won't the Legendary Birds in HG/SS stay in their Ultra Balls!?)

Vincent

Retired Super Mod and HK
I think this just about sums it up:

pokemonbiz.jpg

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
I've known about this myth long before I ever sarted playing pokémon. I began to do it, believing it to be true, and now I just do it for kicks - especially when I'm not having much luck in capturing the pokémon. :P
I would like to know how a paralysed Ho-Oh with 1 H.P. escapes an Ultra Ball though.... >_>

Jmonkey71

Master of Monkeys
I used to think that if you shouted "Gotcha" into the microphone on Diamond and Pearl it would increase your chances of catching it.

Link

Hero of the Lands
It's a myth. I've always known it, but I still press A when throwing a PokeBall anyways. I don't know why, to be honest. I guess I just like to.

arkvoodle

Diabolical
Sadly this turned out to be a myth, which was quite a shame. But like most other people in this thread, I have a habit of holding down certain buttons such as A or right on the D-Pad.

I also have this habit when I have been attacked by a Super Affective move, I hold down right on the D-Pad because when I was younger, I belived it stopped my health from rapidly decreasing.

hsb39

Why so logical?
I too have continued the habit, although all of my habits in Pokemon were made with me and my friend. One was simply looking away and turning off the sound, then looking back in a few seconds. My favourite was the critical hit chant that we had "Critical, Critical, Critical Hit!" (repeat until end of move).

Kybyrian

^ I had a sort of thing that I did similar to what you said about turning off the sound and looking away. Whenever I got the Gameboy Advance SP I would close it and turn off the sound because I was afraid that I wouldn't catch the Pokemon. I never did anything like that with the gameboy color or the like, though. Of course you can't close the gameboy color, but I still never turned down the sound and looked away. I suppose it is sort of similar to the button holding myth, though should be obvious it doesn't work.

C

Carben

A MYTH?! All I've been told is a lie then. But I do have to say I still do it to this very day! In fact yesterday I caught Lugia in a Pokeball! (Soul Silver)
So I would have to say that the A tapping process does have its moments!

hsb39

Why so logical?
A MYTH?! All I've been told is a lie then. But I do have to say I still do it to this very day! In fact yesterday I caught Lugia in a Pokeball! (Soul Silver)
So I would have to say that the A tapping process does have its moments!

I know heaps of people who had something similar with Palkia/Dialga with a Quick Ball (first turn of match), but that might have something to do with them having the same catch rate as Chatot...

Dark Princess

Weeaboo :D
I've done it for as long as I can remember. I don't remember why I started doing it, but I'd always do it on Blue version. I've kept doing it, too. Throughout Kanto, onto Johto. Hoenn. I've done it differently in Sinnoh, though. I'd tap the middle of the pokeball on the touchscreen as fast as I can. It seems to do the same as tapping A as fast as I can. I don't care if it's a myth. I'm still gonna continue to do it. :P

ケンジ

僕は準備完了しています!
Paranaque City, Metro Manila, Philippines
Yeah... I heard about this, And i don't believe this. Though that's what i said when I first heard of it. Then my friend showed me and badabing, HIT! And ever Since then I've been doing this to every game. :P

Though today i no longer believe it, I still to it to calm my nerves and tell the pokemon to GET IN THE BALL!!!!

Juxtor

aka. musician_4_life
Hmm I'm not sure if it is true.....
I know of many people who strongly stand behind that theory.

At times when the battle is extremely close, i might press as a form of stress release but i don't expect anything to be happening...

Brandikins

Airbending Slice!
Just like what Kybyrian said. Pokemon have catch rates, and you weaken it, use different kinds of balls, etc. to capture it. It is 100% random, but I've still been doing the button thing since I got my Red version when I was six.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom