• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Pokemon Black and White

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
I was just over at 1up.com and saw that with new Pokemon games (a new generation of Pokemon) Black and White have been announced.
Pokemon Black..jpg
Pokemon White..jpg

Looks amazing, but every time they add new Pokemon I find it keeps getting harder to keep up with the series, still though this might be an all new take on the Pokemon adventure and for that reason alone I'm really excited. I think they have also announced two of the new Pokemons (Japanese) names.

The graphics might get upgraded instead of the same ds graphics Pokemon has been using. Imagine if Pokemon Black and White are being developed for the DS3! That would be a stroke of genius for Nintendo, there are so many possibilities... what do you guys think the new game will be like??

Last edited:

jbkarate9

KAME HAME HA!!!!
Wait does this mean the game will be in Black and White? And If they make it so we have to buy a new DS to get the pokemon game I guess I wont be playing it. I cant afford to buy a new system everytime a game comes out!

ケンジ

僕は準備完了しています!
Paranaque City, Metro Manila, Philippines
Finally someone other than me posted this. :P

Yeah it is amazing that the 5th gen is coming out. But i want to see what are the new things in the game. I want better graphics and better pokemon battles. And i can't wait to see the new pokemon for this game! it will be awesome. and knowing ZD, the players here will surely get rilled up again when This game has revealed it's colors.

Brandikins

Airbending Slice!
I personally think that there will be a lot of people who will get offended by the names. They go from normal primary colors, to metallic colors, then gems, then more gems, and now Black and White for versions names. I swore that Heart Gold will be my last since I spent $40 on it. It is just too much.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
So they finally released the version names. Cool. I quite like that, Pokemon Black and Pokemon White. It just sounds so epic. And I too think that it may very well be developed for the 3DS. Just imagine how it'd be. Actual Pokemon cries possibly instead of those little electric squeaks and hopefully other innovations.

jbkarate9

KAME HAME HA!!!!
Ya I think they may get offended by the names also. This will probally be my last if I need to buy a new system to play it. Im sure people will start saying they the game names are "racist". It wont affect Nintendo that much I dont think.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Ya I think they may get offended by the names also. This will probally be my last if I need to buy a new system to play it. Im sure people will start saying they the game names are "racist". It wont affect Nintendo that much I dont think.

I really hope people don't think Game Freak will be racist. Ever since the days of the original GameBoy games, the color names of the versions were based on that of the game's respective mascot. It was yellow because Pikachu was the mascot. It was silver because it's mascot was Lugia. It was sapphire because it's mascot was Kyogre. The reason their going to be "Pokemon Black and White" is probably because the mascots are goinng to be a dark type and some kind of light type or something like that. Game Freak isn't trying to be racist, I can guaruntee that.

jbkarate9

KAME HAME HA!!!!
I really hope people don't think Game Freak will be racist. Ever since the days of the original GameBoy games, the color names of the versions were based on that of the game's respective mascot. It was yellow because Pikachu was the mascot. It was silver because it's mascot was Lugia. It was sapphire because it's mascot was Kyogre. The reason their going to be "Pokemon Black and White" is probably because the mascots are goinng to be a dark type and some kind of light type or something like that. Game Freak isn't trying to be racist, I can guaruntee that.
I know they are not trying to be racist but I know people will go and say it is racist because of the "Black and White" thing. Because when poeple buy the games they are usually compettive so this will be "Black vs. White" for this game. Like in my family I buy one game and my older bro buys the other one and my younger bro gets whatever one my older bro does. And we get compettitive like "Black vs. White" Like "Oh pokemon Black version is so much better then white version!" and stuff like that. That is why im saying people will find it racist.

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
People didn't get upset about dark types and light types, so I'm willing to bet that no one will be greatly offended by the two new titles. Pokemon cries are something that doesn't really bother me either. as long as they keep using them, I kind of enjoy those weird noises my gameboy makes lol what I'm really interested in is the fact that we will be getting a lot of new stuff to play with this time, a new character/characters? new starter pokemon, new legendary pokemon, a new team rocket? the list goes on... a new pokedex!!! can't wait for that... and what about those radio stations? do they still do that? I'm not sure. could someone tell me if they still do the radio channels like in gold and silver?

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
In Pokemon Black, will we get to play the role of Team Rocket members?

Years and years ago (about a decade ago, actually), I was into Pokemon and into the anime aspect, I loved Team Rocket. I was a part of a big message board, the Team Rocket Headquarters. One of the rumors from those many years ago was "Pokemon Black! You get to play Team Rocket!" -- I've been seriously dreaming of such a game ever since (even after Pokemon lost my major interest). Tell me, is this a Team Rocket game ("good guys" White, "bad guys" Black?) or is this "Pikablu" all over again?

Also... Black and White... if it's about "Black and White Morality," it may not be a problem. However, I know, myself, I am very careful about that. Just yesterday, I was editing chapters of a novel-project I've been writing and I had the characters in a dialogue about morality, regarding "you're more 'white' than most people" --- I realized the potential of how that looked and changed it to "you are more 'light' than most" because "light" doesn't have the same racial connations that "white" unfortunately does. I wound up changing the symbolism from "black and white" to "dark and light" just for that reason.

arkvoodle

Diabolical
Hooray! I'm glad someone made this topic.

For one (as stated in previous posts) I find it highly unlikely that anyone would get offended by the titles of these games. "White and Black" are just names there's no racial thing in there. And if people are offended(or not) Nintendo may even change to "Light and Shadow". Which in my opinion, sounds better.

We already know of two of the Pokemon that are going to feature in this game Zoaroak(sp?) and it's pre-evolved form, but I can't wait to see the others!

One thing i'm worried about though is the mere amount of Pokemon there are now. When this game is released, the total will climb over 500, making it extremely difficult to "Catch 'em all" or even see most of the Pokemon.

Another worry of mine is that First, Second and even Third generation Pokemon will be completely overshadowed by these new Generation 4 and 5 Pokemon.
Only a week ago, a friend of mine asked his younger brother did he know what a Bulbasaur was. His brother has been playing Pokemon for over a year, he is a huge nut and knows the game inside out. But sadly, the only Pokemon he knew of were the ones From Generation 4. He didn't know that there were any games before Diamond/Pearl/Platinum. He had quite a shock when he even heard of some of the original Pokemon.

Despite these worries, i'm sure I will enjoy the game alot when it is finally released and I am already heavily anticipating further news of it.

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
Only a week ago, a friend of mine asked his younger brother did he know what a Bulbasaur was. His brother has been playing Pokemon for over a year, he is a huge nut and knows the game inside out. But sadly, the only Pokemon he knew of were the ones From Generation 4. He didn't know that there were any games before Diamond/Pearl/Platinum. He had quite a shock when he even heard of some of the original Pokemon.
I experienced this once. I came across someone who honestly had no idea who Mewtwo was. I was horrified! D:

Well, this is great news. Perhaps it's the way black and white are sometimes percieved as colours, but the names make me think of the originals. All I know is that I'm looking forward to seeing more stuff about this game! Now, I just have to hope that the game works on my Lite, or else I won't be getting it. :(

Austin

Austin
Ignoring the names these games have, but the fact its coming out so soon!! Are they going to release catching pokemon every year now? What happen having a few years between the games, letting people trade and wifi events to get more pokemon/stuff! There were several years between Leaf Green and Pearl/Diamond! The graphics were great improvement, and everything else. I was somewhat annoyed when Platinum came out pretty close after Pearl/Diamond but in the end I still got it because I'm a super geek. Then HG/SS came out only a year after Platinum. That annoyed me but HG/SS brought new stuff to the table, plus it was located in Johto. Everyone my age remembers original Silver/Gold and loved those old games, so we were excited to revisit johto!

But now they're releasing a new game already! Why!? Obviously game graphics and game play won't be much of a change because there isn't enough time to do new sprites and code a new game engine!? It seems like they're starting to care less about quality of a game and more about making money! There literally isn't enough time between HG/SS and B/W to really make huge improvements. I'm sort of mad and I'm a big pokemon fan! It took me like 4-5 hours to trade from P/D/Plat to my SS.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I'm honestly not surprised they reused the game engine from HG/SS for a new game. I mean, think about it... they used a very similar engine to original Pokemon for Gold and Silver. Then they released Ruby/Sapphire, and soon after a remake of original Pokemon with the Ruby/Sapphire engine. Now they've released Heart Gold/Soul Silver with a new engine, but until now there was no new game using that engine.

Basically, the pattern that's emerged is that they use each Pokemon engine at least twice. Once for a new game, once for a remake.

Not a big deal, though... Pokemon, at core, hasn't changed much since old days, and thus can only be refined so much.

I don't think we should have to change every instance of Black/White to something else in order to respect racial sensitivity. It makes absolutely no sense, because "White" people are actually closer to being peach or beige, while "Black" people are actually brown. It's ridiculous!

Also, it's very likely that black and white are merely used as names for colors because they're running out of ideas, rather than having any significance. Especially since the game was made by Japanese people, who are neither.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom