• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Pokemon AR Hacking - Legit or Not?

AR Hacking - Legit or Not?

• Yes, it's fine as so long as you don't make a Pokemon with stats that it can't normally get.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, it's not fine under any circumstances.

• I have no strong feelings either way.

• It's only fine for things like getting extra TMs or other items.

• What's an Action Replay?

• Total voters

Kazumi

chagy
I'm curious about how people feel about using the Action Replay to hack, or "cheat" in Pokemon games. I'm picking one up on Monday for the purpose of using it to create my Competitive Battling team, because I'm far to lazy to train them the old fashioned way. And I know that people don't want Pokemon obtained illegally using an AR, but what if you were to use something like Pokesav to create a perfectly legit say, Mew with all of the stats and IDs and everything how they should be? Is it legal then?

Personally I say yes. As long as you don't tell the other person. What do you think?

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
The very definition of legitimate is: in accordance with established rules, principles, or standards. The "rules, principles, and standards" of obtaining pokemon is to capture wild ones in-game, receive them from events, or trade for other legit ones. Creating your own pokemon yourself via cheat devices is by definition illegitimate because it goes against the established rules of the game.

Now that the nitpicky stuff is out of the way, I personally see no problem with using a cheat device to do things that could otherwise be done in a legitimate manner. In other words, I think it's okay if you want to use it to max out a pokemon's EVs because that can be done without cheats. I don't think it's okay for you to use it to create a pokemon or items from scratch, since that gives you an unfair advantage in competitive gaming. That's like going into a poker competition with a perfect hand up your sleeve; it not only breaks the rules of the game, but it's terrible sportsmanship.

Oh, and also, that "As long as you don't tell the other person" thing, don't you think that's just plain devious?

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
I don't really care what other people do, you can use AR all you want, if i had one I probably would too. But i don't so the topic is kind of moot for me, however AR can be cheap if you use cheats against a friend. Solo play is fine but say you were battling a friend, would you use an overpowered pokemon on your rival? oh you would? well even if you beat him you didn't really beat him (the AR did), see my point?

Nah, I wouldn't call it "legit" at all. Xinnamin gave a great definition up there, and I think it speaks the truth. It'll always be a "hacked" pokemon, regardless of what you do with it. I've used an AR myself just so that I could just HAVE a Celebi and Mew. Would I ever actually battle someone else with them, or trade them to some one else? Of course not. The only reason I used it in the first place was just for the sake of seeing how those pokemon did in-game.
I think items are a different story though. I've hacked a few,but mainly because it was too much hassle to obtain them from migrating, or it was just too improbable a chance of getting one that I didn't want to put in the effort.

I don't really care, but I'd be really upset if I went against a guy who just hacked his entire team to perfection, even if all the stats and moves are "legal". It really establishes how desperate and lazy your opponent is.

I really don't think there's a point to action replays. I mean, you might as well buy the game for an extra 20 bucks, turn it on, watch the end credits, and weep as you stare at the screen that declares you banned from WiFi. (My memry is a big fuzzy, but I do remember that if you used pokemon that had AR codes in them, you'd be banned from using the WiFi service)

I really don't think there's any good reason for using them anyway. I remember back when I was an AR-addict, I'd always play PBR with them and win because I had a Lv 100 Mewtwo with crazy stats and 'Me First'. Now when I look back, I feel like all those battles had absolutely no point to them.

Brandikins

Airbending Slice!
For the most part I just use AR to save me a lot of time (Rare Candies to save me time, all TMs for good moves, etc.) I have gotten some Pokemon like Celebi from mine, but my Mew and Manaphy are legit though. I used my AR to make a good team full of normal, but nature and EV trained Pokemon. After I find one with a good nature and EV train it, I use Rare Candies just to get it to Lv.100. I've never used AR to cheat in the Battle Frontier or in battles with friends though.

Kazumi

chagy
I really don't think there's a point to action replays. I mean, you might as well buy the game for an extra 20 bucks, turn it on, watch the end credits, and weep as you stare at the screen that declares you banned from WiFi. (My memry is a big fuzzy, but I do remember that if you used pokemon that had AR codes in them, you'd be banned from using the WiFi service)

I really don't think there's any good reason for using them anyway. I remember back when I was an AR-addict, I'd always play PBR with them and win because I had a Lv 100 Mewtwo with crazy stats and 'Me First'. Now when I look back, I feel like all those battles had absolutely no point to them.

Actually, you can not get banned from Wi-Fi ever. There are hack protectors on the GTS, but they are very weak and you can get by them easily. Especially if the Pokemon you made is legit. There is no way to trace if a Pokemon was made or hacked using AR Codes except if it's stats exceed it's maximum possible and if it has moves that it can't normally learn.

Now what I would do with an AR is just to save time and get the right Natures and EV train my Pokemon. I would never create a Pokemon with insane impossible stats and then just kill everyone with it. That's just mean.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
It's a bit of a cheat, but I'm willing to say it's legit.

For one thing, I don't see why you should have to train them all up again if you lose your saved game somehow. It just saves time.

I think it's okay to use the device in battles with other people who use it, and/or know that you're using it.

I personally don't use them, though, because I don't play competitively, and the single-player game is easy enough that I don't need it.

Twili Kid

Many pointless questions
Using a AR is not legit to train a pokemon. I think its ok to get 100 master balls or all the TMs but when you skip training the pokemon and using whatever then I don't like it. I get furious at my friends who do it!

Its all about the training obtaining and becoming part of the phenomenom. Be a Pokemaster Icon. (I hope people will get the song lyrics.)

Pokemasters don't use Action Replays!!!!

Austin

Austin
Most people I know who use AR is to do events they can't normally do. It was fairly popular with the GBA games because many people I knew didn't live near any stores that did pokemon events and they didn't think it was right. They're arguments were sort of true back for the GBA, but not so much now, or at least in my opinion.

With the release of Pokemon DS and Revolution, with online battling/training, hacked pokemon are becoming too common. Especially shiny pokemon. Shiny pokemon use to be rare and valuable, now they're just as common as regular pokemon. If there exists an Pokemon economics, hacked pokemon is killing it.

I don't like the idea of hacked pokemon because it kills the fun. I don't know about you guys, but I like researching EV points and using software I wrote to keep track of them. Pokemon breading has become sort of a new hobby and I enjoy it. Hacking Pokemon just kills the fun about it. Whats so fun battling a low-catch-rate pokemon with a master ball? You kill the anxiety feeling when the pokeball tilts left and right. I personally love that feeling, especially when it has been a long and gruesome battle.

Viewing AR ans a Computer Scientist is interesting! AR is pretty much hacks the memory of a device. Recently studying Computer Organization & Architecture, I've been reading the Architecture documents of video game console. Especially the hand held since they use some form of an ARM Architecture. I can't go into that because that is too geeky and would bore you all, lol.

TriforceHunter

Forever I am Abandoned
In my opinio, Hell NO, if you're a real gamer you don't use any sort of cheat or cheating device(AR, Game Genie, GameShark) the question is, Why would you? That kills the whole purpose of the game, and like I've said before you aren't a true gamer if you use it, true gamers are willing to go through hell in order to beat and/or get everything that there is to get. I cheat in games like GTA, yeah, but whenver I cheat I don'te save, so cheating is okay as long as you're using it to have fun and not to playtrough the game or unlock secrets, also hacks and emulators grind my gears too, but thats a rant for another day.

Vincent

Retired Super Mod and HK
In no way is it legit, and I don't endorse it for trading, but it's alright if you're just using it for your own entertainment. Also, I think it's wrong to generate event Pokemon that haven't come out yet. Heck, it's wrong to generate any event Pokemon at all. That's just unfair. I used to love it back in the Red/Blue days, but I've since learned that is indeed very wrong, from a moral standpoint.

Mute

一員
Honestly, as long as you don't give the Pokemon more EVs than the max and keep it within a normal, legit-ly trained area, it should be alright. Also, keeping IVs from being maxed out would help, too. But regardless, people will probably complain or refuse to battle you if you've used an AR or Pokesav to train a Pokemon, even if it's not any different than a well trained one done the normal way. I, myself, don't mind this as long as no one's made an obviously uber Pokemon that's obviously hacked. Well, outside of joke battles.

However, like I said before, some people will complain or refuse to battle you regardless because they're hacked, regardless of if you kept it within the normal, legit limits. So that's something to keep in mind.

A

Agatha

Not okay. I'm not very competitive, but already I would never agree to play a game with someone who uses Action Replay or Gameshark on their game. I would lose all respect for them completely.

...And I'm not even a very competitive player. Think how players who make a major hobby out of it would feel. I guess it's kind of a major industry, but I think cheats were just originally developed for debugging purposes, or like, just to be an "easter egg" and stuff like that. But devices that "hack" the game to give you cheats that were never intended to be in the game, stuff like that... how can you have any fun doing that? Even with normal, conventional cheats, I always lose all of my interest in the game so quickly. This is why I am not into it, I guess.

Smitie

The Dutch Kusagari
I'm officially against cheating with AR/Gameshark or other stuff like that, but I can understand if people use it to get access to legendaries you have to obtain in those stupid events. Since the first generation games I always hated those events that would never come to the netherlands, but are nessecary to complete the pokedex 100%. With the online events it is much easier to access these special pokemon, but I still think Nintendo is a bit too fond of making legendary pokemon event-only (I'm not sure how many legendary pokemon are event-only now, but there are at least 5 or 6). Overall I'm not into online trades and battles, so I usually don't see annoying, hacked pokemon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom