• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Demo Released March 7th!

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
If you didn't get it already, the demo for the new Mystery Dungeon game was released yesterday! Like all demos, it's free! The best part? The saved data from the demo can be transferred to the full version upon purchase; however, this demo takes up about 1,500+ blocks on your SD card (it did for me, anyways). I won't release any spoilers, but it was a really unique experience.

So, will you try out the demo, or will you wait for the full version? If you managed to play it, who'd you choose as your starter Pokémon? What about your partner Pokémon? Any thoughts on the shift from 2D to 3D? Discuss!

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Spoil it, mate. I didn't know the game was 3D, but it might prove to be interesting. I am trying to play through the Castlevania Lords of Shadow demo, but once I'm done with that, I'll get PMD. I hope the demo is good enough for me to purchase the full game; I haven't been too interested in Pokemon as of late.

Downloading the demo right now; it's 1585 Blocks.

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I don't know if this is due to it being a demo, but, I really hate the selection of Pokémon available.

For player: Pikachu, Axew, Snivy, Tepig, Oshawott
Partner: IIRC every Pokemon available bar the one you picked

So...where the hell is Chikorita? I don't want any of these Gen 4 or Gen 5 Pokemon.

Just played it through...I have to say I hate the demo and the full game won't improve.

Pros:
- The game looks great. All of the colors and what not.

Cons:
- 3D models do not mesh with limited movement, grid-based games. I can forgive Fire Emblem because it transitions to 3D battles but still uses sprites (well, its portable titles from NDS and up do). But, the 3D models in PMDGTI just don't look right on this grid. Yeah, it's preserving the Mystery Dungeon gameplay, but it just don't look right.

- 3D animations don't convey nearly enough emotion as the sprites in previous games did. I don't know about y'all, but I just didn't get any emotional vibes - not even happiness - from these models, but in the sprite PMD games? All the emotion in the world and more, even at the beginning of the game.

- Game is terribly trivialized...where the HELL is the hunger meter? Looked at some Japanese vids and didn't see a hunger meter. >_>

- Limited Pokemon availability as I said. Unova Pokemon simply suck, there's nothing more to it. Give me my Gen II and Gen III pocket monsters. -.-

Last edited:

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
I don't know if this is due to it being a demo, but, I really hate the selection of Pokémon available.

For player: Pikachu, Axew, Snivy, Tepig, Oshawott
Partner: IIRC every Pokemon available bar the one you picked

So...where the hell is Chikorita? I don't want any of these Gen 4 or Gen 5 Pokemon.

Just played it through...I have to say I hate the demo and the full game won't improve.

Pros:
- The game looks great. All of the colors and what not.

Cons:
- 3D models do not mesh with limited movement, grid-based games. I can forgive Fire Emblem because it transitions to 3D battles but still uses sprites (well, its portable titles from NDS and up do). But, the 3D models in PMDGTI just don't look right on this grid. Yeah, it's preserving the Mystery Dungeon gameplay, but it just don't look right.

- 3D animations don't convey nearly enough emotion as the sprites in previous games did. I don't know about y'all, but I just didn't get any emotional vibes - not even happiness - from these models, but in the sprite PMD games? All the emotion in the world and more, even at the beginning of the game.

- Game is terribly trivialized...where the HELL is the hunger meter? Looked at some Japanese vids and didn't see a hunger meter. >_>

- Limited Pokemon availability as I said. Unova Pokemon simply suck, there's nothing more to it. Give me my Gen II and Gen III pocket monsters. -.-

I agree with you entirely on the Pokémon selection; it's God-awful. I'm not going to judge the game on an emotional standpoint just yet, considering all this is is a demo. I will say, however, that it didn't evoke many emotions out of me. 3D Models are okay in my opinion, but I could see their potential flaws. Oh yeah, I noticed the Hunger Meter as well. That lone meter added difficulty to the games and made it challenging. It's a little strange to not see it there. As far as limited Pokémon availability goes, I'm sure, just like every other Mystery Dungeon game thus far, there will be a point where recruiting Pokémon becomes an option. I'm almost fairly certain that this game will not be limited to Gen 5 Pokémon.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I'm almost fairly certain that this game will not be limited to Gen 5 Pokémon.

Oh, the game is limited in its entirety to the Gen V Pokémon; the initial selection is. There is only a handful of non-Unova PKMN available within the game, though, and THAT is what is disappointing me (although the primary disappointer is the lack of Chikorita-starter/partner).

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Oh, the game is limited in its entirety to the Gen V Pokémon; the initial selection is. There is only a handful of non-Unova PKMN available within the game, though, and THAT is what is disappointing me (although the primary disappointer is the lack of Chikorita-starter/partner).

Well the initial selection is limited to Gen V Pokémon with the exception of Pikachu. I suppose you're right on the basis of the game having only a handful of Non-Gen V Pokémon, of which is a major disappointment.

Ventus x Chikorita, I ship it.

Drahsid

~Deku Drahsid~ | The Hero
If you didn't get it already, the demo for the new Mystery Dungeon game was released yesterday! Like all demos, it's free! The best part? The saved data from the demo can be transferred to the full version upon purchase; however, this demo takes up about 1,500+ blocks on your SD card (it did for me, anyways). I won't release any spoilers, but it was a really unique experience.

So, will you try out the demo, or will you wait for the full version? If you managed to play it, who'd you choose as your starter Pokémon? What about your partner Pokémon? Any thoughts on the shift from 2D to 3D? Discuss!

I enjoyed the demo, it ended with suspence, although some things were disapointing:
  • No Quiz, it just lets you choose.
  • Only univa pokémon, I WANT MY CHARMANDER, NOW! (That really disappointed me.)
  • No hunger meter, this took away required skill.
  • Lack of animations; it sort-of repeats the same animations, like your partner running in circles, and gurrder completely, sort-of like banjo talking in banjo-tooie.
  • Confusing layouts, some places look like paths but are not.
  • Gliches, While playing I found 2 gliches:
    - I could talk to the edge of a cliff

- I seen an impervious bravairy that was gaurding the stair-case, why was he even in the demo???

Other than that, it's fun, I can't wait for the full version, hopefully with more pokemon- ?

Oh- and the 3D on the title is amazing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom