• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Pokémon Gen VII - Discussion & Speculation Thread

Fig

The Altruist
With the global release of Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire, fans young and old and fans who once left the series have come together to experience the Hoenn region under the XY engine. The sales of ORAS were tremendous and managed to be on par with XY's first week sales. The developers from GameFreak have stated that they want to surprise their fans whenever a new game is announced. This is true for the versions of Black 2, White 2, X & Y, and ORAS. Of course the development team has something up their sleeves for the next Pokémon game and while I know it may be just a bit early to believe it will occur, I would like to talk about the next biggest thing that will occur in Pokémon: Gen VII.

With each new generation of Pokémon, there are pro and cons that always occur. The pros are usually related to something that drastically affected the Pokémon franchise whether on an aesthetic or mechanic concept and of course, a new batch of unique Pokémon. A major con however, is that more and more people leave the Pokémon scene and this is true as it is reflected on each generation with Red and Blue selling over 35 million units while XY has sold over 12 million. Granted XY have only been out for a year so it isn't a full comparison but the numbers don't lie.

I personally believe Gen VII will be pushed to its limits to try and redeem its fans. Again, it's too early to call that Gen VII will happen by next year however I want to hear your thoughts on what you expect out of Gen VII or what do you wish for the next gen to offer.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Would love to see Diamond Pearl and Platinum remade with Mega Evolutions to be honest. Ahhh a mega Dusknoir would be epic.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I'm not too sure what we can speculate about Gen VII at this point to be completely honest. I think we can safely say, though, that the core mechanics of the games will not be changing, and the new 3D presentation is a mainstay, at least for now. Obviously we'll be getting a number of new Pokemon to add to our already large list, as well as new moves, abilities, etc. Also, a new region to explore. These happen in every new generation.

With what each generation has added to the series, I think we are safe in believing Gen VII will be no different. Unfortunately, at this time, I find it difficult to speculate what changes might occur.

I must say that I agree with Shironagi though. The Gen III remakes are awesome, I would just love to see the world of Sinnoh presented in 3D, and seeing more Gen IV Pokemon mega evolve would be great.

Stitch

AKA Patrick
I'm hoping there's more of an embrace of the rpg side of things and a more expansive world. A difficulty option would be cool, too. I also want to see a better way of leveling up pokemon other than grinding.

Pen

The game is on!
I'm hoping there's more of an embrace of the rpg side of things and a more expansive world. A difficulty option would be cool, too. I also want to see a better way of leveling up pokemon other than grinding.

I totally agree! A larger world to explore would be tremendous! However, regarding your leveling up concern, I thought the new Exp. Share that was introduced in generation VI greatly solved the previous level grinding problem.

Stitch

AKA Patrick
However, regarding your leveling up concern, I thought the new Exp. Share that was introduced in generation VI greatly solved the previous level grinding problem.

Not if you are trying to level up a single pokemon, still takes the same amount of time to grind. If you could find higher level pokemon to fight to gain experience from it would help tremendously, but the levels of pokemon that you can fight for experience cap off around the 70's and 80's and those usually aren't reliable to find.

ThePurpleKnight

ThePurpleKnightmare
Higher base hps for everybody.

Seriously pokemon has the lamest turn based RPG battling system ever, you get 4 moves, as opposed to final fantasy or some other turn based RPG where you get 20 + a basic attack.

you get enough hp to tank about 1 hit, as opposed to the 9999 max hp from most turn based RPG games.

I see most pokemon battles come down to the speed stat, both partys lay down their spikes, because such an overpowered move is allowed to exist, then they sweep, whoever has the fastest pokemon wins. GG

Improving the combat system is the most important thing, if it stays turn base then hp should be greatly increased, however I would just delete the speed stat, and then replace it with an unchangeable movement speed stat, then make pokemon a birds eye view not turn based battle. Like Mystery dungeon, with skill shots, and dodging.

I'm hoping for more room for exploration and a MUCH more expansive post-game than X and Y had. Seriously, there's only about five hours of content left after you beat X and Y and Kalos was rather small compared to some other regions. I feel the best way to to remedy this would be to bring back the "Explore an old region once you beat the game" gimmick from Gold and Silver. To me, that was easily the coolest part of gen 2. I'd settle for just one big region though.

Wilton

Hello world!
I'm hoping for more room for exploration and a MUCH more expansive post-game than X and Y had. Seriously, there's only about five hours of content left after you beat X and Y and Kalos was rather small compared to some other regions. I feel the best way to to remedy this would be to bring back the "Explore an old region once you beat the game" gimmick from Gold and Silver. To me, that was easily the coolest part of gen 2. I'd settle for just one big region though.

Yes, having a whole other region with eight more gyms to beat after the Pokémon League would be amazing to see again in another game! Something similar to it could easily be done as a DLC to X and Y for example.

Kybyrian

I don't even care about Generation VII. Can we get another console game in the vein of Colosseum please?

I'd like Generation 7 to be based in Oceania(AUS/NZ/Papua new guinea/Tasmania). (or just Australia and NZ)

I mean, come on we have great stuff here. like:
Bungle Bungles, Blue Mountains, Kakadu, Fraser Island, The Pinnacles, Uluru(red rock), Great Barrier Reef, Jewel cave, Wolfe Creek Crater, Horizontal Waterfalls, and many more. Great barrier reef would be perfect for pokemon like skrelp, barnicle, clamperl and almost any water type! seriously, check some of these out. there pretty awesome.

And also some great Animals for inspiration for pokemon designs:
Bilby, Dingo, Emu, Koala, Kangaroo, platypus, kookaburra, Rainbow Lorikeet, Quoll (Spotted Tailed), Thorny Devil, Tasmanian devil, Thylacine -Tasmanian Tiger(extinct), Cuscus and many more

Australia would be a great place for a region. :)

pkfroce

Skelepuns
Pokemon Chair and Pokemon Table Edition.

Like Stitch said, a difficulty option would be great. Pokemon games have always been too easy, imo. You level up your pokemon, choose the type advantage, and sweep. That's pretty much how it goes. There should be like a difficulty where all trainers have competitive teams. Or at least the Gym Leaders. Idk how they'd make that work though because the level difference is still a factor. If you grind enough, it'll be too easy. But yeah. Idk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom