• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Pokémon Damage Calculation

Celeboy

Collecting Dust
Hey guys! Celeboy here.
Have you ever wondered how much damage your maxed-out attack tyranitar is doing? Or do you want to see If your Blissy can withstand Lucario's Aura Sphere? Well, now you can find out! (Thanks to Serebii.net for the calculations btw)

This is the calculation for damage, it looks nasty, but is relativly simple:
Damage = ((((2 * Level / 5 + 2) * AttackStat * AttackPower / DefenseStat) / 50) + 2) * STAB * Weakness/Resistance * RandomNumber / 100
You may be confused and bewildered, but let's now put in a few values...

Damage is the output of this formula. Level is the current level of the ATTACKING POKÉMON (don't mix up between the attacking and defending, or the answer will be wrong). AttackStat is the attacking pokémon's Attack/Special Attack stat, depending on the move being used. DefenseStat is the defending pokémon's Defense/SpecialDefense stat, once again, depending on the move. AttackPower is the power of the move being used. STAB is the same type attack bonus. If the move being used is the same type as the attacking pokémon, you put 1.5 in the variable. Otherwise it is 1. Weakness/Resistance depends on if your move was super-effective or not. This number could be 0.25(e.g. if the Poké is Fighting and Steel, bug is weak to both, only doing one quarter of the damage), 0.5 (half the damage, aka not very effective), 1 (normal), 2 (super effective), or 4 ("ultra" effective, this is when both the pokémon's types are weak to the attacking move e.g. Ground and Fire are both weak to water, therfore 4x the damage). RandomNumber is simply a Random Number between 85 and 100.

Let's do the blissey example. For this, both Blissey and Lucario are going to be level 100, just for simplicity. (key: *=multiply, /=divide, +=add)
Now, this lucario will have max attack and the blissey will have max Sp. Def, both with a benificial nature, and the random number will be 100.

Damage = ((((2 * 100 / 5 + 2) * 361 * 90 / 405) / 50) + 2) * 1.5 * 2 * 100 / 100
Damage = ((((42) * 361 * 90 / 405) / 50) + 2) * 1.5 * 2 * 100 / 100
Damage = (((3369.3) / 50) + 2) * 1.5 * 2 * 100 / 100
Damage = 208.16
Damage = ~208

Even the weakest Blissey would be able to survive that blow, so it's pretty safe, but what if that Lucario had used calm mind a couple of times and got it's Sp. Attk to rise by 2 levels? Well, you just need to multiply the Attack stat value by a certain number, depending on how much the stat has risen:

-6 levels: 0.25
-5 levels: 0.29
-4 levels: 0.33
-3 levels: 0.40
-2 levels: 0.50
-1 level: 0.66
1 level: 1.50
2 levels: 2.00
3 levels: 2.50
4 levels: 3.00
5 levels: 3.50
6 levels: 4.00

Let's say that Lucario's Sp. Attk has risen by 6 levels (OMG D:) the only thing you need to change is the attack stat to (361 * 4). Put them in brackets so it works out, but tha answer should be something like this:
Damage = ((((2*100/5+2)*(361*4)*90/405)/50)+2)*1.5*2*100/100
Damage = 814.64
Damage = ~815

Owch, that's gonna OHKO even the most hardy of Blissey so if you go against a super-powered Lucario and have a Blissey, don't send it out.

Thanks for reading this, and credit goes to Serebii for the formula.

Ice Sage

these are words
Damage Calculation

Hello there people, I've decided to bring here a little thread about damage calculation. For I thought that it should be shown here. Now if you don't know what I'm talking about, the attacks in pokemon go through a math equation and has some random factor to calculate the damage. Now, I did not make this guide, nor do I lay any claims to it. The only part I copied right out would be the equations. It was created by serebii.net where you can find their page about it here. All I did was attempt to simplify it.

First off, some definitions.
STAB: A multliplier by 1.5 that happens when a pokemon uses a move with the same type of it.
Weakness/Resistant: When a pokemon's type is weak or resiliant to a move's type. Super Effective=*2 Normal=*1 Not Very Effective=*0.5
Attack/SP Attack: The power of a pokemon. The attack stat is used when a physical move is used against the opposing pokemon's defense. The SP attack stat is used when a special move is used against the opposing pokemon's SP defense.
Defense/SP Defense: The resistance to the physical attack or special attack. (see above)
Attack Power: The power of an attack. When you highlight an attack of your pokemon it is seen in the power tab.
Level: The number next to your pokemon's name in battle. :P
Random Number: A random number between 85 and 100.

Now that we know all this let's have the equation.

Damage = ((((2 * Level / 5 + 2) * AttackStat * AttackPower / DefenseStat) / 50) + 2) * STAB * Weakness/Resistance * RandomNumber / 100

Yes I know it's complicated but that's how it is. Now the last thing you may be wondering is what about things that raise and lower you attack and defense? When that happens they are either raised or lowered by one level of percentage as seen on this chart.

-6 levels: 25%
-5 levels: 29%
-4 levels: 33%
-3 levels: 40%
-2 levels: 50%
-1 level: 66%
0 levels: 100%
1 level: 150%
2 levels: 200%
3 levels: 250%
4 levels: 300%
5 levels: 350%
6 levels: 400%

Well, I think that's it. There are many more equations to determine the many things in the world of pokemon. Again I say, the equations and information were from serebii.net. I claim no rights to them. If you have any questions I shall try to answer them.

Oh.:sweat: Sorry. I figured a post like this would be under the other section...

Last edited:

Kybyrian

Some quick references for some of you wall players out there. Let's say you were training up your nice little Blissey, so you max out your HP. Now... Blissey has an extremely large HP stat, but an exceptionally low Def stat. We can fix that with some EV investment. Let's just say you were investing 252 EVs into both HP and Def with a Bold Nature (+Def -Atk). You'll see why this is important, even though Blissey's defense stat is still low.

Let's say we have a Jolly Lucario with a physical moveset. Let's also say he has 252 EVs invested into attack, which makes his attack stat 319, then add on the standard Lucario's Life Orb. Blissey has a 130 Defense stat and 714 HP. Lucario uses Close Combat (extremely powerful fighting move) and it does only 350 to 411 damage to Blissey, thanks to our investment in Defense.

You can apply similar situations to your other Pokemon. If you're running a baton pass team, consider passing defense boosts on to your Pokemon. Then calculate the damage that would be done with some of the more major weaknesses of your Pokemon. Chances are, after your defense is boosted a whole 2 stages, those attacks are going to do little to nothing to put your Pokemon in danger, meaning you don't even need to invest in that stat. In other words, if you baton passed an acid armor to your Blissey and invested at least some Def EVs (since doubling a low defense doesn't do much), you have a very powerful Blissey on your hands. Just make sure you don't give your opponent the opening to set up a sweeper on you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom