• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Poem Contest #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
Hey, ZDers. Welcome, welcome all to the poem contest #1.

This one is special in a way: It's the 1st ever poem competition under my guidance. Let us see how it goes. As you can see by the title of the thread, this is not WC#4, it’s the first poem competition, which indeed is different than your normal story contest. SC#4 will come after this one.

Anniewho, before I get way ahead of myself, congrats to Naruko for winning the previous contest. ^^ And also a big :yes: to all the other writers who tried out. We received only three votes, but at least we picked a winner.

Let us move on then, to the actual Poem Competition. But before I proceed to tell you what you’ll be basing your poem on, here is the Archangel’s Hall of Fame.

Archangel's Hall of Fame

BookTrophy.gif

Story Contest #1 Winner: FireVsIce
Story Contest #2 Winner: Mamono101
Story Contest #3 Winner: Naruko
Poem Contest #1 Winner: ??​

And the current PP standings. *Power Point Standings* I dunno if I discussed how we’d get these points, but I decided that it’s 1 for submitting a story/poem for the contest, 1 for voting, and 3 for winning a contest. I will think hard on how I will put these points to use, for now we just keep amassing them. I will also hear opinions/ideas from you regarding these points, so you can pm if you have something in mind.

Enyhoo...

PP Standings

1. Naruko 3 Points
2. Archangel 2 Points
2. Mamono101 2 Points
3. Maikeru 1 Point

Finally, here we are. Oh yes, I have a little surprise for you. It won’t be one poem, but two, that you will be writing.

Your rules and guidelines, then...

1. Write a Poem that most likely would be dedicated to someone special, could be a bf/gf, a friend, a pet, etc. The other poem is a freebie, meaning you can just about base your poem on anything you want, just stick to the ZD rules and you will be fine.

2. 200 characters is the word limit for this one, but if you feel you must go over that at least by 50 or so words, then go ahead. Poems over 350 words will not be considered for competition. *Your poem does not have to be 200 words long, it can be anything shorter than that, just make sure it’s at least more than 30 words. :)*

3. Contest starts today and ends Wednesday 6th of August 2014. Anything submitted after midnight of the due date will not be eligible for participation. So avoid a setback and submit in time. No exceptions.

4. PM me and only me your entries. I will take care of setting everything up for voting. Don't post the story/poems here either, or elsewhere. If you post it, you will be disqualified.

5. Remember to stick to ZD/DGN's main forum rules when you write your stories/poems.

Good luck, and have fun writing your poems. If you have any questions, you can ask here or pm/vm me and I will clear up any doubts.

By the way, yes, you gotta make your sign up official either here or send me a pm so I can know of your participation. ~Archangel

And please, will a mod sticky this if possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
In.

Been waiting for this one since you mentioned it. *squeals with excitement*

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
i have not wrote a poem in ages o_O

So you will be trying out for this one? I hope you do. :)

Good to have you onboard, Mamono101. You've supported the WC for a while, for that I thank you kindly. :nod:

Also, thanks for entering the contest and sticking the thread, A Link In Time. :yes:

Mido

Version 1
Hmm....I think I'll give it the ol' college try, as they say! I've spent way too much time sitting out of the Writing section of the forums! :lol: Sign me up, if I may roll on in!

hahaha I might! I'm about to start a new job I need to see how much time i will have. =p

So you will be trying out for this one? I hope you do. :)

Good to have you onboard, Mamono101. You've supported the WC for a while, for that I thank you kindly. :nod:

Also, thanks for entering the contest and sticking the thread, A Link In Time. :yes:

Fig

The Altruist
Sure I'll give this a try. It's been a while since I wrote something creative but I'm sure I can come up with something. That said I do have some thoughts on the OP as to me, at least, seem a bit...off. Hopefully you will see this as constructive criticism and nothing else as I have no intentions to deal harm to others.

Hey, ZDers. Welcome, welcome all to the poem contest #1.

This one is special in a way: It's the 1st ever poem competition under my guidance. Let us see how it goes. As you can see by the title of the thread, this is not WC#4, it’s the first poem competition, which indeed is different than your normal story contest. SC#4 will come after this one.

Anniewho, before I get way ahead of myself, congrats to Naruko for winning the previous contest. ^^ And also a big :yes: to all the other writers who tried out. We received only three votes, but at least we picked a winner.

Let us move on then, to the actual Poem Competition. But before I proceed to tell you what you’ll be basing your poem on, here is the Archangel’s Hall of Fame.

Archangel's Hall of Fame

BookTrophy.gif

Story Contest #1 Winner: FireVsIce
Story Contest #2 Winner: Mamono101
Story Contest #3 Winner: Naruko
Poem Contest #1 Winner: ??​

For starters, there is the "Archangel's Hall of Fame". While you are no doubt the Competition Leader for Writing Competition for the forum community, all of these competitions belong to the community. I have yet to see a Competition Leader have their own "Hall of Fame" because in reality, all of this is for the community. By making a hall of fame perse, it makes it sound more personal and somewhat distorts the purpose for these competitions. Perhaps you can have a hall of fame on your personal blog or some sorts, but I believe it is better to make it sound more for the community. Another thing that is bothering me is the word choice, particularly the naming of the contest. While you are correct that this PC#1 and not SC#4, you also stated that it isn't WC#4? Whether it is a story, poem, essay, etc. they are all considered different genres of writing. What you mean to say is that while this specific competition isn't SC#1, this is PC#1 and since poetry is considered to be a form of writing this is also WC#4.

And the current PP standings. *Power Point Standings* I dunno if I discussed how we’d get these points, but I decided that it’s 1 for submitting a story/poem for the contest, 1 for voting, and 3 for winning a contest. I will think hard on how I will put these points to use, for now we just keep amassing them. I will also hear opinions/ideas from you regarding these points, so you can pm if you have something in mind.

Enyhoo...

PP Standings

1. Naruko 3 Points
2. Archangel 2 Points
2. Mamono101 2 Points
3. Maikeru 1 Point

While I may not understand the reasoning behind the addition of Power Points, I don't see the need for it. The Writing Competitions are separately their own tournaments so to speak. This kind of bracket makes sense such as the World Cup Tournament thread you made a while ago or the Pokemon tournaments. I just don't see the point of having a scoreboard just because for the sake of it. It's not like a person is going to get an award for "Best Writer" under the Writing Competition, that's left up to the GKAs. I personally believe that the community hall of fame should be good enough if you want to keep track of who won which contest.

Finally, here we are. Oh yes, I have a little surprise for you. It won’t be one poem, but two, that you will be writing.

Your rules and guidelines, then...

1. Write a Poem that most likely would be dedicated to someone special, could be a bf/gf, a friend, a pet, etc. The other poem is a freebie, meaning you can just about base your poem on anything you want, just stick to the ZD rules and you will be fine.

2. 200 characters is the word limit for this one, but if you feel you must go over that at least by 50 or so words, then go ahead. Poems over 350 words will not be considered for competition. *Your poem does not have to be 200 words long, it can be anything shorter than that, just make sure it’s at least more than 30 words. :)*

3. Contest starts today and ends Wednesday 6th of August 2014. Anything submitted after midnight of the due date will not be eligible for participation. So avoid a setback and submit in time. No exceptions.

4. PM me and only me your entries. I will take care of setting everything up for voting. Don't post the story/poems here either, or elsewhere. If you post it, you will be disqualified.

5. Remember to stick to ZD/DGN's main forum rules when you write your stories/poems.

Good luck, and have fun writing your poems. If you have any questions, you can ask here or pm/vm me and I will clear up any doubts.

By the way, yes, you gotta make your sign up official either here or send me a pm so I can know of your participation. ~Archangel

And please, will a mod sticky this if possible.

Call this nickpicking, but this should help construct a better opening post. While most of this is constructed, it is very redundant to mention rule #5 and as it already mention to follow the rules of the forum in rule #1. There's no need to rewrite the same statement just a few sentences over as it could potentially confuse the reader or at least bring déjà vu. Also if you are going to sign your name in anything, it has to be at the very bottom of the opening to conclude one's thoughts. Another thing is emotes/emoticons. While there is nothing wrong with adding emotes/emoticons into the opening post, the thread looks more professional without the inclusion of these emotes/emoticons. Not to mention, it could bring a different meaning all in total. Minor details, but these should help out in constructing a better OP in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom