• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Playstation Network on PS3, PSP, and Vita (was) shutting down

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
Just realized there's no thread on this

Two add on stories to this:

Everything about this is bad, the timed fate of the PS4, Sony's sweeping their legacy games under the rug, thoughts?

Link&Midna

K-Dawg
If you downloaded the games you'll still have access to them. If you purchased the games you'll also still be able to redownload them. You just won't be able to buy any more games after the shut off deadline.
Oh okay, that's a relief. I got confused because of the subtext on the last article, I can't actually read the article myself because my school blocked it.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
Wait, wait- So you're telling me that my downloaded games are just gonna dissappear?!
when the CMOS battery dies on your PS3 (a watch battery basically) you can't play your download games b/c it needs to connect to PSN to verify the liscence, obviously w/ no PSN, no way to verify

PS4 is worse b/c that same problem prevents you from even using your discs

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
Glad I never actually "paid" for these games but its making PS Plus seem useless if they are going to one day be taken awake cuz of BS.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
It's a shame, really. Clearly Sony hasn't thought this through, given what will happen when it goes down. Digital games being unplayable because of something outside of the consumers' control is unacceptable.

Link&Midna

K-Dawg
when the CMOS battery dies on your PS3 (a watch battery basically) you can't play your download games b/c it needs to connect to PSN to verify the liscence, obviously w/ no PSN, no way to verify

PS4 is worse b/c that same problem prevents you from even using your discs
So once the battery dies I will lose all my downloaded games? That's a really cruddy move on Sony's part, and such a shame for everyone who still uses their systems... Might have to back up my Minecraft worlds on Switch or something, because there's some I really don't want to lose

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
So once the battery dies I will lose all my downloaded games? That's a really cruddy move on Sony's part, and such a shame for everyone who still uses their systems... Might have to back up my Minecraft worlds on Switch or something, because there's some I really don't want to lose
pretty much, gotta enjoy your digital games while they last

It sounds like a tragic and extreme manifestation of the mentality that no one truly owns the things they pay for anymore. We pay for permission to use them; we no longer own our own copies of the software. I hope they devise some sort of workaround so people aren't forced to part with their time spent in all these games, but I guess I wouldn't be surprised if they don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom