• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

PlayStation "Neo", Xbox "Scorpio", Nintendo NX: mid-generational leaps

It has a goodish amount of exclusives, and they are high quality. However, they are not unique. Almost everything that is on Wii U, there is a 3DS counterpart
Ah that's what you meant. I totally agree with this. A lot of same WiiU experiences are on the 3DS. Also as we both already know you can't rely in critic scores as they are not exactly objective reviews at times.
I would say the unique experiences we have gotten on the WiiU (not on the 3DS, PS, XB or remakes/reimagining of past games) are:
  • Super Mario Maker
  • Splatoon
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X (Very different to the first game)
  • Affordable Space Adventures
  • Star Fox Zero (because controls and because the rest of the game is not like SF64 a legit flaw of SFZ)
  • Captain Toad
  • Nes Remix 1/2
  • Wonderful 101

I would argue that's quite a lot. If you asked the same question of the PS4 and XB1 you'd be hard pressed to find this many totally unique experiences on their consoles also.
However I totally get that you are saying, why should someone buy a WiiU when you can get a lot of the same experiences on the 3DS? That's a legit valid issue that Nintendo needs to deal with on the NX.

Smash Bros Wii U-Smash Bros 3DS
This is the biggest mistake Nintendo has made. Their heaviest hitter could be played on the go. This took away so many sales from the Wii U it isn't even funny.
Agreed. The worst part of this is the WiiU version is objectively worse because the 3DS version was a thing. A lot of content was cut from the Brawl just to make both games play roughly the same on the 3DS and WiiU. But you need to remember that SSB4 was going to be 3DS only. Sakurai didn't want to make a WiiU version. The rest of Nintendo told Sakurai that this decision is insane and he aid alright and made the WiiU version alongside. It's the WiiU version here that is the after thought. The game was either both consoles or neither. As it was never ever going to be WiiU only.
WiiU only would have been so totally the best but Sakurai could not understand this.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I would argue that's quite a lot. If you asked the same question of the PS4 and XB1 you'd be hard pressed to find this many totally unique experiences on their consoles also.
In general, Playstation and Xbox fans don't put much stock in exclusives. Not nearly as much as Nintendo fans. Sony and Microsoft have largely given up trying having vast libraries of exclusive games. Nintendo is just much better at it. They instead focus on appealing to third parties. That does lead to the two consoles having a lot of games that Nintendo consoles never get. And these people typically can't afford a gaming PC so, so it's only on those consoles for those games. And typically, though this is not universal, anyone who would get two consoles would get a Nintendo console and either a Sony or Microsoft console, not both.

@Matt
Just remember we are talking about unique experiences, not console exclusives. Sure one game can be both at the same time, but note well the subtle differences there.

However, I do totally agree with what you've said.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
@Matt
Just remember we are talking about unique experiences, not console exclusives. Sure one game can be both at the same time, but note well the subtle differences there.

However, I do totally agree with what you've said.
It's still the same thing. Most Sony and Microsoft fans do not look for, crave, or want a unique experience. It just isn't a factor for them. Largely the vast majority just go by brand loyalty and nothing else. And for the few that don't operate that way, they tend to go by which one offers the best features. Features, not experience. It's a different concept.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
The announcement of the NX was to prevent a knee jerk reaction of investors to prove that Nintendo wasn't going mobile only. Which I can see very much.

While I agree with that, it was also a bad move for the Wii U. It announced its successor way too early and caused the public to lose faith/interest in the console as well as developers. For example, we know Retro talked about nothing being in the works for the Wii U (in terms of Metroid or any new game) because the NX was coming. That was still two and a half years away!!

In general, Playstation and Xbox fans don't put much stock in exclusives. Not nearly as much as Nintendo fans. Sony and Microsoft have largely given up trying having vast libraries of exclusive games. Nintendo is just much better at it. They instead focus on appealing to third parties. That does lead to the two consoles having a lot of games that Nintendo consoles never get. And these people typically can't afford a gaming PC so, so it's only on those consoles for those games. And typically, though this is not universal, anyone who would get two consoles would get a Nintendo console and either a Sony or Microsoft console, not both.

The thing is, that's now. That wasn't last gen. Last gen console exclusives did matter. Everyone was comparing genres. Sony has Killzone, Xbox has Halo. Sony has Gran Turismo, Xbox has Forza. Sony has Uncharted, Xbox has Gears of War. Etc..

I think because less exclusives have been made, less emphasis has been put on the exclusives, but don't get it twisted: if Sony's and MS's software divisions upped their game, exclusives would mean a lot.

I wouldn't really call them unique. I mean, you can control by tilting the GamePad, great. That's not unique, doesn't the PS4 controller have motion controls too? I think the draw is the exclusivity and quality of the game.

Yes, as a Nintendo fan, I love the exclusives. Nintendo games are the best games on the market. Splatoon, for all its lack of "headshot" and MLG Elite Pro-ness, is the best online experience I've ever had in a game. It's unique in the sense that it's exclusive. And sure, it would be a different game without the GP, but it could still be played on a traditional controller.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
While I agree with that, it was also a bad move for the Wii U. It announced its successor way too early and caused the public to lose faith/interest in the console as well as developers. For example, we know Retro talked about nothing being in the works for the Wii U (in terms of Metroid or any new game) because the NX was coming. That was still two and a half years away!!

The thing is, that's now. That wasn't last gen. Last gen console exclusives did matter. Everyone was comparing genres. Sony has Killzone, Xbox has Halo. Sony has Gran Turismo, Xbox has Forza. Sony has Uncharted, Xbox has Gears of War. Etc..

I think because less exclusives have been made, less emphasis has been put on the exclusives, but don't get it twisted: if Sony's and MS's software divisions upped their game, exclusives would mean a lot.

I wouldn't really call them unique. I mean, you can control by tilting the GamePad, great. That's not unique, doesn't the PS4 controller have motion controls too? I think the draw is the exclusivity and quality of the game.

Yes, as a Nintendo fan, I love the exclusives. Nintendo games are the best games on the market. Splatoon, for all its lack of "headshot" and MLG Elite Pro-ness, is the best online experience I've ever had in a game. It's unique in the sense that it's exclusive. And sure, it would be a different game without the GP, but it could still be played on a traditional controller.
That was 1 and a half year away. As it was E3 2015. Plus, Retro is working on something else, with no Metroid game in game in development. Of course it's going to be 2-4ish years down the line.

Of that time, we kind of already knew Wii U was out of the door. They did the same thing with the GC and the Wii.

The lack of games for Wii U, I feel is an entirely different problem than that of NX coming... I'm just glad that Nintendo learned from their mistake and are actually making, you know... Games to play for their console.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
That was 1 and a half year away. As it was E3 2015. Plus, Retro is working on something else, with no Metroid game in game in development. Of course it's going to be 2-4ish years down the line. Of that time, we kind of already knew Wii U was out of the door. They did the same thing with the GC and the Wii.

I don't recall the GCN being dropped as abruptly as the Wii was. And it was certainly not handled the way the Wii U is being handled.

The lack of games for Wii U, I feel is an entirely different problem than that of NX coming... I'm just glad that Nintendo learned from their mistake and are actually making, you know... Games to play for their console.

Don't be so sure. Of course, I can't "prove" this, since I'm not privy to any insider info, but I would bet you that there were games in progress for the Wii U that were moved over to the NX as soon as the NX was announced. In other words, as soon as developers and publishers were in the know about the NX, they moved projects over to the NX. Otherwise, we wouldn't be facing the worst gaming drought on a Nintendo console in history.

That and the fact Nintendo keeps claiming the NX isn't going to replace the Wii U (which everyone knows is PR nonsense) shows that they even know that knowledge of the NX is slowing down Wii U sales.

That and the fact Nintendo keeps claiming the NX isn't going to replace the Wii U (which everyone knows is PR nonsense) shows that they even know that knowledge of the NX is slowing down Wii U sales.
Nintendo said outright in their last quarterly conference call that the WiiU sales will stagnate now. They are hoping the 3DS, mobile and NX revenue will cover this.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Why? I don't understand. Why would you have a 1.5 and a Slim Shady version? I understand the 1.5 but why a Slim version ontop of that?
Perhaps the slim one will be the affordable Xbox One to tempt those dissuaded by the price to join this gen, and the other will be the pricey one for people who want to pay the money for the extra performance.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Why? I don't understand. Why would you have a 1.5 and a Slim Shady version? I understand the 1.5 but why a Slim version ontop of that?
Slim is to reduce tdp and power draw in general. 1.5 is to get 4k at decent frame rates

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Perhaps the slim one will be the affordable Xbox One to tempt those dissuaded by the price to join this gen, and the other will be the pricey one for people who want to pay the money for the extra performance.

With both the 360 and PS3 officially discontinued, it's only a matter of time before people join this generation, one way or another. As long as the 360 and PS3 kept getting support with new software, there was little incentive to join the current gen, but now, you'll have to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom