• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Planning For The Future

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I have nothing planned out, and it scares me. I get terrified when I think about the future. I think that I might be going nowhere in my life. I have tried to plan it out, but nothing is working out for me in my brain. It worries me so much.

I want to get married one day, but I can't even stand the thought of a divorce. She has to be the one, so I think it might be nearly impossible because of my paranoia. I'm even scared to get in a relationship. I also plan on going to college, but I don't even know what I want to do. That is all I have planned so far, if that even counts.

I am scared. I really am terrified. I fear that I will end up homeless and lonely. That's the only thing I can possibly see in my future. Other than that, it's just a black hole.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I want to get married one day, but I can't even stand the thought of a divorce. She has to be the one, so I think it might be nearly impossible because of my paranoia. I'm even scared to get in a relationship.
Listen. Marriage will come pretty far in your life. Get that stuff out of your head and focus on the more immediate things: school, a job (if applicable), driver's license, etc. Think about marriage when you're done with schooling. ^^

I fear that I will end up homeless and lonely
I share both of these fears. It's really just...wow. I've visited several homeless shelters and the people in it all look like me. I can see myself being lonely because no one likes what I am. And I can see myself homeless because I'm really indecisive at times, but also way too quick to action at others. Impulsive but also withdrawn.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Listen. Marriage will come pretty far in your life. Get that stuff out of your head and focus on the more immediate things: school, a job (if applicable), driver's license, etc. Think about marriage when you're done with schooling. ^^

Well, everyone is different. Some people see themselves becoming the next nobel prize recipient, and others see themselves as a provider for their families. Seeing how Pancake is concerned about marrying the right person, shows that he's looking forward to starting a family in the future. On the other hand, he also wants to go to college, which will assist him with obtaining a job. There are people in this world who balance their education, occupations, and families very nicely. Though it might be difficult to do so, it's not impossible.

So, in short, I believe it's somewhat rational for him to be considering marriage, regardless of his age. Education isn't everything like everyone makes it out to be, regardless of how useful it is to us all.

elliotstriforce

trollin for booty
i have the basics mapped out, such as community college and my bachelors in political sciences at university of washington tacoma. beyond that as well as the in betweens are all blanks until they come.

I have a little bit of my future mapped out, but a lot of it depends on my growth as a trumpet player. I'll be graduating in December from my university with B.A. degrees in mathematics and music, and next Spring I will be auditioning at various schools for graduate study. Depending on what the cost of the schools end up being, I'll choose one to attend from Fall '14 to Spring '16. After that.... Who knows? I'd need to get a job, of course, but like I said, that'll depend on my trumpet abilities. I would love to be an orchestral musician, but as a trumpet player, being accepted into an orchestra that pays well enough is incredibly difficult. That's why I also am getting a degree in mathematics. I'm good at math, but it's not necessarily what I want to do. I'm setting my sights and goals on being a professional musician, but that's still a few years down the road.

Oh, I've planned, probably too much. It can be incredibly stressful to adhere to my plan, as there will always be external factors, entirely beyond my control, that get in the way from time to time.

The reason I plan, though, is because I absolutely refuse to settle in life. Meaning, I don't want to stay in my hometown, getting a bachelor's degree from a cheap college in a 'marketable field' that I don't care about at all, and spend the rest of my life working a 9-5 job whose only purpose is to make me enough money to survive. I'd be absolutely miserable.

I have dreams, just like everyone else, and if I want to realize them I have to have a game plan.

Edit: I'm not saying I'm nuts and am setting myself up to be homeless in a couple years, like if I wanted to be a famous Hollywood screenwriter or something. I'm going to study architecture, which is a bit less marketable, but infinitely more interesting than something like mechanical engineering or nursing or... packaging.

Last edited:

sailorgirl221

What a fearsome beast!!
honestly I've been out of high school for about three years now and I've done and seen alot of things that most people couldn't even dream up.. and i still don't know what i want to do with my life lol. right now i'm focusing on getting a better job and education and after that i would like to have babies. lol I've wanted babies for a long time now though i know that i am in no way shape or form ready to have children, so i'm getting my self ready. if i get married first that would be great but if i don't get married anytime soon i can figure out a way to have them my self. i might even adopt. though I guess that is my main focus to me right now is to get ready to have children! lol cause I want them

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Because I am going into my final year of high school in September, I have decided to begin planning what I may do after I walk off the stage at graduation. I started planning around the end of the 11th grade, but I didn't really start thinking hard about my plans until just a few days ago.

There is only one thing that I know I want to do: music. I have always wanted to pursue a career in music, and I know that I could given the skills that I possess. The only problem is that it is really difficult to get a steady career as a musician. Everybody who I have met who had the skills and knowledge to be a studio musician only make minimal amounts of money a year, by playing the occasional gig in bars and stuff. They all use music as a secondary career, meaning they would have had to find something else to do. This is the part that worries me, since I have no idea what I want to do as a main job that will give me time to work on music.

So, when we had our course selection in June, I balanced my courses to open up as many career opportunities as possible. My best courses, Chemistry and Pre-Calculus, don't have too many possibilities. However, combine chemistry, biology, calculus, English, and law, and the possibilities are nearly endless. So, throughout 12th grade, I will be able to assess my skills, and sort of put together a blueprint for my future based on what I can do. Then I will think about university and stuff. It's time to stop slacking off, I need to take this last year seriously.

At the current time, I know exactly what I am going to do when I leave high school. I am going to move to Kelowna, not for school, but to work for a year or two and save up some money for education. This will give me as much time as necessary to go over my transcripts, and then research the schools that offer what I excel at. I could just go straight to music school after school ends, but I am currently unsure of whether or not I want to study music that way. I want to be a recording artist, not a theory master. I dunno though, music school could be just what I need.

Luckily, I have already taken the first step to opening my future. Last year, I got a job at my local A&W. I worked there for a little over a year before leaving for personal reasons. I also took a course as a teacher assistant. Grade 10, I won the award for top musicianship of my grade. Last year, I won the top music student of the year award. All of these things combined will look excellent on any university application.

So, overall, I feel like my future is looking better and better the more I figure out about it. Planning does work, so long as you do it right, and give yourself time to do it.

Magatha

Magatha
Honestly the future is one of the few things that truly scares me.
I will be starting my senior year in High School a week from now, and I keep changing my mind and having doubts about what happens next.
Right now I plan on staying in Ohio and majoring in botany, but ask me in a month and my mind may have changed. I don't know if this is the real plan or just something so that I have an answer for all the people constantly asking me what happens next.

Burning Beast

Go to Hell 4 Heavens Sake
I'm a planner. I'm somebody who looks to the future with hope for a better day. I can say I've got probably 6 different routes mapped out for my life. :I So if one fails I can fall back on the other one. If something doesn't go exactly according to plan I don't have a heart attack about it though lol

EeveeChan

Is FINALLY out of school!
I have basics planned out, like going to a community college, move out, find a roommate, go to a university, get a professional job etc. But I don't have every single day planned out. Heck, I don't even know what I'm going to wear for the first day of school next week, let alone my next 4 years of being a college student.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Answering in my own thread >_>

Usually I just go with the flow, I'm quite unorganised that way, but more recently I've been planning ahead, because I have to really. I'm starting University soon, but in December I'm half-planning on moving to New Zealand on my own for a year or so. I was already planning on going to university over there, but it hasn't happened as quickly as I would have liked, so I kinda want to get over there and get some experience.

Only thing is that it's complicated, luckily enough a family friend lives over there, so I'm getting information off them at the moment, and I'm saving so I'll be able to rent an apartment to actually live. I'll probably be doing a bar job and a business internship, so I'm sure I'll be able to survive financially. Only thing is that the student finance providers might not be willing to give me a loan when I return, so I'll have to sort that out as well as University when I come back. I do look past University, but only roughly, I have my own Business ideas and a rough Business plan, but it will get updated as I gain experience. That's about it, career wise ;p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom