• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Pitch Black Nights

Just a passing idea I had while reading another thread: I think it would have been really cool if every now and then, you had a sort of New Moon night where the world got almost pitch black. Not quite on par with Typhlo ruins, you should be able to see about twice as far, but I think it would have just been pretty awesome to have these sorta tense moments every once in a while. And I mean, they'd be skippable for people who didn't want to bother with them. Make it so the game never combines them with a rainy night so that players who don't want to bother can just toss some wood down and skip through it. Honestly, I just sorta don't like when game devs go and make some whole new thing and don't maximize their use of it. Though I must admit, using it as sparingly as they do makes the moments where it does get used really stand out... but was that worth the tradeoff?

I love the idea. There actually are very dark night events even in real life, mainly moonless nights, but an even more extreme example is the real-world blood moon, though those come less often. I've been outside in one of them and god damn is it dark. I dunno if I agree that Breath of the Wild didn't make adequate use of the weather mechanics, but adding more potential occurrences can't be a bad thing. One of my favorite weather phenomenons in the game is actually the very misty rain where I can't see very far; it happened to me in the mountains once and it was trippy.

I'm also a big fan of the idea of very dark areas in adventure games and Zelda in general; I wish Twilight Princess' lantern sections were much darker, and this feels like it could have been an awesome example of something similar. Especially if BotW had had a lantern. xP Though I suppose doing this while holding a torch could have been spooky too, especially if maybe Stal enemies came out in especially big force during this event or something.

I love the idea. There actually are very dark night events even in real life, mainly moonless nights, but an even more extreme example is the real-world blood moon, though those come less often. I've been outside in one of them and god damn is it dark. I dunno if I agree that Breath of the Wild didn't make adequate use of the weather mechanics, but adding more potential occurrences can't be a bad thing. One of my favorite weather phenomenons in the game is actually the very misty rain where I can't see very far; it happened to me in the mountains once and it was trippy.

I'm also a big fan of the idea of very dark areas in adventure games and Zelda in general; I wish Twilight Princess' lantern sections were much darker, and this feels like it could have been an awesome example of something similar. Especially if BotW had had a lantern. xP Though I suppose doing this while holding a torch could have been spooky too, especially if maybe Stal enemies came out in especially big force during this event or something.
I never said they didn't make much use of the weather, I meant they make very little use of the pitch darkness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom