• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Picori and Skyloftians?

TNinja

Of the Gorons
Ok, so I just felt like playing Minish Cap (which was the first Zelda game I ever beat) for old time sake and I was reading the intro when it hit me. Now, I'm pretty sure someone came up with this idea already, because I remember reading a theory a long time ago about the skyloftians being related to picori, but I looked through the forum and couldn't find it so i'll just bring it up again.

Now, the intro to Minish Cap goes like this:

Zelda - the Minish Cap.png
A long, long time ago...

Zelda - the Minish Cap0.PNG
When the world was on the verge of being swallowed by shadow...

Zelda - the Minish Cap1.PNG
The tiny Picori appeared from the sky, bringing the hero of men a sword and a golden light.

Zelda - the Minish Cap2.PNG
With wisdom and courage, the hero drove out the darkness.

Zelda - the Minish Cap3.PNG
When peace had been restored, the people enshrined that blade with care.

This whole legend sounds really similar to the story behind Skyward Sword. I don't know much about the skyloftians, but I do know that they live in the sky and that the land below is supposed to be ruled by the demon tribe. One day a hero (Link) comes to the land below with the goddess sword/skyward sword not only to save Zelda, but also to do away with the demon tribe, ultimately driving out the darkness. One thing that is clear though is that the skyloftians aren't tiny picori and the picori sword isn't the goddess sword(although it does resemble it), but the stories sound similar, and a lot of old legends tend to be bent and exaggerated overtime. What do you guys think of this idea of the legend from the Minish Cap being the Skyward Sword story?

Last edited:
This is something that's been discussed for a while ever since Skyward Sword was officially announced and unveiled at last year's E3. It's kind of an odd issue, because yeah, a lot of elements of Skyward Sword really fit The Minish Cap's backstory. Especially the fact that Skyward Sword is clearly dealing with one of Hyrule's original foes, literally demons from the earth itself, which fits well with TMC's implied themes of the "darkness" being the original monsters and that monsters only infest Hyrule because the Sealed Chest was opened.

In fact, the story really fits exceptionally well with Skyward Sword, except for two things... The Goddess Sword becomes the Master Sword, not the Four Sword, and the Picori clearly are not the Skyloftians or the Goddess and other deities involved in Skyward Sword.

You suggested that the legend can be changed over time, but I don't think that applies here. That might make me seem like a hypocrite because of what I said in my article last Friday about Hyrule's creation myths changing over time, but there's a key difference here. There is absolutely nothing backing up those creation myths, not throughout the entire Zelda series. Everything in the TMC backstory, however, is completely shown and illustrated, and the fruits of it depicted exactly. The White Sword is intact, it's used to seal the monsters in the chest, the monsters are unleashed, the Light Force is located, the Picori (proper name: Minish) are present and accounted for, and even speak of their responsibility for the whole affair... just all of it is pretty much solidly backed up, so there's pretty much zero room for error.

I think the similarities are primarily thematic; Skyward Sword's director is the same guy who did The Minish Cap and he clearly enjoyed implementing lots of items from TMC... but beyond that the connections don't make sense. It will be interesting to see if they retcon things and do connect them, but I doubt it'll happen.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Take notice that the Picori are tiny and the Skyloftians are not. The Picori Blade was also brought down to the Hero of Men, while Link gets the Goddess Sword while in the sky. Two major differences there, and they pretty much discredit the theory of SS and MC connecting.

Night Owl

~Momentai
What If the Picori blade after sealing the monsters in the Chest was Hidden in a Safe Place and was forgotten through time. Then a nastier demon showed up. The Hero died When trying to relocate the Picori Blade and the Goddess had to intervene.

Of course the Picori blade and Events of MC, FS, and FSA take place in an alternate dimension.

Cyg

One-Winged Skyward Angel
I think the story of Minish Cap is supposed to be a sort of parallel version of the Hyrule story: the Light Force is a version of the Triforce, the Hero of Men is supposed to be a version of the Hero of Time/Link, the Four Sword is supposed to be the Master Sword, etc. Taking that into consideration, the Minish Cap may be a different version/alternate dimension of Skyward Sword. The Picori Blade might be the Goddess Sword (becoming the Four Sword, alternate of the Master Sword), the Picori may be the Skyloftians, etc. :)

The four sword makes an appearance it will probably be in the form of the white sword, since it needs elements to become the four sword, then link ditches that sword for the master sword or he put it in the chest or something. It's possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom