• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Picking Up Enemies and Throwing Them

Salem

SICK
In the Zelda series, we've gone through only a few enemies that Link can lift and throw them thanks to the power bracelet, OoS boss Dodongo come to mind and the mini-boss in the third dungeon.

I would love to see this happen in future Zelda games for the Wii U, I don't think we've seen that in the 3D games, have we?

I think this will be fun, throwing a moblin at another moblin maybe? I would love to throw enemies off the cliff and see them plummet to their doom.:)

What do you guys think? Do you want this to happen, or is this one of the dumber ideas I had?

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
It'd be a good idea but it would make the game so very easy imho. Anytime friendly fire or something silly like picking an enemy up exists, the Zelda game tends to be ridiculously easy. So no, I don't want it. :/

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I read the title and thought about Super Mario Bros. 2

I don't like the idea to be honest. Why throw an enemy at another enemy when you can just stab both of them with your sword. Unless they put a swordless section where you have to pick up enemies and throw them, it just seems kind of pointless. I do like the idea with boss battles though. The Dodongo and Omuai battles from Oracle of Seasons were pretty fun because you had to pick them up and throw them. It made you feel strong and powerful, even though you were using an item to lift them. The same thing could work in a 3D game. I actually liked the Jalhalla battle from The Wind Waker, and it would be cool to see a similar boss fight in the future.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
It's a neat idea but I don't think it's what the combat is missing, the ability to pick up enemies and throw. I'd rather them flesh out the combat system in other ways. Also, can't help but worry how it'd look in a realistic Zelda game, if we get one.

Salem

SICK
It'd be a good idea but it would make the game so very easy imho. Anytime friendly fire or something silly like picking an enemy up exists, the Zelda game tends to be ridiculously easy. So no, I don't want it. :/
If they add something like that, wouldn't they take that into consideration and make the enemies stronger?

We have, just not much. The first that springs to mind is Jalhalla from WW, with the frozen purple Chus from the same temple also being throwable. You can also freeze regular enemies and throw them with the Ice Arrows.
I COMPLETLY forgot about Jalhalla.:O

Aside from WW though, I'm not aware of any throwable enemies. I think this in itself answers the question for me. For games with a more serious tone it would just look goofy and unrealistic to have Link throwing enemies. Unless the throwing was given a martial arts twist, with the throwing being more of a push to the ground, I don't think it would fit well with most 3D games. They could have got away with it in Skyward Sword as it just seemed to ooze goofiness (sometimes unintentionally). But they were more concerned with getting your sword out as much as possible.
All Zelda games had goofiness in them, even the "darkest" ones, MM and TP.;) I wouldn't see this as a problem.

I read the title and thought about Super Mario Bros. 2
Yeah, lol

I don't like the idea to be honest. Why throw an enemy at another enemy when you can just stab both of them with your sword. Unless they put a swordless section where you have to pick up enemies and throw them, it just seems kind of pointless.
I dunno, maybe the sword CAN'T hurt those particular enemies?

Last edited:

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
I like the idea. You could implement it in combat, for a section where you lose your sword, or be involved in puzzle-solving. It could really help add a new layer to combat. I'm tired of just killing all the enemies. bring on something new!

Here's an idea. What if there's a fat Moblin blocking a path, and you have to get a power bracelet to move it and proceed. It could be just like the Snorlax in Pokemon Red/Blue. Cool idea?

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Mayor Dotour said:
Yes, hmm, well...
I think that quote fits just nicely here, given the situation. He was kind of unsure of whether or not he should agree with what the carpenters and guards were saying, which is the way I am right now.

It is definitely an interesting idea. However, I do not think it would really fit well in a game like ZU, if it is in fact realistic like the Tech Demo. It worked with various enemies in The Wind Waker, but it fit in with the style of the game. It would just look goofy if done in a more "realistic" environment, which is not a problem in a game such as TWW. Even then though, the throwable enemies in TWW were either a stupidly ridiculous boss, or a frozen enemy. Link couldn't just pick up enemies and throw them, because that would just look strange.

On the other hand, it would offer more opportunities for swordless gameplay, which is something the series needs once in a while, and could add a comical element to whichever game it may or may not be present in. However, the options for this type of swordless gameplay are almost already endless, so the ability to throw enemies is actually quite unnecessary.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
donkeykongreturns2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom