• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Physical Books Versus E-Books

Kleora

Kleora
I personally love my eReader, it's much easier to carry about and it's like 5000 books in one! Alas, I must say I favour traditional books. There's no feeling like the feeling of turning the weathered pages of your favourite book, eagerly reading a story you long ago became enraptured in.

E-books,I prefer a E-book because I am allergic,and when I finish a book,I put it on the book shelf and rarely use it again,so it might be with dust(I give it to my friends).

I like electronic books for the fact that they're more convenient than digging a book out of storage or from a shelf, and for the fact that they can store millions of books in a small form factor. Regular books definitely have a sentimental appeal though.

Eboooks make books much cheaper and lighter, especially when u like reading many books on a holiday or something

I am not opposed to e-books, but, as I think I have said here before (regarding games), I think I am kind of old-fashioned. I prefer to actually have a physical copy of the book. Now that I think about it, I am kind of a wannabe collector. I prefer physical media over digital distribution. I hate "Greatest Hits" versions of video games, and I prefer to own whole franchises of books, games (although it is kind of difficult with Zelda) and movies/TV shows, rather than just individual installments. The only problem is, I can't afford to be a collector.
I know a lot of that last paragraph was starting to stray from the topic, so I will just sum up my thoughts on the matter here. I know e-books have some advantages over physical books, such as durability, portability, and price, but I prefer to have the actual physical books.
Old-fashioned physical books win here.

I love physical books, the feel of them, the smell when they're new and I like how they 'get old'.
But of course they have their downsides. They are heavy and easily stained...
And I don't know if it's a phenomenon I noticed just because I lived in a non-English country, but:
Whenever I buy softcover books in English, they are sort of tattered (?) when I just touch them. The layers of the cover start separating and I'll have to glue them together again :dry:
Maybe it's just me, but other softcovers seem more robust.

The advantage of e-books is of course that you can carry thousands of books without it being heavy.
That's why I think about buying a e-reader, it's just plain annoying to exceed the limit at the airport because you have too much books...
So, it can be beneficial, I would never trade my little library for it, however :D

bkelly458

Just Some Dude
I tend to prefer E-readers.

For the most part, I've never liked having to hold a physical book, and fighting against the pages and binding to read the page your on. Supposedly that makes me weird, but oh well... :)

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I tend to prefer E-readers.

For the most part, I've never liked having to hold a physical book, and fighting against the pages and binding to read the page your on. Supposedly that makes me weird, but oh well... :)

Then you're just as weird as I am, never been a fan of holding a physical book (even though I love to read, lol)

I personally like both e-books and physical books. E-books are great because they're cheaper and you can carry a lot on one device. But physical books are great too because there are a lot of books that aren't available as e-books, and it's just nice to hold a normal book sometimes. :)

Taggerung115

Warrior
Part of the pleasure I have in reading a regular book is seeing it wear out. This may sound demented but I feel satisfied and accomplished seeing the pages of a book turn black. If anything, it's more uncomfortable holding an E-Reader for extended periods of time. I do agree that digital readers are great for travel, however. Any buying the Kindle?! Wouldn't the Kindle Fire have been better-more features and color screen and all.

I agree with you. Reading a regular book is seeing it wear out means that it is well loved. I am sort of torn between hard copies and electronic copies. I always get satifaction when I can see how far through a thick book by seeing where my bookmark is poking out. But then with ipod or Kindle, I can store many books on on device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom