• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Phantom Ganon, Termina, and the Gap Between Dimensions

I've never seen anyone mention this, so I thought I would propose my own theory. Also, this is my first post here, so be gentle.

When Phantom Ganon is defeated in Ocarina of Time, we hear Ganondorf state he is going to drop him in the "gap between dimensions." I've actually never heard anyone discuss this, but ever since Majoras Mask came out my brothers and I assumed he meant the wooded area between Termina and Hyrule. Before I had nothing to prove this assumption, but one piece of evidence has been brought to my attention which allows the facilitation of further theorization.

A segment of Did You Know Gaming (a popular segment on this site) pointed out that if one is to translate the Hylian inscription on Phantom Ganon's blade as he appears in Wind Waker, it will contain the names "Zubora" and Gabora." This is important to note: these characters are Terminian blacksmiths Link can encounter in Majoras Mask. This further cements my theory that Phantom Ganon has, at some point, existed within this alternate dimension.

This begs the question: does Phantom Ganon originate from Termina? We see the alternate counterparts of his surrogate mothers, but there is no Terminian Ganondorf in sight. This leads me to believe that Hyrule's Ganondorf found his Terminian self (perhaps a "good" Ganondorf?) and abducted him to become a servant. The witches maintain their powers despite being good, or rather neutral. It isn't hard to imagine an alternate dimension Ganondorf, with a decent grasp on the dark arts, working in a potion shop with his adoptive mothers, whisked away by his evil doppelganger. Brainwashed, corrupted, sent between worlds when he fails, and resurrected when he is needed again. Ok, perhaps that's a bit much.

I would assume someone would claim that Ganondorf only exists because of the Triforce, which is essentially a non entity in Termina. If the world needs a physical manifestation of evil, Majora would have that covered. In support of this, Zelda may not appear in Termina because of her connection to Hylia. Or maybe she is there, but Link just never encounters her because that would demand a more extensive sub plot. However, a semi powerful Ganondorf might exist there, he just wouldn't be evil incarnate. I don't think this train of thought necessarily debunks mine, but it does seem to be a proper rebuttal that needs to be addressed. And it hardly matters that the events of Majoras Mask do not take place on the Wind Waker timeline; Termina would still exist, Link just wouldn't be there at any point.

In conclusion, it seems that Phantom Ganon certainly has a connection to Termina in one way or another. My ideas are mostly speculative, but they provide an interesting excuse for why we never meet Ganondorf next to his mothers. I wish they would have thrown him in, it could've been hilarious to see the King of Thieves complaining about his menial chores. Furthermore, it is interesting to think how powerful Ganondorf is if he not only knows about alternate dimensions -which he states explicitly - but can also reach into them and take what he wants. But then maybe the gap between dimensions is between the sacred realm and Hyrule? It could be anything really. But I think there is enough to go on to assume that it is the place we see between Hyrule and Termina.

Thoughts?

Hmm, when the term "gap between dimensions" was said doesn't necessarily mean "Termina" for we know in our reality out universe is know to 11 dimensions, big dimensions and smaller dimensions. There are multiple dimensions, think of the "gap" like the "ether" it is the space in between space, it is a spot in the universe where you arent in either dimension , you are just in a form of "ether" per say.

Another thing I would like to point out is that the sword phantom Ganon is wielding in WW does have the writing on it. But the writing is modern Hylian not the Hylian from OoT. Also The people from Termina don't even speak or write in Hylian because They don't know that Hyrule even exists.

Last edited:
Excellent points. Perhaps Im looking a bit too far into an Easter egg? Just an interesting thought I had that justified childhood imagination. But it does make me think of what phantom ganon really is. An evil creation of Ganondorf forced to traverse the ether as a dark spirit. That sounds pretty awesome. It seems that phantom ganon does have a connection to the other dimensions though, so I'm questioning whether he has any role in Termina.

Excellent points. Perhaps Im looking a bit too far into an Easter egg? Just an interesting thought I had that justified childhood imagination. But it does make me think of what phantom ganon really is. An evil creation of Ganondorf forced to traverse the ether as a dark spirit. That sounds pretty awesome. It seems that phantom ganon does have a connection to the other dimensions though, so I'm questioning whether he has any role in Termina.

I don't necessarily believe that Phantom Ganon can travel through the ether, but that Ganon has the "power" to control Phantom ganon. He is just a puppet, which means Ganondorf can actually control him and fight Link without actually haing to get his hands dirty. Think of the Gap as more of a trash can, when Ganondorf saw that it was a worthless creation he simply just threw it out.

Ghirahimiscool

Cucco Butt
Your theory is still interesting though. And you never know what happens, unless its actually said. Since no one said where "the gap between dimensions" is, your theory could be true. But maybe not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom