• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

PETA Disses Mario

Kirino

Tatakae
Peta is stupid. People don't see Mario as a rolemodel. Nobody looks at tanooki Mario and thinks that he skinned a raccoon for his fur. Most people just think of the tanooki suit as a power up that gives Mario a raccoon looking suit that lets him float. Nobody's going to go and say “Oh, if Mario turns into in animal by getting a leaf, then I guess it's okay to wear fur.” I'm a really huge animal lover, but I hate Peta.

T

Tadock

Well, Wearing fur sucks. They may have been a bit over the top with this. Peta must not have a lot of gamers who understand that Mario transforms or powers up and doesn't wear fur.

knowlee

Like a river's flow, it never ends...
Really, PETA? I honestly have no idea why they would make something like this. Like many others have said Mario gets those abilities from a Leaf not from an animal! I mean I love animals and believe that they should be treated nicely, but this is absolutely ridiculous. They're trying to make something out of nothing.

It's not a charity; it's a travesty.

Moving to the main topic, I honestly don't know anything about PETA. But dissing a world-famous character--Nintendo's mascot, no less--is indeed a ridiculous (perfect word, Jimmy) disposition of advertising. The Tenuki, as spelled in Japanese, is a squirrel that Nintendo of Japanese decided to place into the game. Surely it holds some sort of sacrosanct significance to them, since the big N is known for putting icons from all sorts of religions, including their own, into their games. If so, then PETA insulted not only Nintendo of Japan, but also Japan and its lifestyles. I honestly am frustrated by this, for my previous reason. More respect should be given to Nintendo because like with many other admirable traits they have warranted respect.

They insulted Japan by insulting Mario? Err... I think you might not understand how national pride works. Also, "Nintendo of Japanese"? really?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
PETA is jelly because Mario can gain a suit from a leaf. I suppose Mario'd be harming nature (he would ideally "eat" the leaf to gain his powers), but not directly hurting any animals. Leaves fall off their trees, natural cycle of life. PETA has no reason to get so mad, especially over a video game.

I don't think PETA really dissed Mario, since they don't have the ability to diss anyone.

Honestly, PETA is such a laughable organization that means absolutely nothing to anyone. Sometimes they hit some good topic (KFC), but for the most part, they're just useless, over publicized people who only do things like this to get that publicity.

MikauIncarnate

Hero of the Zora
I mean, yeah, animals should be treated well. Not necessarily animal "rights" per se, but I do agree that they shouldn't be slaughtered in the way they are. However making a game where everyone you talk to is like "Did you know over half of the chickens who go into chicken nuggets have their necks cut while they're alive?" is excessive. Besides, if anyone else looked at the cooking mama thing, that is just CREEPY. Who in their right mind would even think that anyone would cook a turkey while it still has feathers? Or that when you crack open an egg, blood comes out. Yeah, I think PETA is just making themselves look bad with these games.

Libk

Spaceballs: The Mafia Player
I didn't look here first, got redirected here because I thought it should be in the mature discussion, but as much as I don't support Peta, it's a fun time killer.

DARK MASTER

The Emperor
I disagree with many of PETA's decisions. I find they are irrational because they don't understand how radical many of their statements are. The human body can't grow properly without the nutrition from preferably "grass-fed" meat and their co-factor enzymes and their is no protein replacement source equal or better than meat. That is why a lot of vegetarians have protein and mineral imbalances, particularly zinc. Any nutritionist would recommend daily meat intake for optimal growth and brain development. Exchanging soy for protein is haphazard because it upsets estrogen balance. Refer to the article on the Internet called "The Dark Side of Soy." All they're after is attention for donations, which is why they were claiming to be upset with Obama for killing a Fly. What a joke.
According to PETA, nobody should ever own a pet or wear leather. So what should we do with the additional millions of pets currently owned? Also, could someone please explain to me why a magical leaf giving you a suite is such a terrible act? However, so many people have already said this, so it's rather pointless. I don't believe in animal abuse, however I also understand that humans need meat which is why I disagree with PETA.

YouTube user Brentalfloss posted a rant about this stupid situation. I think he did a rather nice job, and I advise you to check it out.

[video=youtube;0Jog5ZLY-dQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jog5ZLY-dQ&feature=channel_video_title[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think PETA really dissed Mario, since they don't have the ability to diss anyone.

Honestly, PETA is such a laughable organization that means absolutely nothing to anyone. Sometimes they hit some good topic (KFC), but for the most part, they're just useless, over publicized people who only do things like this to get that publicity.
Yeah you kinda hit the nail on the head here. They accomplish nothing, and no one thinks they accomplish anything. They make an occasional good point, but they tarnish their own word with their behavior. No one takes them seriously.

I'm not sure why people are even surprised by this latest thing. PETA has been doing things like this since the start. This is exactly what everyone expects from them, so I'm not sure why anyone bothers to give them any attention anymore, considering that's exactly what they want. >.<

I may not be 100% correct on this... but isn't a tanooki a fictional creature? Like a unicorn and the like?
Grow up PETA, haha.
It's a real creature but there is a cultural image associated with it that doesn't reflect real life. It's like folklore of a real creature.

You ought to see how they make those furs in China. Maybe once you see the truth you'll start to realize how terrible it is.
Still, making these dumb games isn't the way to go about this, they should release more videos showing what they do to animals in places like China, and they should show these things in public.
If it's a question of the method used, then it should be properly addressed as such, not made out to demonize people for wearing fur at all, which has been a necessity for survival in the past and is something I fail to see as something harmful. As Brentalfloss points out in the video Dark Master linked to (good video, and good points, btw), animals are guilty of horrible atrocities against each other, and while you may argue that they do it all for survival, that's not true at all. Plenty of things a variety of species do in the wild are grotesquely destructive and cruel and serve no practical purpose whatsover, kinda like how dolphins murder porpoises and then rape their corpses. When that's the natural order of things, you can't damn someone for wanting a nice piece of clothing made out of animal fur, because at least that has a purpose. 90% of the animal rights stuff I've heard seems to me to be completely ignorant of how the world works; people just don't understand how entirely brutal and unforgiving nature is.

If the issue is about excessive mistreatment of animals, it should be addressed as such so it can be truly acknowledged and dealt with, not mistaken for wild demonizing, which is exactly what PETA does.

Last edited:

sikora360

TetraForce FTW
LOL. I played this today.

nintendoeverything.com not only talked about it but gave it a review (here). They gave it a score of 2/10

The Verdict:

For a game that they could have been in development since the reveal of the Tanooki Suit in 1988, Super Tanooki Skin 2D is mindblowingly simple. There’s no online play, little to no replay value, and the controls are so dated you’d think they came from a time before video games existed. Definitely not something I’d recommend.

The Score: 2/10

LOL

T

Tadock

While that youtube video was pretty much correct. It was really annoying.

DARK MASTER

The Emperor
While that youtube video was pretty much correct. It was really annoying.

What makes you think that? If you want to make a statement fine, but you must give some reasons as to why you feel this way. I could say, "Dogs can fly." But no one would take me seriously, unless I gave reasons as to why dogs can fly. Do you understand what I'm saying now? Best of luck my friend.;)

T

Tadock

I mean it's annoying. The way that guy talks annoys me. I don't really think there is more to say about it than that. It is a personal preference. Not something I feel needs evidence. All of the factual things in the video I said I agree with.

Also that review of the game is hilarious. And goes back to my point that Peta must not have a lot of gamers. Since they haven't really cared until now about the Tanooki suit.

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
Seriously, I'm believing at this point PETA is a group of attention-seeking people who are wacko in the head. From my research, they do much more harm than good to the majority of animals.

I actually went to EPCOT this past weekend and saw Japan's exhibit about the fictional creatures that are represented in the past and present, and the Tanooki was one of them. So, if the Tanooki suit was originally introduced in the late 1980's (correct me if I'm wrong on that date), why is it getting a heavy reaction from PETA now in 2011?

The Tanooki suit comes from a leaf, and the Tanooki itself isn't a real animal. As others have said, there are many games where you do much harm to animals. In a lot of Bethesda games, you can maim animals for your survival. In the Call of Duty titles, you must kill dogs before they tear you apart. However, I doubt any of those titles have been given bad rep for those from PETA or any other animal rights association.

Sometimes, I just want to :facepalm:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom