• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

PETA Disses Mario

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
This is a huge overreaction. I sympathize with PETA sometimes, but come on; this is rediculous.

and by the way...
LinkGoro said:
I mean, a week ago, someone claimed Ghirahim to make people gay.
Because he's flamboyant? Yeah, I noticed that when I first saw him. But I'm still not Gay.
I must admit, I could become gay for Ghirahim. He's just that awesome. :)

Last edited:

Kid Buu

The Ultimate Majin
No, I haven't played RDR. That sounds pretty awful though. But of course, these morons have to go after something completely irrelevant instead of something that actually does suggest some harmful things.

To be honest, I don't care if someone is wearing fur. I don't support animal rights. But it doesn't affect me if someone does support it. PETA just takes stuff too far.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
I'm beginning to think that charities are beginning to make these sorts of statements because they know it will generate them publicity as people cry "political correctness gone mad". I'd be very surprised if anyone in the organisation of PETA genuinely thinks that Mario games encourage people to buy fur, it's probably just a publicity stunt to raise awareness of the charity (is it a charity?). They are being ridiculous though.

It's not a charity; it's a travesty.

Moving to the main topic, I honestly don't know anything about PETA. But dissing a world-famous character--Nintendo's mascot, no less--is indeed a ridiculous (perfect word, Jimmy) disposition of advertising. The Tenuki, as spelled in Japanese, is a squirrel that Nintendo of Japanese decided to place into the game. Surely it holds some sort of sacrosanct significance to them, since the big N is known for putting icons from all sorts of religions, including their own, into their games. If so, then PETA insulted not only Nintendo of Japan, but also Japan and its lifestyles. I honestly am frustrated by this, for my previous reason. More respect should be given to Nintendo because like with many other admirable traits they have warranted respect.

onidarklink2

An Hero of our Time
To be honest, I don't care if someone is wearing fur. I don't support animal rights. But it doesn't affect me if someone does support it. PETA just takes stuff too far.
You ought to see how they make those furs in China. Maybe once you see the truth you'll start to realize how terrible it is.
Still, making these dumb games isn't the way to go about this, they should release more videos showing what they do to animals in places like China, and they should show these things in public.

Kid Buu

The Ultimate Majin
You ought to see how they make those furs in China. Maybe once you see the truth you'll start to realize how terrible it is.
Still, making these dumb games isn't the way to go about this, they should release more videos showing what they do to animals in places like China, and they should show these things in public.

I know what people do to animals. I've seen what people do to Guinea Pigs in South America. I do care for animals, but I don't like the 'rights' part.

Strangelove

Somewhere
Oh for crying out loud....do people really look to Mario as a role model? Do they for the meaning behind everything he does?
"He trounced a koopa, guess that means it's okay to jump on Hedgehogs.." No.
No, they do not.
This shouldn't be an issue.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I'm beginning to think that charities are beginning to make these sorts of statements because they know it will generate them publicity as people cry "political correctness gone mad". I'd be very surprised if anyone in the organisation of PETA genuinely thinks that Mario games encourage people to buy fur, it's probably just a publicity stunt to raise awareness of the charity (is it a charity?). They are being ridiculous though.
No, not a charity. Far from it. At one time, the United States Department of Agriculture classified them as domestic special interest terrorists. I believe that they've since taken them off that list. But it's not far off the mark. Many high ranking PETA members are known members of the Animal Liberation Front, which is without a doubt a domestic terrorist organization. And since PETA is non-profit, their tax records are legally available to the public and it shows that they pay legal fees of ALF members charged with terrorism. I'd say it's very likely a front for the ALF. Either way, its tactics are extreme and only serves to hurt the cause of animal rights. (This might work as a separate topic.)

Poe

ᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ ᴅɪsᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs
I have to say that picking on Mario seems a little, well, random.

The suit reminds me of those one-piece costumes parents stick their kids into for parties and such. There are games which would arguably be worse for animal abuse of whatever it is that PETA actually attempts to protest like, oh I don't know, any of the zombie-type games that involves mutated dogs?

This honest comes off as PETA saying that it's fine to 'broadcast' that killing other people is fine, but don't you dare go down to the local costume shop and pick up a raccoon shaped suit.

I may not be 100% correct on this... but isn't a tanooki a fictional creature? Like a unicorn and the like?
Grow up PETA, haha.

Well sorta, according to Wikipedia:
Tanuki (狸, タヌキ?) is the common Japanese name for the Japanese raccoon dog (Nyctereutes procyonoides viverrinus). They have been part of Japanese folklore since ancient times. The legendary tanuki is reputed to be mischievous and jolly, a master of disguise and shapeshifting, but somewhat gullible and absentminded.

Apparently the name [Tanuki] is often mistakenly translated as badger and more commonly raccoon into English.

I'm against the slaughtering of animals, especially for their fur, but wow. Mario becomes the more fictional version of said creature by means of a freakin' leaf. I also don't believe he is wearing a costume per se, and moreso that he actually becomes a tanuki. Hm... He sorta appears to be more of a mascot if anything.

GoldenGengle64

A v ^ A v ^
I've heard of that! Crazy stuff. I researched PETA for a school project last year... their anti-McDonald's website talks about the "Unhappy Meals" they would hand out to children that had pictures of Ronald McDonald with fangs and mangled chickens. I think PETA's really pushing the envelope by saying the Tanooki suit promotes wearing fur. I would never even have thought of that!

Oh my god, i saw this too. Seriously? What are they thinking? There are thousands of more violent games, and yet you choose to pick on Mario. The Tanooki Suit was in Super Mario Bros. 3! Complete idiocy.

Ochibi

An enthusiastic nobody.
How many PeTA members does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None! PeTA can't change anything!!

But seriously; the Power-up is given to you be a leaf, not an actual animal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom