• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Pet Peeves

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
This may be a long list.

1. People who indiscriminately adopt new technology, but give up quickly on implementing it in situations where it might actually be useful, due to minor setbacks.

2. Dogs, and people who own them. They're so gross.

3. Two-door cars that have four seats, and require pushing the seats back and forth to get in/out.

4. Having to wear closed-toe shoes indoors. My feet can't breathe, and I can't relax. :(

5. Highly critical people who can't take criticism themselves.

6. Smoke detectors that can't tell the difference between a fire and lousy cooking, and that can't be deactivated for more than a few minutes.

7. People who presume to know what you want/need better than you do, but don't.

8. People who insist that their truth is everyone's truth.

9. Insects that can bite. They're really gross, but not as gross as dogs.

10. Rats. They can carry plague!

11. Running out of Diet Coke.

12. Having to eat at a restaurant when I'm already full, and THEN being asked if I want dessert.

13. Tasteless jokes that center around things like genitalia and race.

14. Macaroni and Cheese. That stuff makes me feel ill.

15. Being forced to pick where to eat when I have no preference.

16. People who are overly passionate about things, try to shove them in your face, and are oblivious to your lack of interest.

17. People who get offended because I don't want to eat/drink something they've already bitten into/taken a drink from it.

18. The social expectation that using pens instead of pencils is more "professional," and that I have to use a pen to sign my name. It makes me really anxious that I can't erase.

19. The fact that the touchscreen (thanks to the iPhone) and rotating through number pad are what's "in" now, and that I'm being called old-fashioned/silly for wanting an actual mini-keyboard on a phone that I'm expected to compose e-mails on.

20. The fact that most games use the Wiimote's motion detection in incredibly arbitrary ways that hurt my wrist to make up for the lack of buttons, rather than designing the game to actually be comfortable to play.

21. The fact that the US hasn't switched to the Metric system yet. It's really embarrassing that you can often pass for a scientist/academic here just by knowing how it works.

22. Constant spelling/grammatical errors, mispronunciation, and heavy use of slang. I don't mind an occasional slang word, but it can be overdone.

That's all for now. I'm an incredibly easy to annoy person, huh? ;)

Last edited:
I get annoyed when people write really heavy and dark with a pencil. How barbaric. Learn how to write like a decent human being.

Axle the Beast said:
I've also been known to get annoyed at girls (or people in general) who do the stereotypical "bubbly" "girly" thing, saying "like" way too much.

^This. It has always annoyed me. Some girls just take it too far.

One thing I cannot stand is bad grammar, particularly the incorrect usage of "your" and "you're", "there", "they're", and "their". When I see someone using those words incorrectly, it instantly pisses me off and I feel the need to correct them. Texting via cell phones also annoy me. Texting a short message can be convenient at times but having a whole conversation via a cell phone text is just annoying. Phones are for calling, not texting a whole conversation. Slow readers also annoy me because when I have to listen to one it just wastes me time. People always telling me how I should act and what I should do aggravates me. Another pet peeve of mine is females that behave as though they deserve special treatment just for being female. :dry: That's always annoyed me.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Athenian200, you and I share a lot of pet peeves. I think almost everything on your list gets to me as well.

:) Glad to hear I'm not alone with all of those.

By the way, you mentioned group work. It's been so long since I was in school that I almost forgot. I could never count on other group members to do their work correctly. So I would just offer to do all of the work for my group alone while giving them credit for various parts, and thankfully they were usually so lazy that they'd accept the offer. Thus I'd get the work done ahead of time, and still got straight As. It would have been much more frustrating if they'd insisted on my trusting them to do their part or use their ideas.

Oh here's another one... Norton. Norton is a security program for computers. My subscription, though, has expired. Now I am bombarded with pop-ups everywhere on my computer because my subscription has expired. Also, there's one pop-up that always... pops up... every 24 hours, so I see it at least once a day. But renewing a subscription costs money, and I don't know if my dad will want to renew these subscriptions or not.

Flute Boy

ganon slayer
i really hate it when people act all "ist" (racist, sexist, ect) and claim others are being ist people, or those stupid people who call you a racist because you just said a black person was black. and one of the most annoying things to me, is *** steriotypes who say things like "people who wear glasses must be smart and nerdy" or the favored dumb blonde steriotype.

the worst thing, was yesterday, some stupid girls tied this kids shoelaces together with 5 or 6 knots so tight, his shoelaces had to be cut to undo the knots. as he was trying to walk, they tried to step on his shoelaces making him fall down yet again. i had to help him across the street, but they kept tripping him, which in turn tripped me.

Austin

Austin
In contrast to my first pet peeve, another thing that bothers me are waiters that are overly attendant. I understand coming by once after the food arrives just to see if everything is okay, but it really pisses me off if they check in every time they walk by me. If there was a problem, I'd tell them, I don't need them to make me feel like it's okay to ask a question.

And totally unrelated, another pet peeve are people that make unneccesary niceties. Like, if someone asks you to sign a receit by saying something like "do you want to sign here?". Isn't that a bit of a given? Do they have customers who refuse to sign and run out on them? Or when people say thanks when you were doing something you have to do. Like handing in a paper on time, and the teacher thanks you. What's the appropriate response? "Oh, no problem, it wasn't too much trouble for me to do what's expected of me". There's nothing wrong with it, it just irks me.

blubb

Ash Gala Wonderful!
Oh here's another one... Norton. Norton is a security program for computers. My subscription, though, has expired. Now I am bombarded with pop-ups everywhere on my computer because my subscription has expired. Also, there's one pop-up that always... pops up... every 24 hours, so I see it at least once a day. But renewing a subscription costs money, and I don't know if my dad will want to renew these subscriptions or not.
Now that you say it: I've got something very similar here. I've been using Antivir for a few years now. I mean on the one hand it's great that it's free and at the same time has quite a good reputation and I should probably be thankful for that... but: For a few years now, every 24 hrs or so, a pop-up called "notifier" shows up and wants me to convince that I have to buy a "premium version". I mean shouldn't they slowly start to notice after the 1000th time or so (that's not even an exaggeration!)... that I don't want to buy their premium version? The worst thing about it is that it even forcefully mimizes other totally unrelated full-screen applications and sometimes crashes them as a result of that. Do they really think that will motivate me to buy that stuff? And I thougth it was called an anti-virus program because it is supposed to prevent such things from happening. Imagine yourself playing a game, watching TV on your PC etc. and then that stupid popup comes out of nowhere... so annoying! That being said I'm not even playing online games, in that case it would propably cause me to explode completely.

Pet peeves...oh dear. Quite a few.

1. The fact that soda is fattening.

2. The fact that I can't go through a day without having a HUGE craving for soda.

3. The fact that I haven't had a soda for a over a month now and the cravings WILL NOT STOP.

4. The fact that I cannot drop the soda weight :(

5. This goes along with the aforementioned teamwork - working with people who are slow, can't do certain tasks themselves that they should be able to, or who refuse to take up certain tasks. Completely referring to my job in this sense. I don't mind working with people at all, but they have to keep up with me and have to actually take up the responsibility of the job or I go crazy. And get really cranky besides.

6. Excessive use of the word "like". I completely try to avoid the word, but I catch myself occasionally. Really what I have are the people who use it constantly, and seem to forget how to hold a REAL conversation without resorting to "like" every other word. Drives me nuts.

7. Being on the night shift at work and trying to maintain a normal schedule besides. Hard to have a daily life without missing out on things while still getting enough sleep.

8. My overheating laptop. Thing doesn't like to stay on for more than an hour before it shuts itself down. Someday I'm going to buy a new computer...

There's probably more but those are what I have at the top of my head. Every day it changes :)

Icetomeetyou

*brofist*
Improper grammar/ spelling is number one on my list.

People that act like they know everything.

Stupidity.

When people are overly sensitive.

People who say things like "I LEIK FUDGE LOLOLOL!!!" because it's "random."

Loud people. (I'm such a hypocrite.)

Self-centered people.

Being told I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
I don't like plagerism. I come up with a really good idea, or something really simple like a joke or catchphrase, and someone passes it off as their own.

Tom

I get annoyed when people write really heavy and dark with a pencil. How barbaric. Learn how to write like a decent human being.
Lolz at that.

Hrmm. I was at the supermarket last tuesday and while I was thinking about pet peeves to post here at ZD (ironically, nothing seemed to bother me at that moment), my mother told me to go grab a spot at the queue, and I did it. After five minutes she came back with some stuff she wanted to buy on her hands. You see where I'm trying to get here? I hate when people tell you to wait for them while they go grab something else and return 10 minutes later. This makes me look stupid in front of all the other people waiting in line behind me, and what can I tell the lady that's hoping me to give her cash for what I just bought? This is probably one of the most uncomfortable situations of all.

Here's another one that I can't stand, and I don't mean to offend anybody, I'm sorry if I do. People who smoke. I cannot stand the smell of cigarette smoke and every time I walk near any one who is smoking a cigarette, I will immediately hold my breathe until I am a safe distance away, so that I don't breathe in any of the smoke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom