• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Pet Peeves

Got any pet peeves or minor things that annoy you personally?

Me myself, I'm usually a pretty calm guy, but despite that, I am easily agitated. There's a lot of things that get on my nerves, even if they don't flat out piss me off.

One of the big things for me is repetition and slowness. I always try to make sure I don't have to do or hear something repeatedly, and find ways to purposely streamline everything I do because I don't like wasting time.

Getting interrupted is another one. Especially for me because I pause a lot when I speak and people have a tendency to think I'm done speaking. :(

Other even more minor, more trivial things that can get on my nerves include... people saying "you should say this", and then proceeding to tell me. I don't mind hearing their opinion, but for some reason it annoys me when they tell me it's something I should say. Having to repeat myself more than once, although I suppose that goes along with repetition... badly trained dogs that go ape**** and charge me. I've also been known to get annoyed at girls (or people in general) who do the stereotypical "bubbly" "girly" thing, saying "like" way too much. Not always, but sometimes. Barbie, Bratz, or other doll commercials (not the toys or the idea, usually the annoying commercials). And I also tend to not like being ordered around, at least not unless it's certain people (like my mother or my boss... ones that have actual authority over me).

Big list. :P So how about you?

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
Hmm, well I hate it when people think I am ignoring them (long story, basically I am part deaf) so people think I am ignoring them and go all huffy on me when it isn't my fault!

I also hate it when people keep telling me they are right when I know they are wrong.

Flute Boy

ganon slayer
like meego, i am usually right, and evreyone around me is plain stupid. i also hate when people come around corners and say something when i dont notice them, it doesnt annoy me, but it scares the everloving **** outta me! i also hate when people are getting in trouble for doing something wrong when they do it right, so that gets me really badly. ALSO, this definatley wouldnt annoy most people, but it annoys the hell outta me, people always ask how santa makes it all the way around thee world in one night, TIME ZONES PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!! while it is day in china, it is night in america.

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
ooh god I hate it when people use texting for conversations. You want an actual conversation? Just call me. It's faster. Use texts for short messages, please.

I, too, have an issue with repeating things. I HATE having to repeat myself, so I get frustrated when people don't pick up what I said the first time around. Likewise, I hate it when people talk in circles. I already heard you the first time, just shut up.

One of my biggest pet peeves is the stereotyping of bubbly girls. :< I, myself, am a bubbly girl who said "like" every third word, so I hate it when people think we're dumb. Who'd have thought that being a happy person and talking a certain way would make one dumb? Jeez.

Another pet peeve is douchey men who think women can't/don't play games. These guys came into GameStop the other day and asked, "360 or PS3?" I started to explain the pros and cons of both, and they interrupted me to ask the males instead. I also had a guy tell his friend not to listen to me when he was interested in the Orange Box. He said, "She doesn't know, she's just a girl". SJFOPSDJFOJDOJF I am SO sick of jackass men. I swear the next one that does something like that will never be able to show his face in my store again.

And... I guess another pet peeve of mine is how if you talk to a member of the opposite sex, people want to consider it "flirting". That's such bullcrap. Why can't we just talk to people despite their gender? GOD FORBID I have a conversation about something with a MALE! Oooooh no! We both like XBOX so we're gonne get married and have a bajillion kids ohnoez! God... so freakin' stupid.

I guess my biggest pet peeve is just stupid people. Ugh.

Austin

Austin
Oh god.... I can be a pretty irrational person sometimes so a lot of things get on my nerves. However, I'll share one of the more justified ones.

I hate it when people get angry at waiters, or food servers in general. One, because it doesn't make the food come any faster, and two, because most of the time, it isn't that person's fault. For example, I was getting pizza with some friends, and one person who decided to tag along kept complaining the whole time "ZOMG, WHERE'S MY FOOD" and "WE'VE BEEN HERE FOR LIKE, 15 MINUTES, I GOTS THINGS TO DO". The guy at the counter was trying to serve up six orders at once while taking in new orders over the phone. Anyone with eyes could see that he was trying his hardest. And the guy complaining wasn't even paying. I was.

Less generously, another pet peeve I have are stupid people. You know who I'm talking about.

octorok74

TETTAC
My biggest pet peeve is people. Not the people on ZD, but the people I meet in the real world. They just always annoy me and they always walk so slow. If people just walked a little faster then I would be okay, but they always have to talk to someone which decreases there speed to slower then a snails pace. I swear, one day I am going to push these people out of the way of a car because they are walking slow and they will try to thank me, but I'll tell them to shut up and walk faster.

Another thing that gets on my nerves are people who don't know how to cross the street. The city puts up crosswalks for a reason people. And when they finally cross at the crosswalk, they cross against the flow of traffic. Those kids are asking to get hit by a car. I want all those kids to get hit, because the cars have the right of way and should not have to slow down. The drivers that do slow down are awfully considerate.

My last pet peeve pits me against the world. I absolutely hate cell phones. Not just people on cell phones, but cell phones in general. My school enacted a no electronics policy and kids still carry their cell phones and they teachers knoe they do. The teachers are supposed to take away the phones, but they don't because they are too nice. Kids get everything they want and I'm sick of it. I too am a still a kid, but 75% of the things I want, my parents stop me from getting and I thank them for it eventually. These kids need to know what a house phone is and get one of those. I swear, if I come into a large sum of money legally, then I will develop an EMP that only destroys cell phones and every cell phone on Earth with finally be gone. Also, cell phones make people walk so slow which is my biggest pet peeve.

Austin

Austin
They just always annoy me and they always walk so slow. If people just walked a little faster then I would be okay, but they always have to talk to someone which decreases there speed to slower then a snails pace. I swear, one day I am going to push these people out of the way of a car because they are walking slow and they will try to thank me, but I'll tell them to shut up and walk faster.

Lol, you just reminded of that. I despise people who walk slowly. I also hate people who, while walking in the hallway, see their friends and decide to stop and talk in the middle of a doorway. Seriously, can't you move to the side? Like, is what you have to say so important that you have to stop right where you are and start talking immediately?

blubb

Ash Gala Wonderful!
I'm getting easily upset when driving in my car. I often get angry over lights that just turned red or are always red when I arrive (some of them are just very badly switched). But what is worse than that are drivers in front of me who just won't get going if the lights actually turn green, sometimes causing me to have to wait another period, grr... (what the hell are they waiting for? It won't become any greener). Or drivers in front of me doing 40 km/h on perfectly straight roads where the speed limit is 100 km/h, especially when there's too much oncoming traffic to overtake. But one thing that makes me extremely angry is the following situation: Imagine yourself on a highway without speed limit and with 3 lanes in each direction, and you're doing 180 km/h and then you see three trucks overtaking each other,the right one is doing 70 km/h, the middle one 72 km/h and the left one 74 km/h. I mean can't they wait just a little and leave the left lane free? Do they arrive so much later if they have to drive like 2 km/h slower for a minute and therefore have to block the rest of traffic? The bad thing is that such a constellation doesn't happen too rarely here...

yann

TheBitterDubstepMan
I hate people who deliberately drive slowly, it's almost like they're trying to prove a point to people they don't know! Thank god for multi-lanes or I think I wouldn't be driving anymore.

I dislike it when people think your homosexual just because you play Zelda and they play Call of Duty. I love COD, they just obviously have some deep grudge against Zelda.

I hate it when someone posts or likes something on facebook, then deletes it before you can see what they've written. Not anything I loathe, just a tad annoying haha!

Taxi drivers who MASSIVELY take advantage of you after a night out.
Despicable.

I REALLY dislike Chancellor Alastair Darling's new budget report. Enough said.

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
One of my biggest pet peeves that I forgot to mention is having to work in groups. I have no problem with teamwork as long as the people I'm working with are hard workers and capable of delivering an outstanding final product, but it really, REALLY kills me to get paired up with slackers or morons. That's why I prefer working alone because I always feel like I can do whatever it is I'm doing better than anybody else in my group. I absolutely hate being handicapped by people on a lower skill level than I. Once, back in high school, a guy in my group was so incredibly stupid that I convinced him to stick a paper clip in the electrical sockets attached to our science lab tables. Needless to say, he was out of the group project, and that made obtaining a high grade much easier.

I also thought I might mention that another pet peeve of mine is being stalked by sales people in the dressing room. I mean, I understand that salesmen and women need to attend to customers on the sales floor, but if it's a clothing store and I'm trying stuff on, PLEASE for the love of Pete stop checking on me in the dressing room by constantly knocking on the door and asking if I need anything else. Weeeeeeird. That goes for shoe salesmen and women who constantly want to measure your feet. DON'T TOUCH MY FEET.

And... you know what's another pet peeve? When I see people being cruel to others. It's horrible. I saw this video of the Tea Partiers mocking this incredible man, and it got me into a frenzy. I'm not trying to spark any political debates, I'm just pointing out how cruel those people were to him. I was so frustrated and angry that I kinda raged and kicked some stuff over and started crying. Just thinking about it is making me tear up right now. It's... god, people can be so incredibly cruel to others, and it's not right at all. I hate it. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it.

Claire

The Geekette
I suppose my biggest pet peeve is apathy.

When I hear someone say, "Look at the beautiful stars" and think nothing more than that they are pretty to look at, it does nothing but get on my nerves. There is much more to it than pretty photons, but most people do not even care to know the reality of nature. There are enough who say they care about science, but many of them do not practice what they preach. How can one look up at the sky at night, and not be overcome with curiosity? How can one simply glance and not once consider further observation; to continue analysis for more than a basic understanding of the universe? I mentioned last night in a discussion that most people couldn't differentiate between a meteor, meteorite, or meteoroid. A third grader would laugh until they had a stomach ache to hear of an adult who didn't know there was a difference between these terms.

The universe is. This information is hidden from no one, but all forms of science and mathematics are present and laid out for us, and all it takes is for one person to simply care and be inquisitive about the laws of nature. Persons who lack an initiative, who feel as though even the most simple knowledge in a field of science or mathematics is unimportant, are the characteristics of beings that hinder our development and are nothing more than an annoyance.

The hallways at school are one of the biggest things to get on my nerves. Everytime school ends, a whole crowd starts walking through F(?) hall on both the left and right side. There is barely enough room for any one going against that flow to get by.
Seeing grammatical errors, or too much L337 speak. They normally annoy me or confuse me too much.
My last one would have to be my parents. They barge into my room way too much, and my school bought a license to this site called Oncourse, which allows my parents to see my grades at any time.

Smitie

The Dutch Kusagari
I really hate it when people correct my spelling just to show that I'm a horrible speller or in case of my english spelling, because they think I don't know what the right spelling is because I'm Dutch... My latin teacher used to correct every spelling mistake and wrote down the right version even though it didn't cost any points, but it made my test paper look more red and failing than it should be (although I wasn't the best latin translator to begin with...>.>). I know people mean it well, but it is so annoying to be reminded of your mistakes. I wouldn't be surprised that most of my posts here have spelling mistakes because my firefox uses a Dutch spelling check (which means almost every english word is considered wrong :P), but as long as you can read it that shouldn't be too much of a problem. And some english words are just evil, I still don't know the difference because they look too similar >.<

Anyways, another 'pet peeve' are people that are too late for an appointment, especially if it is for something important like a group project. When I have an appointment at 8 am, I'm there at 7:45 and every minute a person I have to wait for the other person, I'll go more and more insane. I start thinking I had the time or location wrong, that we later agreed to change the date, that I maybe should call the person, but later think I should wait one more minute then I start walking around the building to check if the person is already there but has forgotten to location, in other words I just seriously start losing my mind. You don't have to be as early as me, but just remember that every minute that I have to wait will make me more angry and frustrated.

Last not but least, I really hate people who think their favourite music is so awesome that everybody in their neighbourhood wants to hear it too. I just want to sit in the train staring at the window in peace and I don't need to hear the bass of a song. I don't know if it is because people are so deaf or their ear phones are so bad, but just turn that volume down! I'm not torturing you with orchestrated music, so don't annoy me with those popular songs. The same goes for the people who want to share their phone conversation. I had a guy sitting two rows in front of me who was angry because a meeting was cancelled or something and he started to call like 10 people saying the same rant over and over again -.-. A phone call in the train should not be longer than 5 minutes, otherwise just go sit on the train toilet and stop annoying others with your half of a stupid conversation.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
I get really annoyed by people who constantly say "like". It's not because I think they're being stereotypically stupid or anything (stereotypes are a major pet peeve of mine too), it's just that I can't understand them. Similarly, major spelling, grammar, or capitalization errors on forums or other text-based chatting systems annoy me to no end.

I also have serious problems with people who throw around words like "gay", "********", and other such words in inappropriate derogatory ways. It gets so ridiculous sometimes. In every Spanish class I've ever taken, people laugh at the word "llegue" (which I think means something along the lines of "arrive", my Spanish is rusty) because they think it sounds like "yay-gay". In English, there are passages where the word "gay" is used to mean happy, and I hear people snickering at that. How immature can people get?!

Another odd pet peeve is when people don't capitalize Earth when referring to the planet. I think my Physics textbook refers to our planet as "earth". It annoys me to an irrational level.

I mentioned that I can't stand stereotypes, right? I really can't, even the good ones like "all Asians are smart". I get good grades, really good grades according to peers, and when people catch glances at my grades they always say "oh, it's because you're Asian!" Every time someone says that too me I involuntarily scream inside my head. I have no idea why stereotypes like that get under my skin so much.

One of my biggest pet peeves is the stereotyping of bubbly girls. :< I, myself, am a bubbly girl who said "like" every third word, so I hate it when people think we're dumb. Who'd have thought that being a happy person and talking a certain way would make one dumb? Jeez.
Sorry... :sweat:

To clarify, though, I'm talking more of extremes. Using the word literally every other sentence... and mainly having that attitude but actually being unintelligent. I'm not associating that way of acting with the quality of being unintelligent at all.

I myself use the word "like" pretty often, and am a happy freaking guy. It's extremes and excessive frequency that bug me, but then again those two things bug me in any circumstance usually, so maybe it's not so much those qualities in people themselves. I dunno. >.< Thing is, it doesn't actually bother me all the time. Sometimes it bugs me a little, there was also that one time it made me furious, but other times it doesn't bug me at all. That leads me to believe there's a specific reason, although I couldn't really tell you what it is.

For the record, everything I listed pretty much are petty things. Things that aren't a big deal, that just irk me. Not like there's anything actually wrong with them. ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom