• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Personal fan regression

We live in a time on media where reboots and remakes and adaptations and continuations thrive.

For some fandoms such as Star Wars, Game of Thrones, Transformers, Power Rangers and Sonic, things have gone a bit south.

For Marvel fans, the adaptation of the source material is now.more profitable than the source material itself.

But sometimes it is nice to regress and go back to where we were comfortable, to where we fell in love with our chosen franchises...

How often do you all regress with your franchises?

Has your childhood been so warped by modern media that you feel the need to go back to purer times?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Well Zelda 2006 and before was a franchise I could say I loved. It had three games I didn't enjoy. Two of them because they were too dated (LOZ, AOL) and one because it was pure crap (FSA) but the series had some truly great entries that made up the bulk of the franchise and far outweighed any low points. In the following 13 years nothing great has been added to the canon and theorizing has largely been killed. It was just a better time for Zelda back in 2006. It was a purer franchise now diluted by the torrent of mediocrity that has gushed forth from Nintendo HQ ever since.

I will say HW could have been a great entry but it's not even part of the series unfortunately.

Feel free to use what pronouns you want. I use both sexed pronoun sets interchangeably.
I do this on occasion on Harvest Moon, but as of late even that is difficult with Stardew Valley around.

In any case, I need to go back and replay some old games, just... time issues, ya know?

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I suppose I'm like this with The Simpsons. The first eight seasons are, to this day, the funniest thing ever produced by man. Nothing even compares to how good The Simpsons was. Nothing has ever come close. Season 9 was a big dip in quality, both in terms of humour and general writing, but it was still good. Seasons ten and eleven continued this downward slide, but they just about manage to scrape a 'worth a watch'. If The Simpsons had ended there things would have been fine.

The Simpsons just recently finished season thirty, with two more confirmed for the future. The occasional joke is still funny, but the show has been cringe-inducingly bad for just about twenty goddamn years at this point. I can't remember the last time I heard anyone say they liked The Simpsons without clarifying that they are specifically talking about the early years. All of those words and phrases from the show that have actually been added to the English language all come from the first eleven seasons. All the memes, all the endless quotes, all from the first eleven seasons. Everything after that may as well not exist. So I try to pretend it doesn't.

I have the first eight seasons on DVD and I watch them pretty often. I follow Simpsons quote accounts on Twitter, which specify that they only quote episodes from, take a guess, the first eleven seasons. They were a better time, plain and simple. A purer time when there weren't headlines about eight-year-old Lisa being a polyamorous pansexual, there weren't """comedians""" with no career trying to get famous by claiming Apu is racist, and when crossovers were something the producers disagreed and butted heads over rather than actively sought out. It was when celebrities either played actual characters in the show, like Dustin Hoffman's Mr Bergstrom or Michael Jackson's Leon Kompowsky, or were good-naturedly made the subject of humour, like Hugh Heffner or The Smashing Pumpkins, instead of today when celebrities play themselves in episodes fawningly written around them so their star power can cynically be used to draw an audience. It was when the show had the sincerity to make you cry. The ending to 'Mother Simpson', Ned and Homer's conversation before the climax of 'When Flanders Failed', 'Lisa's First Word', 'And Maggie Makes Three', Homer breaking as his son cries in 'Radio Bart'. The Simpsons has lost that. it is, memes aside, soulless. So I take refuge in the golden days, when The Simpsons was so good that it still make me laugh harder than anything since, and try to forget what it's become.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Oh boy I do this with Zelda all the time!!!! Don't get me wrong, I still LOVE the franchise but the last couple of games (I love BotW to death but HW has my heart though) it hasn't been what it used to be. So I listen to soundtracks of "old" zelda titles. I keep them in my heart like being insane but damn I love it! I love those memories and keep them alive at all cost!

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
I mean, you can always go back and enjoy a thing and just ignore all the cynical unmitigated garbo that got churned out afterwards. It's usually easy enough to compartmentalize episodic stories so that the parts you don't like don't affect the parts you do.

The exception to this, of course, is with endings. People naturally expect a satisfying conclusion to an ongoing story they've invested a portion of their time and attention and money in to and are going to feel slighted when the follow through doesn't deliver.

We're experiencing this now with GoT and Mass Effect 3 was a notable prior example. With stories where the entire pay off is in the conclusion, the conclusion has to work. Both instances ignored central themes of each narrative and disregarded character development for plot developments that made so little sense they might as well have been written for another story. It retroactively renders the entire experience and everyone's investment moot.

From there, the only recourse for fans is to play an alternative ending out in their heads. This can be a shared experience, with fans collectively discussing and formulating a more sensible ending together. But it effectively cuts the material's creators out of the loop. Although at that point, they're the ones who screwed up so doing that is just removing the problem. Of course, there's considerable debate on what the "true" ending can be at that point. And if everyone's coming up with their own ending in their heads it ceases to be a shared experience which is something many people appreciate - if even subconsciously - about a work of fiction and deprives it of that.

I will deride Suckward Sword with my dying breath if it suits me - not the least reason being that it butts in and screws up established lore and character development - but I can easily pretend it never happened that way.

The problem there is that other people will not. Zelda fan theories now incorporate the slop introduced in Suckward. Now I, as a fan, have to put up with that from other fans. I can't so easily ignore it. I find myself glossing over anybody's mention of Suckward in any post on this site just because I can't stomach so much as acknowledging Suckward's existence. And that is unfortunate because the words of my fellow fans hold weight and that's now a point of personal conflict for me.

That's just one example. Bad later entries in popular franchises have more detrimental effect on the fan community than on the fiction itself more often than not. An individual fan can ignore the introduction of midicloreans into the Star Wars fiction, but that isn't going to stop every other fan from mentioning them. Suddenly a community is split because some of them refuse to be on the same page and numerous conflicts have been known to arise from that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom