• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

People who take things too seriously

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
You know the type. You want to casually talk or make a joke about something and they either get super technical or righteous about it when it's not called for. You know, the people who are real fun at parties.

I personally just don't know how to talk to those people. I feel like in a decade they'll actually call the number on the back to say they're not satisfied with the product (and for company). What do you guys feel about people who turn every smile upside down? Or if you do find yourself to be one of these people who brings every conversation to at times an unnecessary level of intellect, what propels you to feel you must ruin everyone's fun?

Btw. No. This is not aimed at anyone in particular, it's just something I was thinking about today (and how I can deal with them without cattiness). Relax.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I just don't hang around with those types of people, simple as, I wouldn't get along with them. I have no inherent disliking of anyone like that, people have differences in humour and things they enjoy, everyone's allowed to have that, but the few people I know who are always serious just tend to grate on me a lot. Plus, it tends to be a superiority thing, which is the extremely annoying part; often it's proving how much they know, or pointing out you're wrong, even if you're really not and just joking or slip of the tongue. So screw them, they can ruin somebody else's time!

onebizarrekai

gay energy
Whether it be making people laugh or laughing myself, laughing is like 90% of my life, so those kinds of people aren't really the kinds I want to hang out with, I would just end up depressed or something

Dan

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with these "types" of people you describe. These "types" most likely have a humor quite different from the norm.
I know some people that rarely joke around and much prefer to get into intellectual conversations rather than fool around every so often, and that's totally fine. The solution is simply to accept and have tolerance for one another, that goes for both sides.
Naturally our characteristics are going to clash with one anothers, and it's up to us to learn more about each other and actually communicate to find some ground we can both walk on.

If on the other hand someone is being intentionally malicious then it shouldn't really matter what type of person I categorise them too, I'll just keep calm and carry on.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Unfortunately, I'm surrounded by people like that. At home, at work, even just around town. And my overly sarcastic personality doesn't like it when I interact with these people. As such, when I'm around very literal and eloquent people, I tend to just keep to myself, both for my own sake and for theirs.

You do nothing and just move on.
They are not the type of person suited for you. And you are not the type of person suited for them. Each group here is more suited to people in their own group. Neither is wrong.

Salem

SICK
I'm sorry, I don't understand what types of people you're talking about. Do you mean for example if you ask them to bring a ladder they'll tell you there's no ladder only step-ladder and their pedantic about it?

Why is this a problem exactly? Some people choose to be more serious about anything and not joke a lot. It's just a personal choice, so there's no need to ignore them because of it. Hell, I'm a person that takes things too seriously anymore, so whenever I see someone act like a complete fool or something, I tell them to stop acting like one. Sorry, but people who do take things too seriously isn't a bad thing. Joking around all the time is, though.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I feel like there's two sides to this. If people are laughing and joking around and having a good time, and someone brings the mood down because they don't like jokes, then yeah that can be a real downer. If on the other hand you are your buddies are having a laugh about something effed up and someone calls you out on it and you're all like "stupid fun police" then no they should be calling you out on your crap. So honestly it really depends on the context of the situation, but I can totally see both sides to this.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I agree with Azure. It depends on the person though. I used to work with somone who wasn't fun to be around. She disliked everything. Even fish swimming in a bowl were more fun to watch. This person not only was extremely serious but she was a very nasty person in reality so I'm not just placing judgement because I know what I'm talking about. I worked with her for 6 years and it was abolutely no fun. These kinda people like her are definitely NOT welcome in my home. There are also people who take everything serious but do have a sense of humor. Like Dan said it's different than ours but still fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom