• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

PDA in Schools

Dio

~ ZD's Pug Dealer ~
If i didn't like looking at two students making out or showing affection I would have told them to 'get a damn room', and probably flicked an elastic band at them for good measure, if students do display affection publicly then they just accept this is going to happen. There is no need to put pointless rules in place which will only be broken anyway.
I always had the decency to bang girls in the stationary cupboard so others did not have to watch it and to avoid getting a band flicked at me by someone.

Fig

The Altruist
"Just because you can do it doesn't make it a good idea." It's naturally gonna make some people uncomfortable. PDA is typically gonna bother some people because a lot of people don't like to watch other people make out around them. (Note that when I say "PDA" I'm only concerned with the big stuff, like making out. Small things like holding hands don't even count as PDA in my opinion.) Think about it this way; a guy is walking around a park babbling to himself about aliens. That's obviously going to make other people concerned or bothered. I put that on the same level as making out in public. It's something that he's doing in his own private space, not involving other people, yet it would still bother some people. I think it's a sufficient analogy.

To those who would say "You don't have to watch them!", well, yes, you're right, but you're obviously going to notice them. You don't have to STARE at them but you can't change the fact that you saw them and that it made you uncomfortable. I don't consider it a good argument.

As to whether it should be allowed or not, I'd say no. People should at least have the decency to treat their peers with respect and not do things like that in public. But, alas, some don't, and that's why we need rules. I would say it'd have a negative effect on the school environment. If two people started making out in the classroom, that would obviously become a distraction. Yes, you don't have to watch them, as I covered earlier, but you can't ignore the fact that you're going to notice them or hear them and it's gonna distract you. Plus, it's just downright disrespectful.

I just boil this down to common sense; Why on Earth would you make out with someone in front of other people? Seriously. Why.
You can't really put that scenario in the same level as PDA simply because going it is going to make others concerned or bothered. It's like saying you see someone play a video game in public even read manga. People in general will be bothered by something they are not a part of. There have been times where people have come up to me during after school hours just because they saw me with my DS/3DS. They told me that they were concerned that I was playing a video game as if it was unheard to do such a thing. They asked me why I wasn't doing things such as playing a sport, reading a book, etc. I simply told them that I just enjoy video games and that even the school rules stated that I can use my electronic after school since there are no classes going on during that time. That said, they were disgusted that wasn't bothersome in general, but it was because they weren't gamers themselves. Just because it can cause concern from people doesn't make at the same level as PDA. Playing a video game, reading manga, talking about fandoms, talking about aliens, all these things are not bothersome in no way, except to those that are not a part of it. These topics and activities to some degree are not universal because not everyone is going to understand the concept in the first place. Some people just prefer sports, some prefer video games. Some prefer to novels, and some prefer manga. Other rather watch film and television shows, others rather watch anime and cartoons. All of these are to some degree not universal, but PDA is simply because everyone knows what it is.

Simply put, you don't have to watch them make out as you are not obligated to. I'm sorry but I don't see how just because it is a distraction means it should not be allowed. Most people dislike it when a person taps a pencil against a desk. I'm that person who has that habit of tapping pencils. Just because it might be a distraction doesn't mean it shouldn't be allowed. Some people dislike music being played, should music not be allowed then simply because it is a distraction? These are all hypothetical questions by the way.

As for should PDA be allowed? I'm going to have to say yes. Yes people in general should have some decency, but everyone has different levels of what is consider decent to them. That said, I personally believe that no matter what I should show my respect by simply not glaring at them or paying attention to them. They are not harming anyone it would be terrible for me to go up to a couple and say "Hey you are being indecent around me and you shouldn't be doing that when I'm around" or anything to those lines. Most of the time, I will move away so that they can have their special moment because it's not like I own a specific section of the a public place simply because I'm there. My first point for this is because under no means will me noticing a couple make me out for the split-second that I witness make my life severely different. I'll still fall under the same religion, I'll still have my friends and family, my interests will be retained, and everything about me is controlled by me only, I would probably just be disgusted at most if I did witness a couple showing some intimacy. Second, sometimes in life, the only time a couple can meet up is through public institutions. I know people who have very strict parents who won't allow them to go anywhere, even if the environment is a calm one in general, such as a movie. Sometimes school is the only place that two people can meet and if they want to get personal, why not let them? It's the least that I as a human can give them. Would I rather for them to find a more private location? Absolutely, but I just don't see how simply being a public distraction shouldn't be allowed in a public area. Yes there is a time and place when and when not to PDA but I don't see how making out near the lockers is bad. Now if the PDA was done in say during the middle of a movie or concert, than yea it shouldn't be allowed as everyone else is trying to enjoy the movie or film, but as I stated before I don't see why PDA should not be allowed simply because it is a distraction to others within the nearby environement.

Last edited:
I know people who have very strict parents who won't allow them to go anywhere, even if the environment is a calm one in general, such as a movie. Sometimes school is the only place that two people can meet and if they want to get personal, why not let them?
(i dont know if i did the quote marks right) I'm an example of that. But just because we only saw each other at school did not give us permission to get all hot and heavy.

Mellow Ezlo

Po-Tay-Toes
Forum Volunteer
What is honestly wrong with a little bit of PDA in the school hallways? If two people want to show their affection for one another, they should be allowed to. People shouldn't be forced to isolate themselves in a private place just to kiss eachother, because that's just stupid imo. What's wrong with a kiss goodbye as you're seeing your BF/GF off for class? Being unable to publicly express your love for one another isn't healthy for a relationship because it doesn't allow the couple to become comfortable around other people.

I'm not saying it's good for a couple to go making out in the classroom, because that's wrong, but in the hallway? Why not! Go for it. It's not like it'll be a distraction from... walking to class? If it bothers you, simply look away. And, I mean, they don't have to full on make out in order for it to be considered PDA. Simply kissing each other is PDA, but is not the same as making out. Honestly, a little PDA at school is harmless.

Fig

The Altruist
(i dont know if i did the quote marks right) I'm an example of that. But just because we only saw each other at school did not give us permission to get all hot and heavy.
I'm not saying that just because you see each other at school doesn't mean you have to show PDA right on the spot, I'm saying that sometimes school is the only place for a couple to do PDA. I am by no means advocating that just because are in school means that every time you meet with your lover that you two should make out because in places such as the classroom, library, and even cafeteria it wouldn't be right since there's numerous people within the environment but in a hallway or perhaps a more private area of the campus is better suited for PDA. Again, I'm not saying that a couple should make out all the time they see each other during school, but I am saying that sometimes school is the only place to show your affection to your special someone.

Clank

Hmm
Honestly, this is something that I think should be decided at the school management level. I mean if the people on the school board find that this is inappropriate, then I think they should ban it, if they don't mind it, then let it go.

As far as I personally care, I actually don't mind if they allow it, as it shows me who to stay away from. Sure it's distracting, but if they want to allow people to show who they really are in public, then who am I to stop them?

Akuhime-sama

What's Life Without Adult Humor?
Well, I'm not sure people use PDAs anymore(now they have tablets, iPhones, and other such devices), but why wouldn't they be allowed?
They could help you manage your time. Perfect example- Tucker from Danny Phantom.

In all seriousness though, I don't think I really have an opinion.
I mean, I personally don't mind seeing it and I think people should do what they want, but I don't know why anyone would want to display that behavior publicly. I've always thought that was something more- intimate- and should be kept privately, or only around small groups of people. But, I guess I can't speak for everyone.
Though, I don't think it should be BANNED, that's just ridiculous. But I also think that couples should take into consideration the people around them. Just as more of a common courtesy kind of thing.

Again, I'm not saying that a couple should make out all the time they see each other during school, but I am saying that sometimes school is the only place to show your affection to your special someone.
I know what you mean, i just didnt explain myself properly, i apologize. I was never allowed to see my boyfriend (now ex) after school so the time that we saw each other in school, we made the best of it, holding hands and a kiss before our classes. It was the only way we could show each other our affection, but my problem is with the couples that are hanging out in the halls for like 5 minutes and being late to class. That is a disruption to the class when someone walks in late. Its not a huge one but still noticable to the classroom. That i dont approve of. Besides school is for learning, its not a place for picking out dates and such, but stuff happens and it cant be helped.

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
To those who would say "You don't have to watch them!", well, yes, you're right, but you're obviously going to notice them. You don't have to STARE at them but you can't change the fact that you saw them and that it made you uncomfortable.
I see people kissing and I don't feel uncomfortable. I think people kissing is a sign of love. So I notice it and move on with my day, just as comfortable as I was before.

As to whether it should be allowed or not, I'd say no. People should at least have the decency to treat their peers with respect and not do things like that in public. But, alas, some don't, and that's why we need rules. I would say it'd have a negative effect on the school environment. If two people started making out in the classroom, that would obviously become a distraction. Yes, you don't have to watch them, as I covered earlier, but you can't ignore the fact that you're going to notice them or hear them and it's gonna distract you. Plus, it's just downright disrespectful.
I made out in classrooms before. Never during a lesson or while the teacher was talking. That would be rude. But on days where I've finished work and the teacher has allowed us to socialize, why not?

I just boil this down to common sense; Why on Earth would you make out with someone in front of other people? Seriously. Why.
It's not that I want to make out in front of other people. But I do like to kiss my partner to show affection. Maybe we were at the mall she just bought me something cause she knew I wanted it and liked it and to show how much it means to me, I give her an affectionate kiss that lasts a few seconds. There is nothing wrong with that. Now say she brought the gift to school to give to me there. I do the same thing. I'm not kissing caring about other people. I could give 0 ****s about who sees. I care that she cares for me and so I care for her and show that affection back. I'm sorry you've never had this experience.

This is a very basic thing and if you try to suppress it in schools you will just fail and distance yourself from the students. It would bring a more human feeling to the school, instead of seeing drones everywhere hardly talking to the opposite sex (or same sex, in a warm way). Schools aren't purely educating kids in calculus, biology, and history, but also an environment for emotional development and growth. It is very important to have an open environment so that the students can feel somewhat at home and not like they are in some camp with strict rules and one goal. If you ban PDA then might as well prevent people from smiling, laughing, crying, being angry... etc. Make a school without emotions.

It also doesn't hurt anyone, if you don't like looking at two students kissing, hugging, smiling at each other, then for the love of god look somewhere else. Now obviously, this shouldn't be so free that students can start passionately kissing each other in the middle of class, just like they shouldn't be able to start talking and laughing about random things during class. But under lunch break, on school grounds, go for it.
This kinda basically sums it up for me here. School is where students develop. PDA happens, and if people can't get over that, geez...I'm not sure how they'll make it in life.

Honestly, this is something that I think should be decided at the school management level. I mean if the people on the school board find that this is inappropriate, then I think they should ban it, if they don't mind it, then let it go.
And this one finally. My school has no PDA as a policy. Essentially it meant "If you kiss in front of a teacher or AP who cared, they'd ask you to stop. Otherwise, nobody gives a ****"

That's also kinda basically how life is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom