• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

PDA in Schools

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
We all know what PDA is because we all went to school. I'm not gonna spend time explaining it. What is your opinion on PDA in schools? Should it be allowed? What sort of effects could this have on the social environment as a whole, and in the school itself?

Azure Sage

Spread Smiles!
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
"Just because you can do it doesn't make it a good idea." It's naturally gonna make some people uncomfortable. PDA is typically gonna bother some people because a lot of people don't like to watch other people make out around them. (Note that when I say "PDA" I'm only concerned with the big stuff, like making out. Small things like holding hands don't even count as PDA in my opinion.) Think about it this way; a guy is walking around a park babbling to himself about aliens. That's obviously going to make other people concerned or bothered. I put that on the same level as making out in public. It's something that he's doing in his own private space, not involving other people, yet it would still bother some people. I think it's a sufficient analogy.

To those who would say "You don't have to watch them!", well, yes, you're right, but you're obviously going to notice them. You don't have to STARE at them but you can't change the fact that you saw them and that it made you uncomfortable. I don't consider it a good argument.

As to whether it should be allowed or not, I'd say no. People should at least have the decency to treat their peers with respect and not do things like that in public. But, alas, some don't, and that's why we need rules. I would say it'd have a negative effect on the school environment. If two people started making out in the classroom, that would obviously become a distraction. Yes, you don't have to watch them, as I covered earlier, but you can't ignore the fact that you're going to notice them or hear them and it's gonna distract you. Plus, it's just downright disrespectful.

I just boil this down to common sense; Why on Earth would you make out with someone in front of other people? Seriously. Why.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
This is a very basic thing and if you try to suppress it in schools you will just fail and distance yourself from the students. It would bring a more human feeling to the school, instead of seeing drones everywhere hardly talking to the opposite sex (or same sex, in a warm way). Schools aren't purely educating kids in calculus, biology, and history, but also an environment for emotional development and growth. It is very important to have an open environment so that the students can feel somewhat at home and not like they are in some camp with strict rules and one goal. If you ban PDA then might as well prevent people from smiling, laughing, crying, being angry... etc. Make a school without emotions.

It also doesn't hurt anyone, if you don't like looking at two students kissing, hugging, smiling at each other, then for the love of god look somewhere else. Now obviously, this shouldn't be so free that students can start passionately kissing each other in the middle of class, just like they shouldn't be able to start talking and laughing about random things during class. But under lunch break, on school grounds, go for it.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I used to have sex in the stairways during classes, anyone walked by they were free to stare all they wanted.

On topic, I agree with Zorth in that you can just look away. People complain way too much about things that they can solve themselves very easily. I didn't used to like seeing 2 people going to town on eachother's faces and so I didn't look... Simple. It doesn't harm anybody and there's nothing forcing me to see it, so I have no real opinion about it because I didn't spend much of my school time watching it.

Azure Sage

Spread Smiles!
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
On topic, I agree with Zorth in that you can just look away. People complain way too much about things that they can solve themselves very easily. I didn't used to like seeing 2 people going to town on eachother's faces and so I didn't look... Simple. It doesn't harm anybody and there's nothing forcing me to see it, so I have no real opinion about it because I didn't spend much of my school time watching it.
The thing about that is, you're still noticing it. It'll still be a distraction. Yeah, you can look away, you don't have to stare, but that doesn't change the fact that you saw it and that it distracted you.

The thing about that is, you're still noticing it. It'll still be a distraction. Yeah, you can look away, you don't have to stare, but that doesn't change the fact that you saw it and that it distracted you.
You say distracting you as if it's a bad thing. Were people making out in class where you went to school? Or does walking down the hallway require more concentration than I remember?

Zorth

#Scoundrel
This obviously seems to be more of a problem with other people showing PDA in general for you, so don't understand why limit it on school grounds because of one person instead of learning methods to not care and to not get distracted so easily?

Azure Sage

Spread Smiles!
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
You say distracting you as if it's a bad thing. Were people making out in class where you went to school? Or does walking down the hallway require more concentration than I remember?
Okay, good point. Let me rephrase and replace the word "distracting" with "uncomfortable". Yes, I saw people make out in the halls in school before. And it made me uncomfortable. I will take a line from my previous post:

I just boil this down to common sense; Why on Earth would you make out with someone in front of other people? Seriously. Why.
This obviously seems to be more of a problem with other people showing PDA in general for you, so don't understand why limit it on school grounds because of one person instead of learning methods to not care and to not get distracted so easily?
Hmm, maybe. I do think there are others who would be made uncomfortable by it, though. I doubt I'm the only one who finds it uncomfortable.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
Okay, good point. Let me rephrase and replace the word "distracting" with "uncomfortable". Yes, I saw people make out in the halls in school before. And it made me uncomfortable. I will take a line from my previous post:
Because if somebody cared enough to try and make everyone comfortable, living their life for others, they would explode. Like a balloon. That is why we do stuff without thought of what others might think and/or say of it.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Speak for yourself. I may notice it but I don't get bothered by it; I notice 2 people kissing just as much as I notice a man walk past me with a brown coat, or a girl walk past me with pink bag. I might notice these things but I don't keep looking at them, nor do I remember/care about what I just noticed. It effects me to literally no degree. And if two people love eachother and want to express that love by kissing, in a public space, then more power to them. I don't personally have, nor see, any problem with that.

Azure Sage

Spread Smiles!
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Because if somebody cared enough to try and make everyone comfortable, living their life for others, they would explode. Like a balloon. That is why we do stuff without thought of what others might think and/or say of it.
As I also said in my earlier post, I think people should at least try to have a little decency in public. Though I will admit people's ideas of "decency" can differ.

Speak for yourself. I may notice it but I don't get bothered by it; I notice 2 people kissing just as much as I notice a man walk past me with a brown coat, or a girl walk past me with pink bag. I might notice these things but I don't keep looking at them, nor do I remember/care about what I just noticed. It effects me to literally no degree. And if two people love eachother and want to express that love by kissing, in a public space, then more power to them. I don't personally have, nor see, any problem with that.
What I said in response to Zorth also applies to this. Different ideas of what's decent and/or respectful to do in public, I guess.

I think PDA would be okay but monitored by adults. Let them make out and grope each other in front of their peers but how would they like it if the teachers were watching? Would they just start making out in front of their parents? If they did, they have some guts, wow. How is school any different? I was raised to show respect to teachers (bordering on fear, thanks mom) and to do that in front of them makes me skin crawl and i would not have the guts to do it.

High school is a time where hormones and feelings are all crazy and, yes, things happen. But banning it wont stop kids from doing it. Adds to the fun of it, risking to be caught. There was a teacher that had a class by the stairwell and after every class period she would stand in the hallway by the stairs cause couples try to get cutsy on their way to class. One time, when i was dating my ex, he would walk me to class and give me a kiss. Well one day she caught us and you know what she did? She serenaded us. Loudly. And then everyone in the hall turned and looked and it was quite embarrassing but, by god, we stopped kissing in front of people.

octorok74

TETTAC
In my highschool when that happened, you were allowed to throw paper balls at them. And that's how I think it should be handled. People want to make out in school, throw some paper balls at them or shoot rubber bands. That will teach them. And it's fun to throw stuff at people. I personally don't have a proble with PDA, but oh well.

Sidenote, it took me a long time to figure out what you all were talking. I'm out of it right now.

43ForceGems

Quid est veritas, Claudia
I guess like most things, there are times it'd be ok and times it wouldn't. I mean if you're like in a fancy restaurant, laying on the table, making out, that's... Idk that's just not the right place, right? At school, against the wall in a hallway, I guess what's the big deal? It might make some people uncomfortable, but lots of things make lots of people uncomfortable, sometimes we have to deal with things, because if they want to make out and they have to time and they don't care and not in the way, I don't really see a problem with it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom