• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Pay by Cash or Card?

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
What is your preferred payment method when shopping at physical stores?

In Japan I exclusively use cash because it is a pretty cash based culture (with the exception of sometimes using my IC Suica Transport Card when I am low on cash). Back in Australia I always would rather use my card so I don't have to carry around too much cash and I can better track exactly where my money was being spent. It is more difficult to budget in cash in my experience as I tend to spend money more recklessly when it isn't tracked.

Reactions: Dio

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Honestly it's kinda dependant if it's a place i know really well i'll use my card but otherwise it's strictly cash, i don't trust people and these days it's all to easy to hoik card details via tiny ass devices in bags or pockets, yeah it's a bit paranoid but it also serves a 2nd purpose, if i don't know the prices i'd rather carry cash cuz with the card you don't generally know the price til you get the receipt.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I remember how cash based Japan is which was strange. Back then I was almost exclusively a card user.

Today I take mainly cash payments for my business so I actually keep some for spending and use it more often than I used to. Though I still use card and PayPal payments a lot as I mostly shop online.

Card all the way. But it really depends on the country you are living in. As @Vanessa28 mentions in the Netherlands most shops actually prefer card (because of low transaction costs of maestro i.r.t credit cards, which aren't really a thing here). With nfc payments I also use card way more often for small payments.
Cross only one border to Germany and you get in real trouble when you do not have cash on you.

@Jirohnagi if you are talking about nfc readers being used by criminals: This is almost a non-issue given the strict conditions you need to meet when acquiring a payment device.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
Generally I tend to use card more, typically by Apple Pay as it’s convenient. However I try to use cash more because I find it easier to keep track of how much I’m actually spending that way and try to have a little cash on me. Usually I get tipped in coins so I usually have some shrapnel to get me by for random small purchases like if I want to buy a bottle of water or a coffee something while out and about

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Card. I rarely carry cash, and if I do it's only a little bit and/or for a specific purpose. Not only is a card far more convenient, it's also easier to track and much safer for someone who has a tendency to lose things since a lost card can easily be canceled through one quick phone call the moment you realize it's gone. Cash, if lost, is gone forever.

Ninja

Well well well
Best of both worlds, a debit card. It uses actual cash from your checking account, and has all the same consumer protections as a visa credit card.

We don’t believe in consumer debt so we have no credit cards whatsoever.

Side note, I do enjoy using Apple Pay on my watch, but it’s still tied to my debit card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom