• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

passwords shhhh keep a secret...

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I used to sometimes write passwords down in a notebook, but not anymore. I just have some new passwords I create every now and then that are all similar in ways, but different in others, and I don't forget them luckily. If I'm bad about changing a password for something I will make sure that I atleast set up 2 factor authentication for the account.

I have about 10 passwords that I cycle through. I should probably be better about updating my passwords. I usually introduce a new one into the mix every year or so and then retire one of my old ones. My ZD password is actually one of my oldest passwords, and I don't use that password anywhere else, so I suppose my account here is pretty secure. I also make use of two factor authentication when it's available as an additional safety net.

I have a couple of strings that I use for passwords, which I combine, mix and match. Each string has its own set of variations. So some passwords using the same strings will still be different and stuff. It kind of makes them easier to learn because the muscle memory for parts of the password is always there, it's just a matter of getting used to them in that order.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
I cycle through at least 10 passwords and they're all paleontologically themed.

That said though, here's this chart, so you can update your passwords to be harder for a hacker to brute force them.

1664049741384.png

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
two factor authentication seems scary because I've seen a few friends who got locked out their accounts due to some misfortunes (ie phone broke/got stolen, email service stopped operating, etc)
This does concern me a bit but I am pretty careful and have it set up on multiple devices where possible so that if one gets damaged or lost the other will still work.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I'M NOT TELLING YOU THAT MY PASSWORD IS MY BIRTHDAY!!!

I used to have one for everything but lately I leave it to the password manager to choose a strong one for me and I also use two factor authentication on some accounts

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom