• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Parts for a Computer Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

tysonrss

Keyblade Master
Judging from that machine I'd say you're gonna have to get a PSu that is over 500-600w which isn't going to come cheap.

Austin

Austin
Judging from that machine I'd say you're gonna have to get a PSu that is over 500-600w which isn't going to come cheap.

I'd say closer to about 700w and that's around $80-90. Not strictly more than any other system component.

Well, it's not like you need an OctoCore processor. Those things are a ridiculous waste of money. There is not a SINGLE game out there that benefits from more than a QuadCore.

This too. A quad-core is more than enough for most games, and even a processor like an i7 is a bit too much for gaming. A decent i5 is all you really need to avoid any bottle-necking with today's games.

tysonrss

Keyblade Master
I'd say closer to about 700w and that's around $80-90. Not strictly more than any other system component.

It needs to be a good brand of PSu that won't flop on him when he's cracking up too much power. I don't know the good ones though so he'll have to google. I know he should stay away from Bentec.

Austin

Austin
Antec is a good brand, and their EarthWatts line is good as well. On Newegg a 750w Antec EarthWatts is $99.99. Not too bad.

If your budget is $2000, you should go with a better graphics card than the HD 7870. Go for at least a HD 7950 or a GTX 670.

Remember, gaming performance is 70% GPU, 30% CPU.

Kazumi

chagy
Intel Core i5-3570K, Sapphire Radeon HD 7970, Corsair 500R Black - System Build - PCPartPicker

This is a fast build that I just put together, and it will get you top-of-the-line performance while still being way, way underneath your budget. That gives you plenty of room to buy a couple nice monitors and a solid mechanical keyboard if you want.

In the even that you want to shave some of the price off, you can get rid of the SSD and move that 7970 down to a 7950. You could also add more RAM if you do video editing/rendering or something, but as of right now 8GB is plenty.

Also consider the AMD FX 8350 as a CPU. It's an unlocked 8-core clocked at 4 GHz. Sure, the reviews haven't been all that positive, but it only costs about $200 and can easily outperform a Core i5.

That is overkill. 6-core+ are completely unnecessary if you don't do intense video rendering. If you're just going to be playing games and doing day-to-day tasks, a quad core at good GHz is definitely enough. I know he has a huge budget but that's just a waste of money.

It costs just over $200. That's the same price as a mid-grade Core i5. However, the FX 8350, in terms of benchmarks, is at the same level as a low-end Core i7. 8 cores may be overkill, but a clock frequency of 4 GHz will definitely help when gaming.

Since it's unlocked, you can install a good cooler and easily overclock past 4.5 GHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom