• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Parrying in Zelda

TwilightDeku

Sage of the Dark Forest
After completing Skyward Sword, I concluded that I was very pleased about the motion controls. Back in the LoZ, we could only do a foward slash. In OoT we had more sword strikes that we could do depending on what buttons we held down. In TP we had to shake the Wii remote. Finally, in SS we got to slash our sword however we wanted.

However, the one thing that I found quite weird in SS was that the enemies blocked your blows with their sword. When I tried raising my sword at the right angle to parry a Bokoblin's strike, its sword went right through mine and hit me.

If we still have motion controls in the next Zelda game, I would like to see parrying. Parrying is a sword fighting move in which you block the enemies sword strike with your own sword. This way you could have an epic boss battle where you could not use a shield and the boss would be swinging like crazy with his or her sword. You would have to raise your sword at just the right angle in order to block the strikes.

Adding parrying would give Zelda a much more realistic* and RPG feel to it. Would you like to see parring in the next Zelda game? How would you like to see it used?

*User:TheBlueReptile is not allowed to comment about me comparing Zelda to the real world. Understand?[/I]

TheRationalDove

Red Hair Wonder
Parrying would definetly give a more realistic feel to the game,especially if they make shields viable to breaking like they did in Skyward Sword. I always found swordplay a lot of fun and challenging to try and catch your opponent off guard.

You know I never really thought about this in my 2 playthroughs of SS, but it really is an interesting idea. I wonder if at any point they tried to implement this but didn't for some reason or another. It would another whole layer of depth to the combat system, and I would also love to see this implemented. Gonna go and play some SS to see how this might affect cobat! Nice idea!

I think that it would be a good idea for putting in a game. It would make it more challenging and complicated which is always good. It would also be cool because like you said boss battles could be more intricate.

TrueChaos

Defender of Hyrule
there did seem to be a few times where they were able to bloke you at the last minute so would have been nice to have an added parry in those occasions, similar to what they did in WW

L

Lord of Storms

I concur. Parrying would make boss battles so much more epic, but I would beg them to keep some bosses like the classic Dodongo in OoT, making it consume bombs in order to attack it.

I love this idea. I never tried parrying in my playthrough of SS, but if Nintendo is going toward more realistic motions for future Wii games, then this would definitely be a step in the right direction. Perhaps there should be other combo attacks that could only be performed after a successful parry (similar to the parry attacks in Wind Waker). Either way, awesome idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom