• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Parasomnia: sleep walking and talking

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
There are plenty of dreams threads floating around and it's been roughly ten thousand years since I last made a thread so here goes.

Parasomnia is the word used for abnormal sleep behaviour. Nightmares and sleep terrors are an example of that but there are also sleep walking and sleep talking. Do you sleep walk or talk, or know somebody who does, and do you have any funny stories or general experiences related to this?

I always used to talk in my sleep and I thought it had stopped but I recently found out that I actually still do it and not only that, but I will answer questions in my sleep if asked. E.g. I burst out with "crows are not my favorite animal!" in my sleep and was asked in return why not and what my favourite animal was, and I answered these questions. Apparently I also said "I'm not very good at it" in my sleep and my mum asked me what I was talking about but I didn't answer that time.

Now for sleepwalking. Back when I was taking antidepressants I started to sleepwalk for the first time in my life. I never really did anything, usually just walked around my room, but one time I unscrewed my lightbulb. I woke up with it on my pillow next to me and no idea how it got there. I don't sleepwalk as often anymore but I did get up once in my sleep and got out of bed recently and I have no memory of this.

I also know a girl who in her sleep took her top off and tried to flush it down the toilet!

Okay now your turn :)

Reactions: Dio

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Well you'll be delighted to know the world of thread making hasn't changed much since you were last in the game.

I have sleepwalked on one occasion that I know of. It was many years ago now. I walked upstairs to urinate in the potpourri bowl and I succeeded. My father woke me during the act so I just remember awakening mid piss with my pyjama bottoms down my ankles.

I was sleeping in my sisters room a few years back as mine was unable to be used. I was moaning in my sleep apparently 'Scarecrow...scarecrow'

I don't sleepwalk, but I ocassionally wake up on the wrong side of the bed, with my feet on my pillows, if that counts.

Had night terrors as a kid. Still remember them vividly - I was aware enough to remember them, but I was sorta trapped in a nightmarish dream state where I imagined real objects suffocating and oppressing me in my bed.

I also sleeptalk fairly often. Now that I'm married my wife says I sometimes shoot up in bed and say something nonsensical, then go back to sleep.

Related to night terrors, even today I sometimes wake up, conscious but still in a dream state, and think I'm seeing dark shadowy figures in the room, bugs in my bed, my dog lying on the floor (he doesn't have access to the bedroom), etc.

I might be crazy

Sounds like sleep paralysis, a phenomenon that occurs when you snap out of dreaming but the hormones that prevent you from actually acting out your dreams keep your body paralysed, which produces effects like this.

Beauts

Had night terrors as a kid. Still remember them vividly - I was aware enough to remember them, but I was sorta trapped in a nightmarish dream state where I imagined real objects suffocating and oppressing me in my bed.

I also sleeptalk fairly often. Now that I'm married my wife says I sometimes shoot up in bed and say something nonsensical, then go back to sleep.

Related to night terrors, even today I sometimes wake up, conscious but still in a dream state, and think I'm seeing dark shadowy figures in the room, bugs in my bed, my dog lying on the floor (he doesn't have access to the bedroom), etc.

I might be crazy

I've also had sleep paralysis. It's horrible.

I'm not paralyzed though. I'm immediately active, moving around, acting mostly consciously - it just takes a minute for my frontal lobe to come online and realize none of it is real.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I sometimes do talk in my sleep and then I wake up because of me talking. I whack my head and go back to sleep. I can't remember sleepwalking. One of my sisters did. She dragged her sheets with her and said: nah, it's so cold I'm going back home. I never experienced that but I did manage to wake up at the wrong side of the bed a few times. My feet were on my pillow. I never know how I managed to do that.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I apparently did this a lot when I was very young, before school age. But I don't remember any of those and it stopped when I was about five. After that it only ever happened one more time but for a very specific reason. That case, I do remember. It's the only one I do remember. When I was perhaps eleven or so, I stayed up all night for the first time in my life (something I do several times a month now) at a slumber party at a friend's house. None of us had any sleep because we didn't trust each other not to play pranks on each other. When my parents picked me up, instead of going home they said we were going to Sioux Falls, the biggest city in my state, and that we'd be there all day. I fell asleep on the way there. And then I had dreams about doing the kind of things we would do there: Walking around a store, talking in the car, walking around the mall (we never go there anymore), eating at a restaurant, the usual stuff. In a usual dream fashion like you're just along for the ride and things just happen, you do and say things without being in control, you're on autopilot. And then when I woke up, I was on the couch at our house. And then.......... I find out it was nighttime., and everything I had dreamed about actually happened and I sleepwalked the entire day. Carried on legible conversations, navigated crowded stores without getting lost or getting separated, and I even handled a steak knife, all on autopilot while asleep. It was a very weird day. Nothing like that has happened since. I don't react that way to staying up all night anymore. I have never sleepwalked since then.

Beauts

I'm not paralyzed though. I'm immediately active, moving around, acting mostly consciously - it just takes a minute for my frontal lobe to come online and realize none of it is real.

Hmm I guess not then, it's probably as you said, your brain taking a second to wake up properly. One time my alarm went off but I didn't wake properly and I dreamt I went downstairs, drank tea, showered got dressed and went to work... Then I woke up for real and I was two hours late.

Hahaha, that reminds me of a trick my brain plays on me sometimes - the alarm goes off and I'm convinced it's Sunday and I forgot to turn it off. Obviously, it never was Sunday when that happened.

Salem

SICK
I dunno if it counts, but one time when I was little, I woke up but I still hear some voices from my dream(at least I think so) and they were loud and scary so i thought I was going insane.

ectoBiologist

Still Fandom Trash
I've always sleep walked, and talked. Especially talking. I've said some creepy and off the wall things before, according to other people, and have even reacted to things in real life, while dreaming of reacting to them.

With sleep walking, I often fall asleep somewhere, like on my couch, and sleep walk back to bed. Guess my brain has memorized how to get to my room from every part of the house XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom