• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Parallels of Majoras Mask.

Im sure many of you know of the theory that everyone in Termina is a parallel to someone in Hyrule. I always thought that this concept was very interesting. But the thing I always thought was the most interesting was the theory that links parallel was Kafei. The evidence was that Link who was forced to go back and be a child but had already experienced being an adult and that there was no way that he could go back and be a carefree child. And Kafei who was forced to be a child as well. I was just curious to your views on the parallel theory and if you think it holds any weight.

Garo

Boy Wonder
It's an interesting theory to explain some of Termina's oddities and bizarre characters, but to be wholly honest, I don't think it carries much meaning in the overall scope of things.

And I personally love Majora's Mask, and think that explaining it in a way that is essentially "Hyrule, but with a weird twist" devalues the mystique of the game as whole.

amaterasu

Writer
that's kind of interesting. I actually got MM recently, so when i get home and am able to play it, i'll make sure to check for any more parrallels other than this one.

In OoT, you could control the sun with the Sun's Song. In MM you could only get the 4 giants to push the moon back up and save the world. Or play the Song of Time and go back in time, but other than that YOU CANT CONROL THE MOON. Control and not controlling are paralells and so are the moon and the sun.
BTW, glad to see you didn't leave us captianchew.

I mean this could potentially explain why pretty much the characters from oot and mm look alike maybe. And like The gorons live in an icy place in mm and a volcano in oot. the pirates live by the ocean in mm and the gerudos live in the desert in oot. I dunno alot of things dont work but its worth thinking about.

Fierce

Deity Link
Here's a fun thing to think about: Inverting Link's colors makes someone that resembles Kafei.
Inversion of orangeish yellow = blueish purple (Hair). Inversion of greenish blue= redish orange.

Not an exact invert but interesting none-the-less.

However, I think Kafei is the mirror of Zelda. His father is the Mayor, i.e. king. Perhaps the Hyrule version of Mayor Dotour is in fact the King of Hyrule. The sprite is never shown, but the mirror version of the Hyrule guards, the Clocktown Gate Keepers serve him... it would only make sense that he would be the mirror version of the king as well. The Queen of Hyrule is also never seen, meaning the Postmistress could be a parallel as well. Family is the same as it is in Hyrule... this is proven as Anju's grandmother is the same in both games. The Carpenter, Mutoh likely refers to Anju's mother as his wife as well considering she's the only other unmarried woman around his age. He wonders if his wife has escaped (the woman around his age is Anju's mother and she goads anju about escaping to Romani Ranch) saying his "son" in the Japanese version has already escaped.

However, the family connection is a bit off, seeing as how Talon = Mr. Barten and not Cremia's father. The dimensions are very strange indeed.

Who is Link's parallel then? I believe the Butler's son, Darmani, and Mikau are all his mirrors. Hard to believe that they all died at the same time... Perhaps if ones mirror enters the other dimension, the others die in some way. Multiverse theory is a bit complex though so I'll just leave it at that. I have an enormous amount of theories for Majora's mask. Another possibility is that Link's mirror ancestor died off a long time ago, succumbing to evil... (Fierce Deity) But that's a theory for another topic.

Z e l d a
K a f e i

Even the names appear similar.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Not everyone is a parallel. There are plenty original characters in Termina. Like Kafei, the Bombers, the Indigo-Go's (save Lulu, I believe she's Ruto's design), Toto (their manager)... There are more than enough characters for not everyone to be a parallel. Some people are just original to the world.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
Ingo was split into thre aprts for Majora's Mask: the Gorman Brothers.
Brothers 1 and 2 stayed at the ranch and became untrustworthy, also feeling inferior to their brother.
Brother 3 left to join the circus and became head of the Gorman Troupe. He feels inferior to his brothers.

S

SheikahPrincess

Not everyone is a parallel. There are plenty original characters in Termina. Like Kafei, the Bombers, the Indigo-Go's (save Lulu, I believe she's Ruto's design), Toto (their manager)... There are more than enough characters for not everyone to be a parallel. Some people are just original to the world.

Pardon me, first post, but if I recall, The Bombers are all mirrors of the little boy in the Kakariko graveyeard in Oot, he himself choosing to be alone, disregarding everyone else while the bombers are a close knit group just wanting to help everyone else.

And I always assumed Toto was King Zora's parallel. He's probably one of the most important people in the Zora Community in MM. I guess that would be kind of equivalent to a king/ruler.

(just disregard me, I'll go back to lurking . . . :embarrassed:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thing i think is that the mood can be a parallel for Ganondorf look very similar! they could also be parallels.

M

muzikid93

Please forgive my first time user faux pas....
I really like this theory and think that it holds a lot of weight if you believe the whole parallel theory. However, I also think that it could be possible that Link just didn't have a parallel because he can enter alternate universes/worlds. All of the other characters remained in their own separate worlds except for (supposedly) the Happy Mask Salesman, Skull Kid, and Link. Maybe they all just don't have parallels. I also especially enjoy the thought that maybe Tingle could be Link's parallel. He's stuck as an adult, but longs to be a child, which is the opposite of Link, and they were both (possibly) looking for fairy companions. Obviously though, this theory doesn't hold much truth, but it still makes me smirk every time I see Tingle in the game.

My thoughts on this subject is that Kafei does happen to be Link's parallel, and that's not based merely off looks. In an older thread about this same subject, I used events that happened in both Link's and Kafei's lives to explain how it could be possible. To sum it up, they've both been through similar things. In Ocarina of Time, Link is a kid, then sealed in the Chamber of Sages to become an adult. In Majora's Mask, Kafei is an adult, and transformed into a kid. Opposite, but these events do happen to be alike.

Another similarity, that is again opposite between the two, is Link's Ocarina of Time and Kafei's Pendant of Memories. Both are items that are precious to them. Link received the Ocarina of Time from Princess Zelda. Kafei gives the Pendant of Memories to Anju, through Link of course.

KratosFan

JUDGEMENT!
Isn't this already a pretty popular theory to begin with? I mean, not JUST the Link and Kafei thing, but the whole parallel dimension and all the characters being the same thing. It's even referenced in chapter one of the manga I believe, although, that can't really be considered as canon anyway.

I personally agree with both theories. The one about most of the characters being parallel is fairly straight forward, and makes a lot of sense, seeing as a lot of key characters throughout the game are considerably similar in not only appearance, but personality to characters throughout Ocarina of Time. It seems most of the people that look the same either have the same, or exact opposite personalities.... *cough* Ruto *cough*. As I also stated before, the manga references it, when Link runs into I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, the Gorman Troupe in Clock Town. He notes that Ingo looks very similar to the person he sees there, and I think he even confuses him for Ingo at first.

As for the Link and Kafei thing, I really don't have much to add to it other than what Danny already said in the previous post. The only other thing I can think of to support it that, surprisingly, no one has mentioned yet in this thread, is that, of course not counting transformation masks, Kafei is the only character other than Link that you ever get to play as in any Zelda game, at least as far as I know. Dang. THAT was a run-on sentence, oh gosh haha. Was there any other way I could have worded it though? Eh, whatever.

As for the Link and Kafei thing, I really don't have much to add to it other than what Danny already said in the previous post. The only other thing I can think of to support it that, surprisingly, no one has mentioned yet in this thread, is that, of course not counting transformation masks, Kafei is the only character other than Link that you ever get to play as in any Zelda game, at least as far as I know. Dang. THAT was a run-on sentence, oh gosh haha. Was there any other way I could have worded it though? Eh, whatever.

you get to play as a child goron (I don't remember the name off the top of my head) in PH in the Goron Temple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom