• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Paperclips Banned in Manchester Because of Risk of Injury

Djinn

and Tonic
NHS Manchester chiefs ban metal paper clips after worker cuts finger on one - Mirror Online

NHS health and safety chiefs ban 'dangerous' metal paper clips | Metro.co.uk

NHS health and safety chiefs ban 'dangerous' metal paper clips (Metro)

Metal Paper Clips Banned By NHS Health and Safety Police Because They're Just Too Dangerous | Gizmodo UK

At a first glance I thought that there was just no way this could be true, it even looks like a parody of a health conscious law. But it happened. And immediately I thought to myself, I have cut myself and drawn more blood from the paper itself than all the paperclips I or anyone I have ever known to use combined.

Then again, this happened as well.
Girl, 14, banned from buying Glee stationery because ¿lethal¿ pencil sharpener ¿could be used as a weapon¿ | Mail Online

And I cannot help but think that you need a few tools (some of which are a bit more dangerous than the tiny blade in the sharpener) just to pry that little blade out of the plastic in the first place. Or else all you are threatening are people with unnaturally tiny pinkie fingers. Maybe toes, not too sure on the level of toe threat since they are most often shielded with things like socks and shoes.

:lol: That's the crazy laws of today. Health and safety extreme. :lol:
Soon everyone will have to live in padded houses. :lol:

masterSword2

Smile!
Well they'd better get rid of all their pens and pencils, considering most are sharper than paperclips.

Governments are stupid. Why do otherwise reasonable people yield so much control to these idiots?

It's because everyone wants to cut down the deathrate. :lol: You can' always protect everyone. It get's so silly and this happens. :lol:

Cel-Shaded Deku

Ha ha, charade you are!
Rapin' your churches, burnin' your women!
I don't even know how to respond to this. What can I say about this that you are not already thinking? I mean, of all of the dangerous things in the world were're banning metal paperclips and pencil sharpeners? Who has died because of a paperclip or a pencil? Thousands of people die from alcohol and tobacco every year, and even though I still don't think they should be banned for that, that's still a much better reason than "someone poked their finger with a paperclip" or "pencils could potentially be lethal". Anything can be lethal! If you shove a newspaper down someone's throat they'll suffocate.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Well this does not really surprise me. We live in such a nanny state. You can't buy knives until you are 18 for some reason, however you can buy a screwdriver and then go and shove it through somebody's eye socket. I'd rather be killed by a knife to be honest. If somebody wants a knife, they can get one from home.

I usually prefer there to be more laws with a stricter government, but this is just stupid. Why don't they worry about stuff such as gun laws, or something that is actually a threat to people?

Rachel

be vigitant
They ban paper clips but not more lethal weapons that don't require a certain a degree of skill to injure yourself or another person with such as a paper clip.

onidarklink2

An Hero of our Time
I accidentally poked my hand with a pencil in school once, might as well ban those too.

How about scissors? They're a sharp object, may as well add them to the list.

People hurt themselves in car accidents all the time, why not ban cars as well?

This is just..........who the hell puts these people in charge of the government?

TF/HH

TwilightFlame/HylianHero
Why can't we be like the 70s where nobody gave a crap about how safe we were?

Raindrop14

Soldier for Christ!
Ugh, this is so stupid. Might as well ban everything if your going to ban pencil sharpeners. It's really stupid. The government tries so hard to "keep kids safe", but really, they make the dumbest decisions ever. I say this is stupid, and they should let the girl but the pencil sharpener.

As for paperclips, it's very usefull, and one guy getting a "small cut" isn't the end of the human race. Keep paperclips in use!

The government is so stupid. :facepalm:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
This is, perhaps, the best rule ever made. Think about it -- we're banning a freaking lethal item that is in everday use! Who would've thought that silly ol' paperclip hanging your child's achievement to some folder could've KILLED him? I know, we should petition for AIR to be banned next. That'll show those punks.

/sarcastic post/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom