• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Paper Mario: Which Generation?

So we have Paper Mario (N64), PM: The Thousand Year Door (GC) and Super Paper Mario (Wii).
For those who have played two or three of them, which do you prefer? Why?
My personal favorite has to be the original. I played them in order, but the first is still the best. It's a little silly, but that's part of why I like it. I thought the storyline was fun and cute, the characters amusing, and the game in general was just...fun! (I especially liked playing as Peach in bowser's castle). I had an absolute blast playing it, enough so that I've played through five or six times. :lol: TTYD was fun, and I liked the levels but so much the plot. I thought the whole Grodus thing was kind of dumb, personally. He never struck me as much of a villain. the villians WERE funny though. Got to give the makers credit for that. I didn't like how purely 2D some of it was though. At least in the original they made it look a 3D 2D ish (if that makes sense) but it was just completely flat in TTYD. The boses looked literally like cardboard. I LOVED the "curse" skills though. And I guess playing as Peach was fun, but not bowser.Those were lots of fun. I didn't like the world very much though. :shake: Super Paper Mario was just...well, I suppose it was fun. Paper Mario is just not a wii-style game. There's no movement with the wiimote, so it's really just like pressing buttons and moving a control stick. I don't think games like that belong on the wii...I also didn't like playing as bowser and luigi. That's just so non-Mario it's not even funny.

ShadowDiety

Nanomachines, son.
Original is probably my favorite just because of how much more of a nostalgia rush I get playing it than I do TTYD or SPM. In the end I love all 3 in the series, even Super Paper Mario for its villains, plot, and you could play as Luigi.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Thousand Year Door is easily the best of the bunch. Sure, it has the least amount of helpers, but the moves it has are fantastic and the level design and gameplay are mind-blowing. This was one of the few games the GameCube had that was worth the hardcore gamer's money.

The only one I've played is The Thousand Year Door, but I sunk a lot of hours into that beast and thoroughly enjoyed it, not to mention it's what got me into the Paper Mario series and is why I'm eagerly awaiting Sticker Star. Given my knowledge about the games, I think I'll like Super Paper Mario second best, and the original will be my least favorite (not saying much), though I think I heard the first is less linear? So I dunno.

TTYD was fun, and I liked the levels but so much the plot. I thought the whole Grodus thing was kind of dumb, personally. He never struck me as much of a villain. the villians WERE funny though. Got to give the makers credit for that. I didn't like how purely 2D some of it was though. At least in the original they made it look a 3D 2D ish (if that makes sense) but it was just completely flat in TTYD. The boses looked literally like cardboard. I LOVED the "curse" skills though. And I guess playing as Peach was fun, but not bowser.Those were lots of fun. I didn't like the world very much though. :shake:
I would not say that Grodus was a focal element of the plot. He and Bowser together were more like rivals along the way through the primary storyline, and I felt that a lot of the individual area stories were paramount over the X-Nauts (the X-Nauts were completely irrelevant in a handful of the area stories, like Glitzville and Twilight Town). And I loved the end storyline of the game and the character development along the way. Very epic for a Mario game.

As I understand it with the graphics, a large reason for that was to make the artstyle more... pure. They were shying away from a mix of the styles to have it feel more like its paper theme overall. I dunno, though; never played the original.

Personally I prefer the original. The creativity of the story line, dialogue, and the levels were very fantastic for its time. I love Thousand Year Door and Super Paper Mario, but they were building off the amazing source material they had that Paper Mario created for them. I love the original so much I'm actually finishing up a let's play of it now haha. Thousand Year Door is my second favorite. It had a fantastic story, but the best thing about the story was that it was something new. Bowser didn't kidnap Peach in this one and there was a big overall reason for the kidnapping of Peach by Grodus. I also loved the variety of the levels in this game which is why it comes close to my number one Paper Mario game. Super Paper Mario was a good game, but there were two problems with it. The first was that even though they used the awesome witty dialogue characteristic of Paper Mario, it didn't use the RPG elements of it. It just didn't feel right when I played it, because it didn't play the same as the games before it. The second problem was that it was originally developed for the Gamecube, so the controls and stuff kind of displayed this. This made the motion controls that the game had feel really gimmicky and like they didn't belong. Either way I love every entry in the series however and cannot wait to get my hands on Sticker Stars! :)

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
Both of the ones I've played (TTYD and SPM) have each of their own perks to them. With SPM, I liked that it didn't have the turn-based system. I have nothing against that kind of system, I just prefer the other way more. With TTYD, I felt that the story was much better developed than with SPM.

Arkatox

Travelling Outcast
I grew up with the first game, but I think I like TTYD better. I absolutely love them both. Super Paper Mario is awesome, but pales in comparison to the RPGs (which is one of the reasons I'm excited for Sticker Star—along with the fact that it just looks awesome).

molgera2

The Desert-Dwelling Beast
ttyd was mmy fav its plot was good and so were the chars.spm was okay but did any of u guys know it was origionally for the gc

Fig

The Altruist
I love all 3 of them. Each one has a special feature or details that each game special and memorable. For example, Paper Mario was the original, so it started everything, thus making it memorable for the most part. Mario's first set of part were unique in their awesome ways. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, was longer than the original, I'm not trying to say that is a had reason, rather a good thing because more exploration can be done and more secrets to be found. The variety of new enemies and story elements adds to the positive list for the sequel of the Paper Mario series. Finally comes Super Paper Mario. What I really loved about this game is for the field to be in 2D rather in stage form. In this form, it saves a lot of time when fighting enemies. I also loved the 3D ability that Mario had. With all new partners, some that are very recognizable, Mario is able to save the new paper dimension. The storyline of Super Paper Mario is incredibly awesome. In conclusion, I love the entire Paper Mario series, and I hope for Paper Mario: Sticker Star will be just as amazing as its predecessors! :love:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom