• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Pain threshold

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
How is your pain threshold?? Do you go for a painkiller at the 1st niggle of pain or are you tough and get on with it??

It really depends with me.

Things like headaches can absolutely cripple me so I like to get on top of things before they cause me trouble. I've had headaches so bad that I've thought I may die.

But injuries etc aren't as much of a bother to me I just ride most of them out unless I've done some super serious damage.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
I'm probably more resilient than I think, since I tend to underestimate myself. It's hard to know for sure though, since I've never tried feeling pain in someone elses body XD
But I do think that my threshold is quite high, but it obviously depends on the type of pain we're talking about

I have never taken pain killers once in my life and I never will. The weakest I've ever been was when I strained my neck last November and just asked my mom to bring me some cigarettes, other than that I just toughed it out for the following couple days.

I have a fairly high tolerance to superficial pain, but deep pain is pretty unmanageable for me. I'm very quickly defeated by headaches and back pain. I usually preemptively take ibuprofen when I sense a headache coming because I don't want to deal with it, but for other things I hold out until I can't manage without it.

If it bleeds or bruises, I usually like the sensory feedback I get from jabbing it with my finger.

Internal pains, I'm not a fan of, especially headaches.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
I've always had a high tolerance for pain.

I've shut my fingers in a car door, had a hatch back hit me in the head, bashed my knee against a boulder while snowboarding, rolled my ankle several times skateboarding, had several groin shots, had glass in my feet once, been hit with several guitar and bass headstocks, I've had numerous scrapes and bruises, several black eyes, and have cut myself with my grandpa's knife to the bone once.

From judo and boxing, I've gotten several bloody noses, been choked, and have been slammed so hard I got whiplash on the first day of judo. It hurt, but I lived.

Never have broken a bone before, though.

But by far the worst pain I've ever had was when I still had my gall bladder. Apparently, according to the doctor, it was as hard as a table, because it was full of gallstones. Don't ask me how, my diet isn't that unhealthy.

When I still had it, I would get insane stomach pains that would cause me to double over, and twice the pain was so unbearable I threw up from it.

Got it removed, and hadn't had an issue since.

In regards to painkillers, because of the opioid crisis in America, doctors only prescribe the bare minimum, which is sensible, but even then, I hate painkillers. They make me too loopy and I don't feel in control, so I try to get off them as soon as I can bear the pain.

To me, pain is only temporary, and if I can fight through it, it's not so bad.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I hate headaches and stomachaches, but other than that I typically have a fairly high threshold. I burn myself at work 5 times a day (exaggeration) and cut myself almost as often. In those instances, nothing to do but just ignore it. I've also had several bike and ski crashes and I've been in 4 car accidents, so I guess I'm used to that kind of pain. Other than that, I broke my nose a few years ago and laughed it off, if I stub my toe I might wince for a second but otherwise go about my day, and if I get a paper cut... well actually paper cuts are ****ing brutal and anyone who says otherwise is a sociopath.

The worst pain I can recall being in was when I got flash burned from insufficient eye protection while watching someone weld from a close distance. It is the only time in my life I can recall taking painkillers since it's the only time I can recall pain actually being unbearable, probably because our eyes are so sensitive.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I used to have a very high tolerance for pain as a kid, but since I grew up and stopped playing in the woods every day I think that tolerance has weakened. I haven’t been hurt bad enough to make me stop whatever I’m doing in a long time, at least. Usually will just get some ice or a bandaid and move on, if it’s superficial. Stuff like headaches and other body pains I think I deal with well, depending on the severity.

Ragnarokio

If you don't identify as the default options of Male/Female, you may enter your gender here.
i don't typically take painkillers

i complain a lot while i'm in pain

idk what determines what my threshold is

areasell

Twilight Princess Master
I think I have a high pain tolerance. Rubbing alcohol on an open wound only makes me do a little sizzle impression

~Kilza~

The Resting Sun
For me, it tends to vary on where the pain is and how severe it is, so I can't really say what my pain threshold is since I feel like it is a case-by-case thing. In general, though, I do try to avoid taking any sort of pain medication wherever possible, so I'd have to be in a really bad way before I end up taking any to alleviate any pain I'm going through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom