• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Overworld or Dungeons?

Overworld or Dungeons?

• Overworld

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dungeons

• They're both pretty neat

• Total voters
So, which do you prefer? Do you like the challenge of a dungeon, with lots of combat, puzzle-solving, and many rooms to find your way through? Or perhaps you're more adventurous, preferring to spend your time outside, exploring the land, meeting a bunch of people, doing all the sidequests; all that entails the overworld segments in between the dungeons.

I myself like the overworld better, mostly because of the atmosphere. The atmosphere in a dungeon is usually, well, that you're in a dungeon, and that's not a very pleasant atmosphere at all.

EDIT: Omitting travel-based overworlds, for the sake of simplicity.

Last edited:
I think most people will vote for the third option, but that's boring, so I voted for the first option :). I REALLY like a nice big varied overworld :). One reason I like TP better then SS.

DarkLink17

Well then
I chose Overworld, but my choice only pertains to "free-roam" overworlds (OoT,MM,TP,LA,etc). Not travel-based like ST or PH. The only game I really in that category would have to be WW.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
For most games, both are "pretty neat" and I can't choose.

However, the dungeons in The Wind Waker are so forgettable and the overworld is so memorable (sometimes for the wrong reasons) that I can't help but like its overworld so much more. The reverse is true for Link's Awakening, Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages. Their overworlds are so draining and a bore to traverse through. I don't like the games very much, but I've had some good fun with the dungeons in those games, so, that's my answer.

Big Octo

=^)
I think they're both pretty neat. However, I think some games shine more in dungeons than overworld and vice versa. For example, I didn't think that the overworld in OoT was anything special. However, I really love the dungeons in the game. While I like both the dungeons and the overworld in The Wind Waker much, I like the Great Sea just a but more. Some games have a really good combination of both, such as Majora's Mask. I'd like future games to be outstanding in both departments.

pkfroce

Skelepuns
"Both are pretty neat." I love both! Having that sense of adventure and exploration is awesome, and combat and puzzle solving is great too!

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
The Dungeons are the meat of the series. The overworld has evolved over the years, but they are often relegated to travel and padding. The dungeons are ultimately where the most challenge and fun is. If you had to tell people what the pinnalce of a Zelda game is, it would be the dungeons.

The Overworld for sure. Sure, dungeons are where most of the challenge is at, but that doesn't mean the overworld doesn't have anything to offer. There are many nooks and crannies here and there. A few mini puzzles to find quest items, heart containers scattered across the map, and Easter eggs.

Let us look at Twilight Princess for example. That game was probably the most easiest Zelda game. Easy bosses, easy dungeons, easy puzzles. But the overworld was so epic, so colorful, so full of life. And you spent a lot of time going from one place or another, collecting items here and there, and just admiring the natural scenery.

Same with Wind Waker. The huge bulk of the game was you riding on the Great Sea, island hopping for some good pirate booty, and finding yourself some challenges. Plus, the side quests required you to be in the overworld. As for the dungeons, they weren't all that challenging, and half of them were forgetful.

Even Majora's Mask required you to do A TON of stuff in the overworld. Fetching masks and doing quests required you to go from area to area. Not only that, each location was unique and beautiful to explore. Plus, Majora's Mask overworld theme is possibly among my top 3 favorite tracks in any Zelda game.

I just posted in another thread that I thought dungeons were the highlight of Zelda games for me. Although, some games had some fantastic overworlds and side quests to complete. Majora's Mask especially had a very nice combination of difficult dungeons (too bad there were only 4...) with all of the fun mask side quests.

Salem

SICK
I chose Overworld, but my choice only pertains to "free-roam" overworlds (OoT,MM,TP,LA,etc). Not travel-based like ST or PH. The only game I really in that category would have to be WW.
I think TP is pretty close to being a travel-based/trasportation overworld, if not outright, despite the fact that you can walk in it.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
I'm definitely an overworld guy. The overworld is the reason I play Zelda games. I really enjoy exploring the world and finding all the secrets it contains. Dungeons are fine and dandy, but to me they're just a representation that I need a break from the overworld and need to continue the actual game. Most of the story also tends to be in the overworld and I really enjoy those. This is one of the reasons MM stands out so much in my eyes. Most of the game is in the overworld with only four dungeons. And WW... oh em goodness WW. So... much... to... EXPLORE!

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I personally like dungeons the most. I am not a big fan of exploration, so I try to spend as little time in the overworld as possible. The only Zelda overworlds I truly admire are Majora's Mask's and Wind Waker's. Majora's Mask's overworld had a dark and eerie atmosphere overall, but each area had it's own dark and eerie atmosphere. It's like dark and eerie was at the top and the different areas branched off from that. The Wind Waker's overworld had an adventurous atmosphere overall, but it actually made me want to explore. I never felt the need to explore in other Zelda games, and I didn't really want to. It makes me admire the Great Sea because it actually did it's job right.

Like I said, I like dungeons in all Zelda games more though. The puzzles make them fun, especially when they are themed. I also like how dungeons have a unique atmosphere that corresponds with their theme. Navigating through the entire dungeon and working your way the the boss it also fun and exciting to me. It feels like you are progressing through the game and getting stronger after each dungeon. I also like it when dungeons have puzzles based off the dungeon item. You walk in and feel weak, but after you get the dungeon item it opens up the entire dungeon. Bosses and mini-bosses are amazing too. I like them more when they fit in with the theme of the dungeon, and they are just fun to fight. I just find dungeons more exciting than the overworld.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom