• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Overworld Bosses

Overworld bosses are a fairly new concept in the series. Of the games I've played, only Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword feature overworld bosses. The reason I love overworld bosses, though, is not simply because they take outside of a dungeon, but rather that the fact that such a conflict taking place in the game's overworld allows said conflict to have an interesting and unique arena, as well as being able to accommodate a battle of impressive scale.

Too often (in my opinion) in Zelda, we are thrown a generic boss arena that, generally, is a simple circle with boundaries. In addition, many boss battles consist of both Link and the opponent generally not moving very much, both in terms of actual length and frequency. Now, this is where overworld bosses shine: Generally, with an overworld boss, there is a huge contrast between the manner in which this enemy is presented and fought and the manner in which a typical boss is presented and fought.

For example, in Twilight Princess, unless you have prior knowledge to the game, the first overworld boss likely catches you with your pants down. You enter a normal area, expecting nothing else than to come striding in on Epona and continuing skipping through your merry field of daffodils. Not so! You are immediately thrust into a completely altered Kakariko Village. This conflict ends on a horseback showdown on the Bridge of Eldin to the backdrop of the twilight curtain still shrouding Lanayru Province. Not only does this allow the battle to feature stunning scenery, but also to function completely different from any other boss battles in the game.
Unfortunately, though we fight the overworld boss four times in the game, thrice in the overworld and once in the final dungeon, he becomes increasingly more predictable and easier.

Not so in Skyward Sword! Although Skyward Sword is perhaps one of the most guilty titles when it comes to circular arenas (Ghirahim, Moldarach, Koloktos, Ghirahim again) its overworld boss features not only a huge, dynamic arena, consisting of a huge spiral ramp, but also a colossal and impressive boss to fight it in! The Imprisoned not only is one of the largest enemies ever faced in a Zelda game, but also makes extensive use of the battlefield, which is truly unique to a boss in Zelda. Very rarely have we ever had a battle in Zelda make complete use of unique terrain.
Not only this, but in complete opposite fashion to Twilight Princess's overworld boss, the Imprisoned becomes more and more difficult with each subsequent fight, and continues to throw you curveballs to keep you guessing. One can truly feel the terrain's effect on the battle as the Imprisoned uses its arms to climb up to the next level, or even fly up to the temple.

What I'm getting at here is that bosses in Zelda generally are fought in generic arenas that features little to no use of the terrain, either by the player or the boss. Although many boss battles in the past have had arenas with little quirks (for example, Bongo Bongo, Gohma in The Wind Waker, and Stallord) very rarely have we had something completely different, that occurs within a large area with fewer boundaries, featuring significant movement by both the player and the boss they seek to conquer. I suppose this is the reason I was so impressed with Scaldera in Skyward Sword; the large ramp is completely different from any other boss arena in the series. The same can be said of Goht in Majora's Mask, and I would consider this the closest thing to a large-scale overworld boss like the ones I'm talking about.

Finally, presentation. Typically, the player knows when a boss battle is about to occur. It is usually marked by a large door, the possession of a boss key, or a significant room before the boss. By using overworld bosses, the developers can catch players completely off-guard and quickly thrust a player into an epic scenario. By doing this, and doing it repetitively, they can keep a player interested in exploration, and keep them in anticipation as to what is going to happen next.

What do you think of overworld bosses, boss arenas, and the presentation of bosses in general in Zelda?

I love overworld bosses, and I really wish we will see more of them, and expand on the concept in future Zelda titles. And it may just be me, but I don't really mind the circular arena for bosses.

The Bokoblin King in Twilight Princess absolutely blew me away the first time through. The skirmish on the Bridge of Eldin was among the most memorable in franchise history. I do agree with you about him getting more predictable with each encounter. Like you, I found the overworld bosses in Skyward Sword to be a great improvement over their Twilight Princess counterparts although facing the Imprisoned under nearly the same conditions in the second and third battles was a bit redundant. It was the Bilocyte/Levias boss battle which intrigued me more and it was a shame to see it excluded from the Thunder Dragon's Lightning Round. Moreover, both Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword succeeded in terms of ending the game facing the boss in a largely open area. This felt like a great throwback to Ganon from Ocarina of Time.

Overall, the concept of overworld bosses is something I would like to see return in the franchise's future. Nintendo still has some rough edges to smooth out namely not repeating the same boss multiple times but the anticipation aspect mention in the opening post largely redeems these fights of the few flaws they possess. In order to proceed in the future, Nintendo should take a note in the various environment changes of overworld bosses from Twilight Princess while spicing up the combat a little as the company did in Skyward Sword.

I'd love to see overworld bosses become a mainstay for the Zelda franchise. I think that Twilight Princess did it better than Skyward Sword at introducing bosses into the overworld. In Twilight Princess, Link was more a victim of circumstance and so scenes like Colin being kidnapped in Kakariko village felt right for the story and you really didn't expect it, since in zelda games stepping into a place like Kakariko village is usually a peaceful affair but Twilight Princess mixed it up and I loved it.

As for Skyward Sword, i never thought of The Imprisoned as an overworld boss, just mainly a pain in the neck. Though this is because as soon as i touched down into Faron, before the cutscene outside of the Sealed Ground i KNEW that something was going to happen on that spiral playing field. It felt far too elaborately set up for me to be surprised that there was going to be a fight there.

The Thunderhead flying boss was nice though, again I expected trouble going into the thunder head but it was nice to first have to hurt the boss with your Loftwing (something Nintendo should have done more of in SS..) but fighting a boss on the back of a huge flying was a highlight of the game. =]

MiniMouseofPyru

The Notorious M.O.P.
I really hope to see more overworld bosses in future Zelda games. When I battled against King Bulbin in Twilight Princess, I was overwhelmed by this overworld boss thing. But it was fun, having bosses in the overworld and I would love to see them make a return

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
In a future title for the Wii U I want to see a massive Hyrule maybe Skyrim's size or a bit smaller and with many overworld bosses, there could be crevices to drop down and there is a Ghoma waiting for you, or you could be travelling across the vast sands of the Gerudo desert only to be attacked by a Molgera. Overworld bosses are great and should be used much more in future.

It was the Bilocyte/Levias boss battle which intrigued me more and it was a shame to see it excluded from the Thunder Dragon's Lightning Round.

I completely forgot about Levias. That battle is one of my favorites in Skyward Sword and the series as a whole. It's just an entirely alien and unique battle.
Truly brilliant.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Fighting Bosses outside the Dungeon has attracted a lot of my attention lately. The battles have been tremendous and exciting--for those that I enjoyed which are most of them, except for The Imprisoned. But King Bulbin and Bicolyte/Levias are the paradigms of their respective installments so far. I never really thought of them as Boss fights, because they go against the normal Dungeon scenario, yet they can act as a third party influence to the story and done right, as these two showed.

As for the arenas, I've always thought it would be cool if Link was captured and the antagonist had Link partake in a gladiatorial fight before him and the dark minions. They could bring in different levels of enemies, starting with standard ones, and as Link progressed through the sports, the difficulty would get harder. Eventually a Boss could come out to the coliseum to challenge him; Link would be able to use all the items he'd netted from the Dungeons to bring down the foe. Then he'd have to orchestrate an escape somehow, chop down foes he encounters, and ride away before being detected.

That's an idea that seems really cool to me.

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
I do like the idea of overworld bosses, but I don't want to see them too much. I'd much rather just see greatly improved bosses in terms of how they are fought and their areas, and how they are presented. With a few overworld bosses, but not too many

Fighting Bosses outside the Dungeon has attracted a lot of my attention lately. The battles have been tremendous and exciting--for those that I enjoyed which are most of them, except for The Imprisoned. But King Bulbin and Bicolyte/Levias are the paradigms of their respective installments so far. I never really thought of them as Boss fights, because they go against the normal Dungeon scenario, yet they can act as a third party influence to the story and done right, as these two showed.

As for the arenas, I've always thought it would be cool if Link was captured and the antagonist had Link partake in a gladiatorial fight before him and the dark minions. They could bring in different levels of enemies, starting with standard ones, and as Link progressed through the sports, the difficulty would get harder. Eventually a Boss could come out to the coliseum to challenge him; Link would be able to use all the items he'd netted from the Dungeons to bring down the foe. Then he'd have to orchestrate an escape somehow, chop down foes he encounters, and ride away before being detected.

That's an idea that seems really cool to me.

Back when Skyward Sword was being developed, when Nintendo told us that they were redoing the whole boss/dungeon layout, I was expecting to get extremely underwhelmed by a boss, only to have the boss reappear in the overworld once I was out of the dungeon.

That's what I thought they were doing with Moldarach and Ghirahim at the Temple of Time. As soon as I saw Ghirahim, I thought they had made Moldarach really lame on purpose, in order to give you a true showdown with Ghirahim. I realize the cutscene is supposed to mirror the cutscene from Ocarina of Time where Zelda escapes, but still, once it's just Ghirahim and Link alone, it could've been done.

I thought that that would be a cool thing for Nintendo to do and add a little variety to how they go about bosses; and I'm not looking for a whole redo of the boss formula. Just maybe one or two bosses in each game that are a bit unique.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Back when Skyward Sword was being developed, when Nintendo told us that they were redoing the whole boss/dungeon layout, I was expecting to get extremely underwhelmed by a boss, only to have the boss reappear in the overworld once I was out of the dungeon.

That's what I thought they were doing with Moldarach and Ghirahim at the Temple of Time. As soon as I saw Ghirahim, I thought they had made Moldarach really lame on purpose, in order to give you a true showdown with Ghirahim. I realize the cutscene is supposed to mirror the cutscene from Ocarina of Time where Zelda escapes, but still, once it's just Ghirahim and Link alone, it could've been done.

I thought that that would be a cool thing for Nintendo to do and add a little variety to how they go about bosses; and I'm not looking for a whole redo of the boss formula. Just maybe one or two bosses in each game that are a bit unique.

That would have been more believable than His Demonic Fabulousness just throwing a hissy fit and leaving.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
You left out that Phantom Hourglass had two overworld bosses.

Anyway, I love overworld bosses in Zelda. They're a nice change of pace from the typical dungeon-world-dungeon routine, and, in Skyward Sword, they were a perfect way to allow the "hit weak point/stun boss, hack and slash, repeat" style to be used without getting repetitive over the game. Most of the dungeon bosses in this game returned to the more action-based boss fights, something that had been almost absent from the series since The Wind Waker. This is how it should be. Dungeons bosses should be the ones to be remembered the most for being the thrilling ones that require more fighting, while the overworld bosses should be the giant, powerful bosses that require more strategy. It's a great balance that brings the best of both worlds of Zeldas bosses to light by not having all bosses be action, causing the thrill they bring to become stale, but (again) not causing the puzzle-oriented boss style to become repetitive. Overworld bosses need to stay in the series and be executed like they were in SS. It can only benefit the series.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
You left out that Phantom Hourglass had two overworld bosses.

Anyway, I love overworld bosses in Zelda. They're a nice change of pace from the typical dungeon-world-dungeon routine, and, in Skyward Sword, they were a perfect way to allow the "hit weak point/stun boss, hack and slash, repeat" style to be used without getting repetitive over the game. Most of the dungeon bosses in this game returned to the more action-based boss fights, something that had been almost absent from the series since The Wind Waker. This is how it should be. Dungeons bosses should be the ones to be remembered the most for being the thrilling ones that require more fighting, while the overworld bosses should be the giant, powerful bosses that require more strategy. It's a great balance that brings the best of both worlds of Zeldas bosses to light by not having all bosses be action, causing the thrill they bring to become stale, but (again) not causing the puzzle-oriented boss style to become repetitive. Overworld bosses need to stay in the series and be executed like they were in SS. It can only benefit the series.

But the Imprisoned wasn't the best execution the third time. Other than that I agree 100%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom