• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Overwatch 2 announced at Blizzcon, do you care?

Overwatch 2 was announced at Blizzcon 2019.

It will have PvE story modes and a new mode called Push.

All cosmetics and progress from Overwatch 1 will be carried forward into Overwatch 2.

Do you play Overwatch?

Do you care about the sequel?

I have a friend who is really excited about this. This same friend also said he was never playing Blizzard games ever again after their recent controversy. I don't know if it's intended to pull people back to them because of the controversy, or what, but I can't say I have an opinion on the sequel. I don't have much an opinion on Overwatch as a game. It's unfortunate their devs got political and it definitely has hurt all of their games, though. My big question is how it is going to be handled. Fortnite just launched a chapter 2, which is essentially a sequel to the game, but because its F2P, it was just handled as an update to the game and everyone is now on chapter 2. Will Overwatch 2 be like this, or will it make you buy a whole new game despite having paid for the first one? Will there be enough new content to justify it? I don't know if Blizzard can afford to be too greedy when people are already pretty pissed at them.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
My big question is how it is going to be handled.
From what I understand all of the new maps and characters for OW2 will be available in the original. Only the new PvE content will be exclusive to OW2, as well as 'engine upgrades'. I don't know exactly what that means but from what I've been able to glean from reading reactions and comments about it, OW2 will basically look nicer (although all of the new designs for characters shown so far are all much uglier that OW1) and perhaps run... smoother or something?

It's all very odd to me. Take this with a grain of salt because, as I said, I don't know much, if anything, about the technical side of things, but using two different versions of the engine, but making all PvP content — maps, characters, cosmetics — available in both, sounds like it will involve making two versions of everything. That seems like a waste of time and resources when they could just... not do a sequel and put the new content in the existing game... like they apparently are doing... :suspicious:
Jeff Kaplan says he doesn't want the playerbase to be split, but if both games use different engines (or different versions of the same engine) how will they manage to avoid that?

From what they've said, it sounds like buying OW2 simply gets you some PvE content. OW1 has seasonal PvE content and none of it is particularly good so that's a poor case for OW2. 'Engine upgrades' is pretty ambiguous, and I have to assume much of it is 'under the hood' stuff, but if this upgrade exists to make the new PvE content possible, as I've seen suggested, then I question if that's even worth it considering people play OW for PvP and will continue to do so with OW2, especially since the e-sports scene has picked up so much and Blizzard absolutely will continue to promote it as the heart of the game.

It feels a bit like a 'have your cake and eat it too' situation. Blizzard wants everyone to feel relaxed that they won't miss out if they skip OW2, but I don't see how it can maintain one cohesive playerbase with two games using different engines but sharing the same content. It's very unlikely I will get OW2, at least not unless it's on sale for about £10 (like I did with OW1), but I'll probably stay a bit informed about it to clear up my understanding of how it's all going to work.

(also, @Satan your friend sounds like they get easily influenced by, I'm assuming, Reddit)

It's all very odd to me. Take this with a grain of salt because, as I said, I don't know much, if anything, about the technical side of things, but using two different versions of the engine, but making all PvP content — maps, characters, cosmetics — available in both, sounds like it will involve making two versions of everything. That seems like a waste of time and resources when they could just... not do a sequel and put the new content in the existing game... like they apparently are doing... :suspicious:
Jeff Kaplan says he doesn't want the playerbase to be split, but if both games use different engines (or different versions of the same engine) how will they manage to avoid that?

Since it's rather likely just an incremental version of the engine, whatever new content and changes are very likely just backported to the original without much need for modification... it's essentially just like a large patch or update at that point. Still, it seems like an odd decision and antithetical to unity and keeping things together, likely a move encouraged by trendy PR departments and managers with a penchant for modern trends.

~Kilza~

The Resting Sun
I never played Overwatch, nor cared about Overwatch, so I definitely don't care about the fact there will be an Overwatch 2. Though I will say I'm not surprised by the fact they are making it.

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
Well now that this has been announced I am no longer getting the first game and will wait for this one to come out to finally try it, since the battle maps are going to be the same minus the single player campaign.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I played the first game quite a bit up until a few months ago when I lost interest and haven't played since. I don't particularly care about the sequel and I am sure most of what they are doing could just be an update for OW1 anyway. but gotta get that $$$.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom