• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Overused Words

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
What are some words that you feel are overused, either in general conversation, or by you personally.

In online conversation, 'lol' is way too overused. It doesn't even mean what it used to, where people would write it to show that they have "laughed out loud", but is now used as filler in a sentence and "continue" a casual discussion.

"It's raining"
*5 Minutes Later
"lol"

-.-

I, myself, really overuse the word 'though', especially to end of my sentences.
For instance, "You look repulsive, but I really like your hair, though." and "Link's Awakening is great. I didn't like it very much, though."
Don't know why, but I use it a lot.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
lately i've been overusing the word din and this pic
28580-din-melora.jpg

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Well, I don't know about a word that wasn't mentioned already, but a certain phrase is becoming very overused: "What it is I'm trying to talk about is I'm trying to talk about snails", or "See, what it is is it's a contraption that let's you call people". Notice how roundabout that approach is in discussion? "What it is" seems to be a prefix or sentence starter of sorts, but it's actually a superfluous way of getting a thought down. I can be just as concise and get the point across just as well by simply saying, "It's a contraption that let's you call people".

Thus, in this manner, "is" can be very overused.

masterSword2

Smile!
I think "awesome" is overused. It no longer has the same effect as it should. Awesome could now describe anything remotely good. I think this word's use should be toned down, so it can regain the same meaning it used to have.

I use the word "dude" text messaging all too often. For example:

Dude, you want to go to the mall?
Dude, that's awesome!
Dude, wanna chill?
Dude, my girlfriend hates me :(
Dude, I hate my girlfriend :(

etc.

Dan

This thread....lol ;)
I believe the words, "Bit harsh" are being overused and I'm fed up with seeing people always saying it to situations it doesn't even make sense in. It's not funny nor is it clever, it's pathetic. So can people just stop using it.

I always say "man" at the end of almost every sentence....I probobly sound like an idiot but I can't help it, man.

Dr3W21

shoegaze girl
Like, some words are like so literally overused that like, I like am literally like going to like literally going to like go literally insane. Like, literally.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
I like totally think that like lol everything like is like lol really bad like really lol really really totally lol like bad and like fabulously lol bad, but like lol good. Like, you know what lol I like mean like lol?

theoathtoorder

“Zinga-dingding!”
agree with Dr3W21-
like literally every one that says literally like literally after every word sounds valley, like.

Brodogs

Competitive TF2 Medic
Personally I find the prefix 'pseudo-' excessively used by people attempting to sound intelligent. I can tell this statement is going to come back to haunt me one day, but it's just something I've observed. :P

Big Octo

=^)
Swag, for sure. It's been overused and ruined. Now, when I hear somewhen utter the phrase or see them post it, I'll get fed up, and if the offense is repeated, I might lose some respect for them.

onidarklink2

An Hero of our Time
The top 2 most overused and abused words nowadays are "epic" and "awesome". These words are used far too often and are used to describe practically anything and everything that is considered to be very good. I feel like peoples' vocab is becoming really dumbed down when they constantly use these.

Some words I use too much are "probably" and "anyway". Not completely sure why but I tend to use these a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom