• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Overused Words

ShadowDiety

Nanomachines, son.
Some people I know say sick in the "cool way" almost every day. I hate it. I don't really overuse a word, but I go "umm/uhh" a lot.

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
Swag: I can't stand it when people say it to make themselves look cooler. In reality, it makes them look 10 times stupider. View attachment 28945

Agreed. Very much agreed. There's a kid I know at school who says "swag" all the time. If something that I would say "that's cool" about happens he says "swag". It's freaking annoying. One of my teachers actually gave a student to slap him in the head if he said swag at all this year.

Other words that are overused I think are "like" but I'm guilty of it.

I also think phrases like "to be honest" and "truthfully" are overused, mostly because of the connotation. People say (and I'm guilty of this as well, but I've been cutting back) "to be honest, I think...." and I don't like it. It implies that your aren't honest all the time.

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
Man, where do I begin?
Overused words/phrases include: like, totally, legit/legitimate, Y.O.L.O., swag, gay, epic, "call me maybe," ********, lol or lawl, OMG, seriously, whatever, I think, no way, literally, nice, so, just saying, etc.

I am guilty of overusing the following words/phrases: seeing as, on account of, moreover, and furthermore [etc]. You see, I am a sucker for fluidity in my posts. I like my sentences and paragraphs to segue into the next in a smooth manner, as to avoid disjointedness in reading. That said, it makes sense that I use the aforementioned phrases, sure. However, there are times when I think I should find better terms to fill that purpose.

Outside of that, I seem to overuse the memetic phrase "nou." I've even used it at times where it doesn't even make sense. For example, a person could be talking about the best coffee they've ever had. They'd go "Wow, I had the best coffee at Starbucks this morning" to which I reply "Nou." To be honest, though, I usually do it on purpose. Not for trolling purposes or anything, but just for the heck of it.

As for everything else, I really hate the overusage of internet memes. So many of them need to die in the worst way possible. For Pete's sake, I wish people would stop saying "YOLO." And don't even get me started on the logorrheaic usage of the word "swag." The rappers from which the word originated probably think you guys sound totally lame for using it outside of its intended context (whatever the hell that may be)...

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
I myself overuse the terms "actually", "awesome", "epic", "however", "hmmm.......", and probably others that I can't think of right now....
Oh, and the simple "..." is way too much in my writing.

For others, "eco-friendly", "tolerant", "dude", "bro", "man", "YOLO", "synergy", and "Who are you? How did you get in my house?"

Last edited:

EeveeChan

Is FINALLY out of school!
Epic is an overly used word. For example, EPIC fail, EPIC win, EPICly, EPIC score, EPIC (please use noun here). What happened to using awesome or cool, which are more overused words. Like its also an extremely overused word. You can literally use it at any part of a sentence.

"Call me maybe" is beginning to get annoying, seeing how people over use that a lot.. Especially on Facebook

Lol, dude, literally, like, fail, awesome (all of which I'm guilty of, along with the xD face)

but then there's more that I don't use like:
legit, YOLO, swag, Potato

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
Wolf Sage keeps saying reverse psychology when ever i ask a question or make a statement that seems like i am doing it for attention, but i keep telling him i don't do that. He keeps saying it anyways

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom