• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

"Overplaying" and the value of an initial playthrough

I've been having these weird thoughts lately. The more and more I play some games, specifically ones that have linear story-based progression, such as Ocarina of Time, Sonic Generations, or Wolf Among Us, the more desensitized I become to them. I don't mean in terms of violence or anything like that, just that they never hit as hard the second, third, or especially 18th time. This culminated in me watching the openings for Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 (according to my YT stats) OVER 75 TIMES EACH in the course of 3 months. The second opening used to make me cry, and now I am just so dulled to it that I don't even register half of what's going on and feel like I'll never be able to see it the same again.

Similarly, I've played OOT so many times at this point that I'm just sick to death of it. It's a great game but I've just seen it all too much. On the other hand, Majora's Mask is a game I've picked up and put down many times, but never fully restarted, and as a result its still fresh and interesting in my mind. So what games have you overplayed? Have they lost all their value, or has it just diminished for you?

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
I haven't really done many games with stories, but in general I've kinda gone through times where I'll play a game for a while, and then not for a month or two, then pick it back up again because it's been too long.

Great thread and question. I think this is kind of a situational thing, with many factors at play, though. You have to consider that not every game is revisited for the impact that a first playthrough may have delivered. Sometimes I revisit games just because they're fun. I do think this is a valid point, and I can attest to the fact that things hit a lot different in a first playthrough. I'd love to single out Breath of the Wild as being a game that just sort of loses something in following playthroughs.

So yes, I'd say a first blind playthrough will most-likely always be the most meaningful, because it's when everything unravels to you, with no expectations there to dull the impact. But while you can never play a game for the first time twice, I'd say in the case of a lot of games, a second playthrough has its own incredible degree of impact, because now you have some context, and you may pick up on new things. It's experiencing the same game through a new lens, and you're still collecting new experiences in doing so.

For some games, that "second playthrough lens" can self-perpetuate and you can keep finding new things keeping the story very much alive many, many playthroughs later. But I don't think this is an incredibly common phenomenon, as probably most games' stories are straight forward enough for this momentum to die after a few playthroughs--but there certainly are a handful of games with stories out there that do seem to do this. I think the less direct and more ambiguous the story/telling is, the more likely for this to occur. But, likewise there are games whose actual gameplay and progression yield this same effect, so the appeal of playthroughs may be less an impact of the narrative but just the immersion you feel on the gameplay side of things. Non-linearity, open-worldness, ability to sequence break... things stay fresh for many playthroughs.

Now as far as either these experiences--story or gameplay--dulling with repetition goes, I think it depends a lot on both the game and the player; why they're revisiting the game, and what the game itself has done for them in past playthroughs. In this way, it probably could be similar to rewatching a movie. Sometimes you rewatch to relive some hype you felt, maybe you rewatch for comfort, familiarity, or maybe you're rewatching to pick up on new things. Or maybe you're stressed or sad or lonely, and turn to it like an old friend. Will the overall film lose its magic as you watch it many times? Again, it's difficult to say, because maybe parts of it will, while others will not. Or maybe you'll associate it with new things, based on things going on with your life when you rewatch, and that somehow keeps it alive in a very different way. Sentimental value is a special thing.

But to close I'll say, there's parts of both films and video games that will give me chills no matter how many times I watch or play them. And I think it comes down to multiple aspects of those mediums' design like synchronizing in a way that makes it resonate very, very deeply. Like, for example, little subtle things like sound design can make your body react in ways you can't really explain. This can create an emotional moment. This can create feedback in gameplay that makes what you're doing extra satisfying. This can create atmosphere, tension, subtextual cues that put you on edge or make you feel good or experience a climatic scene in a more direct way that has you forget you're on the other side of the screen. Maybe for some people, that sort of thing would lose its meaning with time, but for me, it doesn't. I think knowing exactly what creates those scenes helps keep the impact there.

Sometimes just thinking about certain scenes in games, is enough to give me chills. Thinking about what they do, or how they work, it's kind of beyond the game and in my head now. I'll never have the same level of what the **** as a first playthrough, but I think the immense weight of scenes like that will always stick with me, no matter how many times I experience them, or whether I'm experiencing them in a playthrough or just replaying them in my head.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
When I was younger I completely sucked at video games, and when I found this game called "Fantasy Life" I was surprised to find that I actually wasn't terrible at it. Whenever I beat the game I would restart it, choosing different career paths and designing new characters for each playthrough. I mostly just loved trying to unlock all the different dialogues and actions possible. But after having played it 20-30 times all the story sections started to get dull and far too long, and I got frustrated having to re unlock areas I used to be able to access easily. By my 40-50th playthrough I had to make up storylines to keep myself entertained, pretending there was a whole layer of plot going on you can't see by the game's ordinary events. Though it's been years since I've last played it I can't bring myself to pick it up; I still remember almost every plot point and line of dialogue. So yes, overplaying can definitely ruin a game for you. Now whenever I replay something I wait until I forget a lot of the story bits, so they can be new and fascinating. Rn I'm playing through TP for my second time and keep being surprised by the story and depth. I can once again see how I felt when I first played it, and why I love this game so dearly. I'll be careful this time not to diminish that with repetition.

I completely agree. Even my favorite games ever, I've only played about 5 times because I don't want them to start to feel stale. I feel like a 3-5 year gap between playthroughs so you forget some of the details is a good sweet spot.

I also find what you described applies to me watching others play. I watched a Resident Evil streamer I follow on Twitch play Resi 8 8 times since it released in May, and I am so over that game. I don't want to see it for another 10 years.

part of this also has to do with my massive backlog and the stress that comes from replaying something when i know my backlog is itching to get started.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
part of this also has to do with my massive backlog and the stress that comes from replaying something when i know my backlog is itching to get started.
oh man I feel that, it's a really weird feeling of "guilt" for replaying a game when you could've been using that time to play one those games you bought ages ago yet still haven't touched

and yeah after a certain amount of replays, playing that game can start to feel mindless and you've dried up any fuzzy feelings you've had about it, and after that, it may take several years for it to not feel as mindless again, though sad reality is nothing can really capture the feelings from the first playthrough

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
ugh I know all about backlogs, I have a terrifyingly massive one. I am trying to not replay games (especially Pokemon) for now but remakes are fair game so I will be picking up Brilliant Diamond.

ugh I know all about backlogs, I have a terrifyingly massive one. I am trying to not replay games (especially Pokemon) for now but remakes are fair game so I will be picking up Brilliant Diamond.
mine is something like 75 games, at this point i have to go one at a time or im ****ed

I'd just like to add, that, sometimes I do feel reluctant or even stressed about the idea of replaying games I love, but I don't know if I would say that it's because I don't want them to stale, but rather, I'm just not emotionally prepared to go through them again.

But other games really are just like a home away from home so if things dull with time, it's replaced with familiarity and comfort. I can mindlessly zone out while playing Rune Factory, and that's what makes my revisits to the game enjoyable for me. Makes me happy. Secure. I know the game like the back of my hand.

Mine is over 300 cuz of Steam and my 3DS alone, I am using a random picker to choose what game I play it helps keep things different.
do you do them one at a time, a few at a time, or just chip away at each when the mood strikes? I calculated my backlog today and it was a whopping 205 total games.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
I'd just like to add, that, sometimes I do feel reluctant or even stressed about the idea of replaying games I love, but I don't know if I would say that it's because I don't want them to stale, but rather, I'm just not emotionally prepared to go through them again.
I feel this. Sometimes when I'm replaying games, if I remember there being a part that gave me trouble I'll start worrying about when I get there. Half the time it isn't as hard as it was the first time, but it can cause me to quit the replay just before (or during) that section. I'm enjoying my replay of TP so far, but I'm getting anxiety just thinking about having to redo the Zant's Hand section. So that's another problem with trying to play a game again; since you already beat it once, you're less likely to play it through all the way to the end again. Or maybe that's just me :shrugs:

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
do you do them one at a time, a few at a time, or just chip away at each when the mood strikes? I calculated my backlog today and it was a whopping 205 total games.
3 at a time with 3 different categories the one I get though the fastest & my largest one is handheld games (which includes PC cuz laptop), non HD console games is the 2nd fastest & smallest one and HD games is the slowest cuz they are in the living room & parents get in the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom