• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Overhead Zelda: Sprite-based or 3d?

For the overhead games, do you prefer the sprites or 3d models?

• Sprites

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • 3d

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
I've been wondering something. Many of us enjoy the 2d games, but which visual style of the 2d games do you like the most? From the DS games onward, every overhead Zelda game has been in 3d, just w/ the fixed perspective. The Minish Cap was the last time we got a 2d game using sprites. So the question is, do you like the sprite-based overhead Zeldas and would want to see Nintendo to return to that style? Or do you prefer the 3d style that we've been seeing lately in A Link b/w Worlds and the LA remake?

I can't see them going back to 2D sprite work with the technology we have now unless they let another indie studio make another game like Cadence.

Personally I'm fine with either. I do think the models in A Link Between Words were awful, but the models in Tri Force Heroes looked a bit better.
I also didn't like LA2019's art style all that much for a number of reasons.

I wouldn't mind seeing 2D sprite work again, there's a unique appeal to it, but I doubt we will.

I just want the next 3D models to be in a decent art style.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
I love pixel art in games, especially how it was done in games like Cadence of Hyrule, but I also appreciated how the Zelda series has approached styling 3D models on a 2D plane, like in LAHD or in the DS games.

Actually, I think the best example of 3D models on a 2D plane was in both PH and ST. Even though the pixels were noticeably large, I could imagine the same art style done right in with the 3D toon models seen from a top-down perspective, just with much better graphics to show off that art style. That's probably what I would like to see more between the two options.

With the 3DS now officially being a dead system, I don't see Nintendo usinf 2D models any longer. Though, I don't think they'll fully quit making top-down style games. What I see nintendo really doing with them is like what they did with the Link's Awakening Switch remake., Make a top-sown game but more of a clay-style graphics.

The 3DS games were super good for experimentation on graphic style, but it seems very unlikely to go back to the 2d sprites style of older games. Also for good or bad, Nintendo is never "married" with any visual style, most of the games have very different and unique art styles and I think that is good.

I prefer 3D models, but I like to see some more experimentation (LA was well done, maybe not my favorite, but it was unique), maybe some 3D style that appears to be 2D could seems great.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I absolutely adore the fully rendered 3D style of A Link Between Worlds, and the Link's Awakening remake has a really cute diorama-like style that I also like. So as much as I enjoy the sprite based games of the past, I would be fine with them just continuing with the overhead 3D style they've established over the past few years. I think it really works for Zelda, and there's really no reason to go back to the 2D sprite style because hardware limitations are hardly a thing anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom