• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Other Kingdoms

why other kingdoms like Termina Holodrum and Labrynna exist? why they want to separate themselves from Hyrule just like the Gerudos? could exist more towns outside of Hyrule?

Fig

The Altruist
You could argue that Termina technically is a kingdom within Hyrule as Link fell down a hole within the Lost Forest within Hyrule to enter Termina. Worlds don't necessarily have to always connect to make this grandiose story telling, especially in Zelda's case where it's heavily implied the games take place across many generations even if it's the same theoretical world. Many other franchises do the same thing in terms of simply creating a new world separate from "the main kingdom/world" to fit a story. Zelda is no different.

why they want to separate themselves from Hyrule just like the Gerudos? could exist more towns outside of Hyrule?

This question has me puzzled. It's not like the Gerudo willing left the kingdom of Hyrule unless I'm missing some important lore elements, that's just where they live. Same with people around the real world, some people were born to withstand harsher weather patterns be it cold fronts, dry heat, or constant humidity.

As for the second question, if you are asking for towns to exist outside of Hyrule, they do exist but for story and game play elements, the devs only programmed the world and towns that they wanted to implement for nth Zelda installment. Otherwise you would be asking for a never ending world.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
They are not. The newer source book made a point of saying they were both parallel worlds.
Except that source book also says that lorule somehow isn’t a parallel word and contradicts itself every few pages, so I think it saying that Holordrum and Labrynna are parallel worlds when they clearly aren’t in-game should be taken with a grain of salt.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Except that source book also says that lorule somehow isn’t a parallel word and contradicts itself every few pages, so I think it saying that Holordrum and Labrynna are parallel worlds when they clearly aren’t in-game should be taken with a grain of salt.

I don't see any reason to assume Lorule isn't some parallel world. You have to pass through magical gateway things in walls to reach it and no Hylian character expresses any knowledge of them. Same goes for Holodrum and Labrynna.

thePlinko

ZD Legend
I don't see any reason to assume Lorule isn't some parallel world. You have to pass through magical gateway things in walls to reach it and no Hylian character expresses any knowledge of them. Same goes for Holodrum and Labrynna.
Exactly, lorule is a parallel world, but the Zelda encyclopedia says it isnt, it’s an unreliable source.

Hylian characters do express knowledge of Holodrum and Labrynna though, or at the very least characters in Holodrum and Labrynna express knowledge of Hyrule. They specifically refer to Hyrule on multiple occasions, characters from Hyrule like Zelda and Impa visit the two kingdoms and are both referred to as being from Hyrule by others. Once you finish one of the games, certain characters specifically say that they’re moving to the kingdom in the other game. Holodrum and Labrynna are no less in the same world as Hyrule than New Hyrule or Hytopia is.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Exactly, lorule is a parallel world, but the Zelda encyclopedia says it isnt, it’s an unreliable source.

Hylian characters do express knowledge of Holodrum and Labrynna though, or at the very least characters in Holodrum and Labrynna express knowledge of Hyrule. They specifically refer to Hyrule on multiple occasions, characters from Hyrule like Zelda and Impa visit the two kingdoms and are both referred to as being from Hyrule by others. Once you finish one of the games, certain characters specifically say that they’re moving to the kingdom in the other game. Holodrum and Labrynna are no less in the same world as Hyrule than New Hyrule or Hytopia is.

Some within Holodrum and Labrynna may express knowledge of it, but there are no physical connections between those worlds and Hyrule, nor is any method of physical transportation between them shown, nor any sort of map or region that indicates cross-cultural connections. The Zelda Encyclopedia has its inaccuracies, yes, but it feels about as inaccurate as the Legend of Zelda's internal continuity.

Seeing as it's a published source book, I would trust the information within it unless that information is explicitly contradicted by something presented within the games themselves. HE says Lorule is a physical location alongside Hyrule, but it is clearly shown in ALBW not to be, thus the game's interpretation is correct. HE says Labrynna and Holodrum are parallel worlds and the games offer no conflicting information, so HE's information is correct.

thePlinko

ZD Legend
Some within Holodrum and Labrynna may express knowledge of it, but there are no physical connections between those worlds and Hyrule, nor is any method of physical transportation between them shown, nor any sort of map or region that indicates cross-cultural connections. The Zelda Encyclopedia has its inaccuracies, yes, but it feels about as inaccurate as the Legend of Zelda's internal continuity.

Seeing as it's a published source book, I would trust the information within it unless that information is explicitly contradicted by something presented within the games themselves. HE says Lorule is a physical location alongside Hyrule, but it is clearly shown in ALBW not to be, thus the game's interpretation is correct. HE says Labrynna and Holodrum are parallel worlds and the games offer no conflicting information, so HE's information is correct.
I don’t need to see someone on a plane from New York to France to know that they probably didn’t swim. There’s more indication of Holodrum and Labrynna being in the same world than there is alternate worlds. The only evidence inside or outside of the game that supports the alternate world theory is a single chart in ZE that also says that Lorule is in the same world as Hyrule. You can’t selectively use a source that’s already proven itself to be incredibly inaccurate.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I don’t need to see someone on a plane from New York to France to know that they probably didn’t swim. There’s more indication of Holodrum and Labrynna being in the same world than there is alternate worlds. The only evidence inside or outside of the game that supports the alternate world theory is a single chart in ZE that also says that Lorule is in the same world as Hyrule. You can’t selectively use a source that’s already proven itself to be incredibly inaccurate.

It's shown to be far more consistent a source than the Legend of Zelda games as a whole. The games can't even decide on geography from installment to installment.

If you live in New York, you still know that France exists in the same world because you can find France on a map. You can look up planes going to and from the same countries. You can find people who have been to both. Hyrule and every other named country in the series can't even be seen on a map together. Since the HE says they're parallel worlds and nothing in the series contradicts that (or makes any attempt at worldbuilding), then that's the canon (and because the Hyrule Encyclopedia is endorsed by Nintendo).

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer

I would have to agree that the ZE has no clue what it's talking about when it comes to Lorule. The chart on page 28 shows it as being an actual kingdom, seperate from Hyrule but still in the same world. However, on page 11 it says-
A Link Between Worlds: The Sorcerer Yuga (page 32), from a parallel world know as Lorule, targets the Triforce.
Even in the section above the chart they state-
Additionally, Lorule is a parallel world that acts as the opposite side of Hyrule, but also has it's own separate history and Triforce.
They literally just disproved themselves. I think perhaps what the book was going for is that Lorule is a parallel version of Hyrule, but because it is kept separate of Hyrule and they have no ties to each other, Lorule is it's own separate kingdom. It goes on to say on page 28-
These worlds do not ordinarily come into contact with one another, but, occasionally, some kind of trigger breaks down the barrier between them
(Makes you wonder who put the barrier up, don't it?) But the general gist is that yes, seeing as this is the inverse of Hyrule it is a "parallel world" however it does exist and is different enough to be classified as a separate entity .The more I look at this chart, the more it begins to make sense-

1628617911465.png
It's a little bit hard to read. Basically what I'm getting from this it that-
The Twilight Realm and Dark World exist outside of the "Light World" as parallel worlds, or as the book says
...while others can be seen as photo negatives of Hyrule, or, if Hyrule and that world were two sides of the same coin, Hyrule would face the light, while the other side would be in the shadow. They are counterparts and form a pair, with Hyrule being situated in the Light World and its parallel counterpart existing in places called the Dark World or the Twilight Realm, demonstrating their relationship to one another.
The worlds are fully parallel, completely opposite realms from Hyrule. Even though the Sacred Realm is listed as a Kingdom within Hyrule that doesn't mean it's a place that literally exists, but that it is within the world of Light. It exists on a different plane than Hyrule but is not an inflection of it. So not parallel, just not fully there.
Termina is shown as a parallel world within Hyrule, which I suppose makes sense. The portal to Termina exists within Hyrule. There are different versions of the Hylian citizens, just placed in a different world where everything's a little mixed up. (More info on page 36)
The only thing the don't offer an explanation for is Holodrum and Labrynna. I can find no reason why they aren't listed as kingdoms, not on the page with the chart or in their sections. Perhaps they fall under that category of-
Some exist independently of Hyrule and the world that it occupies...
On page 11 they say-
Oracle of Seasons and Ages: A young man visiting Hyrule Castle is whisked away to realms of trials known as Holodrum and Labrynna, guided by the Triforce. He becomes a hero and stops the complete revival of Ganon.
So perhaps the goddesses were bored and decided to create to worlds, stick Ganon and some random kid in them and see if he'd become a hero. Or perhaps they were just trying to justify the new timeline placement of Link's Awakening (which I still don't agree with) under some strange logic :shrugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom