• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Origins of Zelda Things

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Picsart_22-02-20_09-51-33-738.jpg

So there are a lot of things in Zelda that people remember from certain games that actually had their origins in earlier games or media. What other sorts of iconic Zelda things had their origins outside of the game for which they're known?

RouruoftheWatawara.png

Remember when the Rito were in the OoT comic but they were called the Watarara? That was cool.

"*Kalin is Riruto's childhood friend who gets kidnapped during the events of the story by monsters and Ganons henchmen. Her first kidnapping is what starts Riruto's adventure and the manga's plot."

Remember when they took a girl named Kalin who got kidnapped at the beginning of the story from the obscure 1994 Oath to Riruto manga , made him a boy named Colin and stuck him in the beginning of Twilight Princess?

No? No one remembers that cuz why the hell would you?

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Lol, I was going to do the Watarara next! They've been on my radar as the original Rito. Good call on them and jumping in BotW, lot of people entirely ignore the 2D games to their own detriment because there's so much to live about them!

Here's an obvious one that I've seen forgotten too often: the Deku in Ocarina of Time. What an odd introduction to the Deku, to have them show up only once in a pretty obscure location. Let's also point out that Link had a fairy companion in the cartoonsand the Valiant comics in 89 and 90 respectively.

Last edited:

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Nearly every thing that people praise LttP for was done in Zelda 1 and/or 2, and in some regards way better.

Also, LA wasnt the first handheld Zelda, the Zelda Game and Watch released 4 years earlier. On top of that, the Zelda Game Watch released just 2 months after the Game and Watch. The names are confusing, I know, but they’re 2 separate products that both predated LA.

Jumping in botw
People just like to conveniently forget that you could jump wherever you want in SS, not just on ledges.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Skyward Sword had light up beacons you could place in the world so you could see what direction to go towards which was a useful feature of BoTW too but as Breath of The Wild reached a wider audience than SS, the beacon thing tends to be associated with the newer game instead.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Wow, that was deep. Some iceberg going on here. I remember watching that back in the day and thinking it was awesome as a fan-film and abysmal as a licenced product. But then I liked the old cartoons. Great call on the beacons too, I really appreciated that about SS. You could also mark your map in PH, we need that ease of personalization to return.

Here's three from the same episode of the cartoon.

Picsart_22-02-21_11-07-07-689.jpgThe telescope

Picsart_22-02-21_11-07-26-570.jpgBees as weapons

Picsart_22-02-21_11-06-45-551.jpgAnd I'm definitely counting weapon durability!

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Wow, that was deep. Some iceberg going on here. I remember watching that back in the day and thinking it was awesome as a fan-film and abysmal as a licenced product. But then I liked the old cartoons. Great call on the beacons too, I really appreciated that about SS. You could also mark your map in PH, we need that ease of personalization to return.

Here's three from the same episode of the cartoon.

View attachment 56914The telescope

View attachment 56915Bees as weapons

View attachment 56916And I'm definitely counting weapon durability!
Looks like BotW and the cartoon have several similarities, if only characterization was one of them.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger

You thought Twilight Princess was the first Twilight Princess? Wrong-o! Twilight Princess wasn't as Twilight Princess as the first Twilight Princess was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom